Art & Games > ♖ ∙ Video Games

Cloud Gaming

(1/3) > >>

Icey!:
In a nutshell, Cloud gaming is basically a streaming service like Netflix. Except it's games instead of movies and shows. Quite recently, gaming companies have been pushing digital gaming heavily, because it's cheaper to make digital copies than physical copies, and they have a lot more control over a digital copy. However, one main flaw with digital is that they take up storage, and it can definitely add up, so companies are toying around with a subscription model where they would stream the games to you over the net. this has some pros like the consumer not having to upgrade their hardware for a little longer, or like what I said earlier with storage. But some obvious cons are that if you don't have an internet connection than you can't play your games, or plenty of input lag. Personally for me, I wouldn't mind having a streaming subscription for gaming, but I still would puffer to own my games than having to pay them to use their servers.

Nightdrift:
HMMM...I've always been someone who preferred to own physical copies of things, too -- though I can understand why studios have turned towards digital/cloud subscriptions, and some of the benefits. I wonder how the current state of the video game industry (overworked and generally unsustainable) correlates to the direction video game marketing models/strategies are taking ;0

Incidentally, while I was on a call with some friends on New Years Eve, one of them revealed they had a collection of old video game CDs from the 90's/00's...and the games actually played just fine on a modern computer, too. I get the issue of physical space for the consumer, but until cloud subscriptions can create the magic of that, I'm sitting firmly in Camp Physical (I say, as if I have purchased a video game in the last year : P).

Great topic by the way, it's fascinating to see how digital gaming has changed so much in the last thirty years.

xandra:
i honestly like xbox cloud gaming for being able to game while traveling, but that's really the only benefit for me! i was recently housesitting for a friend and i was able to play xbox games on my ipad with my xbox controller, and it really helped pass the time.

i do still want copies of everything, even if they're digital copies!

Cobra!:
I'm firmly in the camp of physical, because I think they're better in terms of archival and not relying on any corporations to access your work, (Unless that game
is online-only, but that's another topic for another day) but at least it's still possible to archive digital games.

I think streaming services will completely eliminate the ability for us to archive games. It will be impossible to even download them in order to archive them. Once they're taken down, they're gone. There's also the issue of needing a persistent internet connection, and I can only speak for myself, but my internet is far from stable or fast enough for that.

So to me, a streaming service would be bad in every way. I would not want it to happen, but as always with these things, it's probably going to happen, and there's nothing we can do about it...

Icey!:

--- Quote from: Cobra! on January 03, 2022 @874.24 ---I think streaming services will completely eliminate the ability for us to archive games. It will be impossible to even download them in order to archive them. Once they're taken down, they're gone. There's also the issue of needing a persistent internet connection, and I can only speak for myself, but my internet is far from stable or fast enough for that.

--- End quote ---

That's a pretty good point, archiving becomes harder with this approach, it's pretty hard to have the game downloadable with a subscription model since people would exploit that by downloading the games and play them offline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version