Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @577.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 58/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  2D Zelda games!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2D Zelda games!  (Read 266 times)
Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: January 12, 2024 @1.22 »

To any and all Legend of Zelda fans: What are your opinions on the older 2D games? Have you played any of them? If so, which ones, and did you enjoy them (and what did you like about them)? As someone who finds themselves more fond of the 2D games than the 3D games (even though I do dearly love Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks) I never really see them get any love, and I'd love to know if anyone else likes them!

My favorite 2D Legend of Zelda game (and favorite Legend of Zelda game in general) is Minish Cap! I loved witnessing the creation of the Four Sword used in Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, and I thought Vaati was such a fun villain. I also really like the original Legend of Zelda from 1986 and its sequel, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (even if the latter wanted to make me tear my hair out while playing sometimes ^^;). And, of course, A Link to the Past was iconic, and Link's Awakening was silly and bittersweet in equal measure. Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons were similarly really fun!

And speaking of 2D Zelda games, fun fact! Did you know that the only weapon capable of destroying Ganon in his beast form is the Silver Arrow from the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past? :omg: The Master Sword and the Four Sword are both capable of sealing Ganon away, but only the Silver Arrows can truly defeat him. (Ganondorf, obviously, is a different story xD)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024 @40.76 »

I played Links Awakening in the GB-Color Version back in the days, and for me this is the definite 2D-Zelda :).
There was a cool HD-Version with source code on Itch a few weeks ago:
https://www.polygon.com/zelda/23999656/zelda-links-awakening-dx-hd-pc-port
ofc it got taken offline in no time by Nintendo.

I'm quite sure that I killed Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time, didn't I?

Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024 @46.90 »

Wowww, that version looks so cool!!! I'm not surprised Nintendo took it down, though :/ Still, Link's Awakening is SUCH a good name! I never looked at seagulls the same way again after playing it xD

I'm quite sure that I killed Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time, didn't I?

Actually, at the end of Ocarina of Time, Ganon was sealed into the Sacred Realm! That's what leads to the flooding of Hyrule before Wind Waker takes place—the seal eventually breaks, Ganon breaks free, the people pray for help and then the gods flood the world, creating the Great Sea! :D

Snow
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024 @60.00 »

I tend to prefer the classic 2D Zelda games, but many of the 3D games are good too. Minish Cap was my favourite 2D Zelda game as well, I haven't played it in a long time but I remember it being amazing.

A Link To The Past would be my second-favourite of the 2D games, and I even think Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link is a fun (but challenging) game.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024 @62.67 »

I was lucky enough to get a download of this from its original itch page; I've only looked at it briefly and its soooooooo cooolll! It's like a little magic toybox where everything is alive and moving smoothly around the place all at once - this is how all 2D games should be in the 2020s and shame on Nintendo for not doing this themselves (Im sure people can still find it around the web if they go looking!)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024 @775.01 »

Actually, at the end of Ocarina of Time, Ganon was sealed into the Sacred Realm! That's what leads to the flooding of Hyrule before Wind Waker takes place—the seal eventually breaks, Ganon breaks free, the people pray for help and then the gods flood the world, creating the Great Sea! :D

In my memory Link turns him into a pile of heap at the end :D. Maybe I'm ripe for Ship of Harkinian now ;).

@Melooon Hihi, got also my copy ;). The devs shipped the sourcecode and a level-editor if I'm not mistaken - so I'm sure it will stay around and might even be extended and updated!

MarcieBee
Casual Poster ⚓︎

{this personal text box intentionally left blank}

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024 @625.60 »

I played Links Awakening on that little Zelda game and watch they released a few years ago, and I adored it! The item swapping was annoying but I still had a really good time and I was surprised how engaged I got into such an old game on such an odd console. I played the remake much more recently, and it was also really good, but I honestly think I prefer the original (even though the remake is incredibly faithful.)

I played Zelda 1 on 3ds back in the day, and tried to play oracle of seasons but I never really got far into it. Link between world was really good, it was the first Zelda game I really sat down with and beat. I think I traded it with a friend for my copy of Luigis Mansion 2, good trade. Loved BOTW and TOTK, but Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask just didn't click with me for whatever reason, despite loving the stories.

Don't sweat it, it's just the internet!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4067
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1160
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1514
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi