Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @375.22 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 49/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  [Release] LibreRing: Make your own webring!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Release] LibreRing: Make your own webring!  (Read 570 times)
« on: March 12, 2023 @642.81 »

Hey there!

Due to frustrations with the popular options for creating a webring, I decided to write my own webring script from scratch that addresses all of these issues!

Its notable improvements over various alternatives include:
  • Works flawlessly with XHTML sites too due to properly formatted and closed HTML tags.
  • Licensed as free and open source software under a sane, legally enforceable and free license: the LGPL v3 or later.
  • A main logo badge, next/previous site links, a random site feature, and an info button.
  • All in one richly commented and easy to understand javascript file; sacrificing technical elegance for readability.
  • Customizable; both a text and a graphical template included, plus you can just edit the HTML in the script to change its output.

Feel free to set up your own LibreRing, and if you do so, consider joining the official LibreRing users' webring on the same site, designed to be a meta-webring to discover more webrings!
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023 @737.79 »

This is cool! We definitely need a few ring script alternatives!  :grin:

HOWEVER, since you are someone who tends to appreciate a bit of pickiness about details; I made a few edits for you  :tongue: (I haven't tested this so made needs a fix or two, also feel free to ignore if you don't like this approach)

In general, it's better not to use global variables; particularly if your script is gonna run on someone else's site where you don't know what other scripts they might have and they might even have multiple instances of your script running! I can see you avoided that a bit by using the ring name in the variable names, but it's still better to use a single global object that you can be sure is unique. Also simplified a few of the if/else statements for clarity, and merged the duplicated URLs since most people won't need to edit those.

* ring-code-edit.js (8.97 kB - downloaded 17 times.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023 @740.35 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023 @765.32 »

HOWEVER, since you are someone who tends to appreciate a bit of pickiness about details; I made a few edits for you  :tongue: (I haven't tested this so made needs a fix or two, also feel free to ignore if you don't like this approach)

Hey Melon, thanks for the suggestions!
The WEBRINGNAME array holding all data is a cool idea, and with your permission I'd merge the all-in-one-array approach into the file.

However, some of the other things are by design:
  • 'let' and 'const' were added to the Javascript standard in 2015 and therefore will break compatibility with older systems. I will keep using vars for that reason.
  • The image URLs were not concatenated because many people do not have their webring on the top level: if the ring URL is example.com/webring.html, then .../webring.html/badge.png won't make sense.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023 @776.39 »

Thats a good point, I didn't think about older browsers  :omg:  And of course, I posted it so you could merge changes if you wanted to!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023 @931.46 »

Hey this is awesome! I would love to set this up but when I clicked to download the JS file it just opened it in a new tab, is this just a firefox issue?

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023 @976.47 »

Hey this is awesome! I would love to set this up but when I clicked to download the JS file it just opened it in a new tab, is this just a firefox issue?

Yeah Firefox does that, just right click and "save page".
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2053
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Gans
sleepyXTRA - Inside The Mind of The Lo-Fi Artist - released FREE!

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 0
Views: 1226
Last post January 21, 2022 @429.43
by ellievoyyd
An enemy from the game I'm trying to make

Started by Grafo VolaveruntBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 1411
Last post March 22, 2022 @61.42
by Grafo Volaverunt

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi