Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @13.41 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  What do you expect for a fansite?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do you expect for a fansite?  (Read 963 times)
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: January 25, 2023 @899.73 »

What do you think is a must for a fansite?
fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023 @921.20 »

I've been thinking about this recently; here is my list:

- Homepage
Should describe the site:
-- Who it's about
-- what you can find within the pages.
-- You can also include a news feed to provide headlines or links to news articles.

About
-- Biography
-- Trivia
-- Quotes

Discography
should include links, descriptions, and info on all of their projects, e.g.
-- Albums
-- Movies
-- Books

Photo Gallery
Include photos from official appearances, magazines, photoshoots, and events. Never include paparazzi photos.

Media
Links to various forms of media:
-- Music videos
-- Movie trailers
-- Podcast appearances etc.

-- Links to official websites, IMDb, Spotify, YouTube, socials etc.
-- Links to around the web, other fan sites, and your affiliate fansites

About
-- Info about your website
-- Credits to sources
-- Thanks to the fansite subject for being awesome to inspire the website etc.

This list should be an excellent basis to get you started.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023 @884.05 »

Oh thank you, those are really good :ozwomp:
teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023 @212.49 »

fLaMEd has a good list! if its a fansite for something like a video game or movie it'd be a bit different. i imagine you could have different galleries of images, such as one for promotional images and one for images during development/production (if you can even find those!) 
fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023 @207.12 »

fLaMEd has a good list! if its a fansite for something like a video game or movie it'd be a bit different. i imagine you could have different galleries of images, such as one for promotional images and one for images during development/production (if you can even find those!)

Yeah 100%

A game fan site I would have character info, release dates, launch trailers, gameplay trailers, maps, walk-throughs, Easter eggs, cheat codes. 

For development/production images, lots of collectors editions of games would include an art book or a dvd with this type of material. 
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023 @845.42 »

besides the typical standard stuff trivia about the show/band whatever, maybe a character gallery, and other stuff, to me a must would be a fanfic page, either fic you wrote yourself or even just ones you recommend linked backed to their creators, and maybe a fanart gallerly if you have some drawing skills

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023 @443.59 »

i would expect some information about the thing, pictures of it, what you like about it, who should try it, and maybe the origins of it. and of course show how much you like the thing!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Tiffany
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023 @117.79 »

What I've always like about fansites was (1)they keep updated with the subject, whether it was movie/tv show news, or something random, (2) dedicated forum to not only the subject but a community of fans, (3) gallery of high quality images, (4) the history and any relevant info on the subject, and (5) just being updated.

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023 @2.37 »

I made this topic when I was thinking of making a new fansite and now I have made it. Neocities seems to have plenty of personal websites, but on the fansite front... not as much. I ended up using many of the tips here I think and am planning on adding more in the future so thank you a lot :happy:
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023 @610.91 »

I also want to make fansites but I am afraid of getting sued.

People who are in the Telegram group already know this but a friend of mine got sued a few weeks ago, for €14000, for having some small GIF of a pixelart guy dancing on their neocities website without permission. A random lawyer who I don't even think has anything to do with the original author wrote a warning, they challenged, and eventually lost and had to pay up.

I can't imagine how terrible it would be being sued by a large publisher like Nintendo who takes offense to you using logos, screenshots or something from their game.
So I wrote an e-mail to Ubisoft asking what their policies are, but I did not get a response :/

One more reason why copyright on art shouldn't exist, or at least fair use should be expanded to fan work.

What on earth. Like was the pixel art of some copyrighted character? Or did the lawyer represent the artist?

I've had tons of different fansites ever since I was a kid and have never had any trouble at all. It's difficult to even imagine. Considering how common things like gaming wikis are for video games etc., sharing fanwork on sites like Reddit, gaming videos and the like, going after a fansite is about the dumbest thing a company can do (unless the site is distributing leaked or pirated material).
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023 @620.05 »

The lawyer claimed to represent the artist's collective bargaining union (like GEMA), although we have no idea if this is the truth. They got it off gifcities.

Ohh those. I guess in such a case with a fansite, you could just remove the image even if it wasn't a legit claim. I would generally consider official images to be "safe ground" (assuming the company aren't idiots) and if I include fanart/videos, I try to embed the artist's original post (or add credits if the artist permits reposts). Though of course with old pixel art, I don't do that and well most people don't, the case you described is pretty weird.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023 @660.57 »

Unfortunately they had no legal recourse but to pay the fine
I'm sorry, but are you saying someone went to court over their neocities sites having a gif and the court ordered them to pay a fine to an unknown authority? I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe, but if it is true it's a very serious incident that should be widely known. There is a long and established history of fair use within the arts and media industries that very much applies here. If it did not go to court then this was almost certainly a scam; if it did go to court there will be public records outlining the case in detail and I would like to see those records immediately.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023 @672.05 »

Unfortunately they had no legal recourse but to pay the fine; it wasn't a warning, it was damages. But I can ask for more details... I don't know it all.

I think you said they got a warning from a lawyer and then challenged? So if you want to be very safe, don't challenge such a warning
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20440
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5323
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3295
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi