Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @255.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Mean Girls

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mean Girls  (Read 763 times)
appleAlc
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I hear the sounds of the city and dispossessed

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« on: February 06, 2023 @883.76 »

Opinions on the film Mean Girls? I watched it (again) recently with my partner (who watched it for the first time). It was a lot funnier than I'd remembered! (and more, weirdly, emotional. Janice's anger with Cady gen. made me tear up, lol)
 That soundtrack is stunning, it's gorge and perfect for the film. It's a bit of a time capsule of the early–mid 2000s, to be frank, but in one of the best ways possible. : )! Seriously, that credits cover of Dancing With Myself was stunning.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023 @852.40 by appleAlc » Logged

~~~~You can never tell the truth, but you can tell something that sounds like it~~~~
(she/her)
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023 @923.80 »

I remember thinking that it was, despite being exaggerated of course, quite accurate. It truly did capture something of the time.
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023 @13.34 »

As someone who has only heard of it in passing, I'm intrigued. I'll give it a watch tonight or tomorrow and get back to this thread!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023 @170.61 »

I think it is a great time capsule of the time! I think Damian is my fave character looking back. The man just wanted to sing Christina Aguilera and watch horror movies with his bestie.

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023 @568.08 »

The first time I saw it I was in class, funnily enough. You know how near the end of a school year teachers need to do something to fill up the time since they have nothing to teach you now that you finished everything, so they'll just put on a movie? Yeah, that was my Mean Girls experience  :ok:

I think it was... fun enough and it's interesting seeing just how Totally 2000's it is, but if I want to see a movie about viscous cliquey teenage girl in-fighting I usually prefer The Craft

Badgersaurus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Punk-Rock Mustelizard from Beyond the Stars

iMood: Badgersaurus

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023 @614.99 »

I like Mean Girls but I feel like it's the weakest of the trifecta of 'teenage-girl-clique violent-revenge movies' (Heathers and Jawbreaker being the other two.) I feel like it falls apart when it enters Lifetime Original 'Be Nice To Your Friends :(' mode at the end where the other two don't; Jawbreaker is a straight super-exagerrated comedy all the way through and Heathers has more to say about media circuses surrounding tragedy and the responsibility one has to display in their own relationships which I personally find more interesting.
I still do really like it though. Not a week goes by where I don't think about "if you have sex, you'll get pregnant and die" or anything to do with Amy Poehler's character.

Edit: Oh yeah and I had to watch it for a CALM (basically life-skills) class once! We had to fill out a little worksheet and everything. Super-weird movie to watch in school, as you could imagine.

Rock n' Roll High-School...er
zanarkand
Jr. Member ⚓︎

october | they/them

iMood: mintyorca
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023 @786.88 »

it's kind of my comfort movie honestly, either mean girls or legally blonde will be my go to when i'm feeling really down. it hasn't aged well at all so i can't recommend it to people without feeling guilty because there's a lot of slur usage and jokes that aren't cool by today's standards at allll but also it's really funny and so quotable. my favorite joke is when ms. norbury sees the kids at the mall and damien says "my nana takes her wig off when she's drunk" and ms norbury replies "your nana and i have that in common" XD it's a movie where the adults become so much more funny and relatable the older i get. i also love that it's such a time capsule of 2000's fashion and there are some really iconic looks. i recommend checking out moderngurlz's video on the fashion of mean girls, it's really interesting!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023 @793.13 »

I really like Mean Girls, even with its age and all considered and that some stuff did not age as well maybe. But similar to zanarkand, it's become a little bit of a comfort movie! Sometimes it's nice to put something really girly on.

For anyone who enjoys movies like Mean Girls, I found "Do Revenge" on Netflix to be a modern day equivalent, with some more appropriate messages for the current times. It's really fun, girly, dramatic and camp :loved:

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
zanarkand
Jr. Member ⚓︎

october | they/them

iMood: mintyorca
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023 @23.40 »

For anyone who enjoys movies like Mean Girls, I found "Do Revenge" on Netflix to be a modern day equivalent, with some more appropriate messages for the current times. It's really fun, girly, dramatic and camp :loved:

i LOVED this movie! it definitely felt like such a good update on the genre and the soundtrack is really fun!

johnnyfangs

undead crooner

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023 @675.14 »

Do Revenge has become one of my favorite movies! I've gotten really into teen girl revenge movies this year and I've been trying to watch as many of them as possible, and I think finding Do Revenge on Netflix is what set me off on that journey.

Mean Girls is a really funny movie that is a time capsule of when it came out in a way I really like. I get mildly obsessed with phones as a signifier of time and the three way call attacks, the fact that Gretchen is the only one with a cell phone, it's all so perfect of that early 2000s vibe when things were just changing. It also in being a time capsule has some things that just haven't aged well, but for me it's fermented into a fine wine (if that's how wine works I don't know).

I watched a slime tutorial of the Mean Girls musical on Broadway recently and I have to say it was very bad, but I did like how they brought in more of the animal kingdom stuff. I think it's an interesting framing device to the movie and allows Cady to not just be an outside observer, but sort of an anthropologist of "girl world". Despite the Africa stuff being very funny to me (she's just from "Africa", nowhere specific, and the trappings of it compound with the movies other racisms), I do think this element works very well in the film.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi