Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @8.94 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Building my first Neocities site (and feeling giddy about it)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Building my first Neocities site (and feeling giddy about it)  (Read 793 times)
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: January 03, 2023 @779.18 »

I decided what the front of my site and the theme of it will be: a "chat site" (not really) called Onio Cafe! It was pretty much the first thing that came into mind when coming up with a website idea. I remember visiting chatrooms in the browser back in the 90s and early 2000s as a kid, and now I want to create my own, just for the heck of it! Will it catch on? Almost definitely not. Does the Internet need another place to chat? Not at all. Am I having fun? Yes!!

Of course, that's not all it'll be. It'll also be my personal (non-professional) homepage on the web :smile: But the front page is donning a big, fat Cbox. If I knew PHP and Python, and had money for hosting, I'd prefer to make my own, but for now, Cbox. I have a little logo drawn up, and I've almost finished the layout, I just need to fill the front page with content!

Anyway, I have some questions:

1.) Do weather widgets typically send cookies? I've been thinking about adding a weather widget, but I wonder if that would clash with ideals of privacy/no-cookie mentality. If they happen to, should I avoid the addition of a weather widget? Thoughts on adding one?

I mostly want to add one as a subtle prod for small talk (on the very small chance that two people ever hold a conversation on my website.)

2.) What is really considered Web 1.0? I know the website might only contain HTML and CSS, but I wonder about the potentials of CSS3 and how I might eventually use methods or add components that weren't possible during the Web 1.0 ages. I'm also not trying to strictly adhere to Web 1.0. Would it be better to call the website part of the Indie Web?

3.) Are there any alternatives to Cbox?

4.) What would you want/expect to see in a small "chat café" website? So far I plan on adding a weblink and webring directory, the personal blog, a guestbook, buttons and an about section.

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to share the project when it's finished!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023 @946.47 »

Thats an exciting project, I sometimes wish I could go back to my first days on neocities :loved:

Have you considered instead of making a live chat - why not do an e-mail-in chat - people e-mail you their questions and answers and you post them! - You could also add your own input!

Questions:
  • Generally I would assume that all sites use cookies unless they explicitly say they don't :ohdear:
  • Web 1.0 means a website that is not dynamically generated - so this forum is Web 2.0 but EVERY site on Neocities is a 1.0 site because its a "static" site - 1.0 also sometimes refers to the aesthetic style of 90s sites - You can totally use new technologies on a modern web 1.0 site unless you explicitly want it to work correctly on 90s computers.
  • E-Mail in chat is a valid option and is very quirky :tongue:
  • If its a chat cafe, it should have chat topics like this!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023 @102.12 »

...an e-mail-in chat - people e-mail you their questions and answers and you post them! - You could also add your own input!

Ahh, this is a great idea! I'll need to implement this! I'm pretty set on the chatbox, if not for anything but the aesthetic of it (I'm not hoping that it gets a lot of use - if it does, that's fine,) but I'm absolutely adding a Q&A now. Thank you! I'll most likely have the most recent question visible on the front page, with past questions and answers on an eMail page. Love it :grin:

Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023 @660.47 »

:transport: Whelp, here's what I have so far!

https://onio.neocities.org/

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023 @891.68 »

I really love your site! But every time I visit I run into an issue with horrible loading times.. like.. I can go and make a cup of tea while some of your pages load :tongue: I think it might be todo with google fonts; something about the mix of your site, my computer and google fonts is very unhappy - it could just be me that expirences this, but you might be better off hosting the Aclonica font yourself!

https://www.1001freefonts.com/aclonica.font

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023 @38.32 »

I really love your site! But every time I visit I run into an issue with horrible loading times.. like.. I can go and make a cup of tea while some of your pages load :tongue: I think it might be todo with google fonts; something about the mix of your site, my computer and google fonts is very unhappy - it could just be me that expirences this, but you might be better off hosting the Aclonica font yourself!

https://www.1001freefonts.com/aclonica.font
Thank you!!

I'm not even sure why I had Aclonica in all the other pages, as I'm not using it anywhere but the homepage :tongue:
I'm guessing I had plans to use it in other areas.

I'm hosting it now on Neocities - do the pages load well now?

Also, little update - I've turned a "flaw" into a feature!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023 @163.66 »

It all seems to work great now! I love the pettles and sound on the about page :ozwomp: You have a very refined sensibility that really produces a unique yet familiar site - its great to see it appear from your original idea!

lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023 @562.38 »

1.0 also sometimes refers to the aesthetic style of 90s sites - You can totally use new technologies on a modern web 1.0 site unless you explicitly want it to work correctly on 90s computers.

my site doesn't work with some 90's computers due to https and html5 technology, however, you can run this site on wrp (a proxy for old browsers to display modern sites)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1917
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 26
Views: 5754
Last post January 26, 2024 @915.29
by Paprika
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4341
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi