Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @362.87 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Koyaanisqatsi (1982)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Koyaanisqatsi (1982)  (Read 443 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: March 16, 2023 @691.40 »

Im not really sure how, but my morning snoop around youtube lead me to think about this movie! It's an early timelapse movie (possibly one of the first most people would have seen) - it's also a dark visual poem - I first saw it when I was about 12 and it really stuck with me!

Probably my favourite section of it is called "The Grid" mainly because it focuses on technology that at the time would have been super modern but now seems incredibly ancient, I suppose that changes the meaning of the film a bit, and I like that! You can see most of the grid section on youtube!

And for those of you who would like to know more, there is a decent video analysis here!

Overall I found this movie really inspiring, however, I also find its pessimistic view of humanity a bit of a bummer, and honestly kinda wrong - I think that's why I like the grid scene, its one of the few parts of the movie that's not really casting a judgment, it just is what it is!

All that said; I think its particular brand of pessimism has merit and was totally important at the time it was made; as a counterpoint to mainstream 1980s culture. The footage itself and the music are really beautiful!

There are also two other films that follow it: Powaqqatsi (1988) and Naqoyqatsi (2002) although Iv not seen them and they don't seem to have the same critical acclaim.

Have you watched it? How did it impact you, and do you think it still holds up today?

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023 @797.88 »

One of my favorite films of all time. Never fails to make me cry.
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023 @80.56 »

I remember listening to the Philip Glass score before I saw it (love Glass)

The Pruitt-Igoe section is really haunting, lot of sad history to that place.

The pessimism kind of works on me but I admit that is partially because I don't like crowded places in general. The mega malls and city crowds do just make me depressed. Everything is so far removed from nature. There is something nice about the city at night though, and one of the shots sort of lingers on that feeling. The glowing elevator bouncing up and down in glass tower...

I don't know why, but the street shots really make people look inhuman? I don't know how intentional that is.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi