Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @59.21 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  General Animation Thread ?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: General Animation Thread ?  (Read 902 times)
Badgersaurus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Punk-Rock Mustelizard from Beyond the Stars

iMood: Badgersaurus

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: May 01, 2023 @142.70 »

Hello!
I'm a big fan of all things animated, so I figured it'd be nice to have somewhere to talk about that stuff on here. My own interests are mostly kids' TV cartoons and adult animation of all sorts but I figured a general thread would be best.

To kick it off-are there any shows you guys have been watching lately? Or anything upcoming you're excited for?
I'm really pumped for that new Genndy Tartakovsky show, Unicorn Warriors Eternal. Dumb title aside, the art is right up my alley and I really love Primal and especially Sym-Bionic Titan, so I think it'll be pretty rad.
I'm also excited for the Clone High reboot/continuation/whatever; the trailer looked fun and I like the new character designs being so over-the-top colour-wise. I feel like I never see Gen-Z street fashion depicted anywhere, or anything from current youth culture (everything about teenagers seems to be set in the 80s nowadays) so that part really charmed me. And I'm always happy about more Scudworth content (I think about "Free bacon for Scudworths? Why, I'M a Scudworth" at least once a week it feels like.)
How about you guys?

Rock n' Roll High-School...er
teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023 @294.85 »

i used to be into a lot of cartoons myself, but i've kind of fallen off over the past year perhaps? i did watch all of smiling friends recently, and i can see why it's gotten such critical acclaim! it's a fun show. i also watched a bit of home movies and i'm a big fan of the show's unusual tone and style. i can definitely see how it evolved into bob's burgers' style of humor (another show with loren bouchard's involvement).

i never finished clone high but i did see a bit of the (leaked) first episode and it honestly wasn't my thing. without gandhi, i feel like the show is missing a core part of its cast, but it was perfectly fair to have him removed.

as for upcoming titles i'm excited for, +1 to unicorn warriors eternal. i dig that initial reveal poster so much. i'm also looking forward to the next season of smiling friends, since that initial season felt a little too short for me. and also the venture bros movie!! when it was announced i was sooo excited; i really wish more people gave the show a watch so we can all have hype for the movie together :cheerR: i really enjoyed the series, and i imagine the serialized story would appeal to a lot of folks these days
Badgersaurus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023 @591.69 »

i used to be into a lot of cartoons myself, but i've kind of fallen off over the past year perhaps? i did watch all of smiling friends recently, and i can see why it's gotten such critical acclaim! it's a fun show. i also watched a bit of home movies and i'm a big fan of the show's unusual tone and style. i can definitely see how it evolved into bob's burgers' style of humor (another show with loren bouchard's involvement).

i never finished clone high but i did see a bit of the (leaked) first episode and it honestly wasn't my thing. without gandhi, i feel like the show is missing a core part of its cast, but it was perfectly fair to have him removed.

as for upcoming titles i'm excited for, +1 to unicorn warriors eternal. i dig that initial reveal poster so much. i'm also looking forward to the next season of smiling friends, since that initial season felt a little too short for me. and also the venture bros movie!! when it was announced i was sooo excited; i really wish more people gave the show a watch so we can all have hype for the movie together :cheerR: i really enjoyed the series, and i imagine the serialized story would appeal to a lot of folks these days

Home Movies is GREAT, one of my all-time favourites. I only saw a little bit of Smiling Friends but it was pretty good too. I haven't watched the Venture Bros. yet but I've heard nothing but good things and it's definately on my list.

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023 @682.35 »

I am still reeling from The Owl House finale, ahah. Talk about doing the most with what limited time and resources you were given! (And now I can be at peace that there is at last a cartoon that soothed the one qualm I had since ATLA ended way back when. And it didn't even have to become needlessly edgy or compromise its characters to do so. Thank you.)

Spoiler
(I am talking the 'forgiving protagonist vs unrepenting villain' dillemma, if you wonder.)
[close]

As far as expectations go I am waiting for any news to drop about season 2 of Arcane. I am not ready to get emotionally destroyed again, but I am.

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023 @601.45 »

YES an animation thread!! got so excited when i saw this topic title :ha:

anyway, i'm a millennial whose first great love in life--besides dinosaurs--was animation, and i am somehow only just now getting around to watching Batman: The Animated Series! gasp, i know. i had never seen it because i was a super picky child and didn't have any interest in superhero shows :drat: but my husband recently made me watch Justice League and Justice League Unlimited (because he needed me to see what a bad bitch Lex Luthor was lmao) and i was surprised by how interesting and fun it was, so from there i wanted to watch Batman because it was the DC cartoon that kickstarted that whole animated universe.

i've literally almost cried at how good the animation is in some of these episodes. the Clayface episode and the Two-Face episode in particular had me going "oh my god? this is SO fucking good?!?!" out loud at the tv, just bewildered by what i was seeing. i'm a very nonreactive viewer of movies and tv; it's almost impossible to get me to cry or get emotional, but there's just something about how ridiculously good the Batman series is, i can't imagine how cool it would have been to be a slightly older kid watching it on tv as it was airing back in 1992. if i had seen this as a 10 year old kid i probably would have actually pursued animation as a career!

another gorgeous thing i re-watched the other night is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. that's another thing my husband introduced me to, because he's much more of an anime guy than me. it's one of the coolest-looking pieces of animation i've ever seen, i think, especially toward the end when the characters all end up in this giant gothic vampire castle and a lot of wild surreal shit starts going down. something about bats and animation just make a winning combination, i guess :grin:

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023 @479.49 »

i’ve been watching digimon adventure recently! to be honest i’m kind of surprised by how good it is. it started as a bit of a generic monster of the week tie-in show but it’s gotten actually really awesome at the point i’m at. some of the battle animations get reused a lot like all the digimons main attacks but when it does get good it gets good, i like the art style a lot too. i like the characters a lot too, my fave is palmon she’s so loveable (but pretty much everyone is good!)

the villains are pretty scary too even if they’re a bit typical for a kids cartoon. especially vamdemon/myotismon! im around the last third of 01 right now, just met the four dark masters.

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Badgersaurus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023 @653.38 »

And so, like a dog to it's vomit, I return to my own thread.
Unicorn: Warriors Eternal kicks ass and everyone should watch it. Only two episodes to go now, and I am simultaneously nervous and excited to see how it ends. Thanks to Edred I now understand the whole 'tumblr sexyman' phenomena. Truly he is the only guy ever.
For some reason I cannot put into words* I was compelled to watch 'Meet the Robinsons' the other day and I really did enjoy it, which is weird because at the best of times I don't care at all for anything Disney but man it went hard. It's sappy and ridiculous but something about it just makes me happy. The overall look of the movie is interesting to me because it's from that era of CG animation that wasn't like, really good yet, but was still shooting for a hyperstylized look at least in movement and environment if not character design, so there's an unusual sort-of unintentional contrast there.
Also the main villain is hilarious, every scene he's in is hysterical.
Spoiler
mfw bowling hat (i will dedicate the next 30 years of my life to ruining my roommate's science fair project from when we were kids)
[close]
*read: Danny Elfman score and retrofuturist art direction

StrawberrySys

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023 @258.06 »

I'm cool with a general animation thread. Toy Story, The Simpsons, and Looney Tunes are such classics, and I don't want to live in a world without cartoons
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023 @941.06 »

Oh no! It's my favourite subject of them all!  :ozwomp:  :evil:

Been researching about animation styles (for academic purposes but also I picked this topic for a reason  :ok: ) and while I enjoy "full" animation (where characters are wholly redrawn in each and every frame) because I think it looks so beautiful and alive (not as in realistic, but as in organic  :dog: ), there's something to be said about limited animation, too: the one that picks carefully what is animated and what not, and for what purpose. Making animation that looks good and is affordable is truly an art, one I'd like to learn someday  :ozwomp: but I would also love to get the chance to animate something in full later down the line.  :cheerR:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

poetry thread: stuff you write, stuff you like

Started by DarmodejBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 11
Views: 2017
Last post March 06, 2024 @707.91
by grubbyfox
ANIMALZ THREAD BECAUSE I CAN LOL!

Started by hooray8Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 8
Views: 1678
Last post April 04, 2023 @831.92
by Gans
Art thread!

Started by corvidBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 2
Views: 1348
Last post April 08, 2022 @684.06
by Karius

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi