Interests Zone > ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Time Travel

(1/1)

brisray:
I just woke up from a nice little nap on the sofa and thought I'd gone back in time. My TV had a message on it saying "Please insert disk in Drive A"

It turned out it was an early episode of Stargate SG1 and they were doing some computer "forensics."

At least I was spared "we'll just zoom in on this grainy picture of a car 1/2 mile away doing 50mph in the fog and get its license plate"

And just on case they come back...

Guest:
Floppy discs were so great. Sure, flash memory has way higher capacity but the cards are so tiny. It's a lot harder if you want to keep them in a folder for archiving. And before that we had CD-RW which was okay but the discs started to lose their write capacity a lot sooner than other media.

I still wish we had something with the form factor of a floppy disc but the memory capacity of modern storage formats. That's why UMDs were so cool in my opinion but I don't think they ever released a writable version commercially.

But on the subject of time travel, I was ostracized in sixth grade because I tried to explain causality loops and time travel paradoxes to my friends but they were raised on a steady diet of science fiction television and accused me of being fatalist. Fast forward to about decade later when I was taking Philosophy 1000 in university, I felt very vindicated. Young me was ahead of his time.

SilkSkull:
This reminds me of a super comforting site that I gotta find, it was screens of various dvds as if you had fallen asleep watching them and I used to actually use it to fall asleep to xD

Edit: Unfortunately it seems to be down now but the domain was http://youfellasleepwatchingadvd.com/

Misanthropic Monster™:

--- Quote from: SilkSkull on February 23, 2023 @157.71 ---This reminds me of a super comforting site that I gotta find, it was screens of various dvds as if you had fallen asleep watching them and I used to actually use it to fall asleep to xD

Edit: Unfortunately it seems to be down now but the domain was http://youfellasleepwatchingadvd.com/

--- End quote ---

I am so sad the site is down, I used to LOVE falling asleep and waking up to DVD screensavers and splash pages etc.

Cobra!:

--- Quote from: Guest on February 23, 2023 @47.85 ---Floppy discs were so great. Sure, flash memory has way higher capacity but the cards are so tiny. It's a lot harder if you want to keep them in a folder for archiving. And before that we had CD-RW which was okay but the discs started to lose their write capacity a lot sooner than other media.

I still wish we had something with the form factor of a floppy disc but the memory capacity of modern storage formats. That's why UMDs were so cool in my opinion but I don't think they ever released a writable version commercially.

--- End quote ---

I love any form of physical media that involves something spinning! I’m actually on the lookout for an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive and buying a Zip drive plus disks from a friend.

UMDs and HD-DVDs are really the newest technology that truly fascinates me, and it’s dirt cheap to get movies for because nobody else wants them!  :ozwomp:

I’d love to see some form of floppy disks make a comeback, not just form factor, but the way they function. I love hearing a floppy drive whir and click away reading the data!

(Also, for future reference, disks are magnetic, and discs are optical. So it’s a floppy disk :wink: )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version