Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @953.06 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 45/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Dither

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dither  (Read 674 times)
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« on: March 03, 2023 @631.90 »

To my phototography fiends on the net, how do you guys feel about dithering? What makes you like/dislike it.. Feel free to add whatever to the conversation about Dithering  :dive:

Just wanna know how you guys feel about it!

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023 @667.21 »

Cinni sent me this article a long time ago and its really great In Defense of the Poor Image by Hito Steyerl
The poor image is no longer about the real thing—the originary original. Instead, it is about its own real conditions of existence: about swarm circulation, digital dispersion, fractured and flexible temporalities. It is about defiance and appropriation just as it is about conformism and exploitation.

In short: it is about reality.
Thats a totally twisted view point on image compression and I love it  :grin:

I guess its an interesting idea to pre-dither or pre-compress your own images; it changes their purpose in the same way that taking a polaroid picture changes its purpose. It become about whats missing as much as whats there. I know many people in the web revival like to do it because its a way of being more anonymous while still showing your physical world; but it also kinda shows your world the way you want it to be.. its a retro world or a dream world of pixelated memories.

And then there's all the mathematic stuff going on about how the algorithm actually does the dithering; I had fun trying out dithering styles when making this lil video.

I guess Im rambling a bit, I mostly wanted to share that article, but I think its a really fascinating topic!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023 @831.57 »

I absolutely love dithering. Not just for the look of it, but because it's really easy to edit a dithered image in relatively believable ways. Besides, y'know.. other ways. Like, if I put this image back into MSpaint, I could easily do something like... remove my eyes or make my skin blue since all of the pixels are so clear and predictable. The colors are very solid and limited, too-- so I may only need a paint bucket for most of it!

Really, I love images that encourage your brain to fill in the gaps. It's fascinating how much you can see with so little when you go as far as dithering in 2 bits. The lack of information really makes turning an image into a horrific monstrosity so much more tempting, too...

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023 @184.41 »

I like Dithering. It reminds me of the DOS/Windows 9x days!

I love seeing how older, more limited machines handle bigger images and how they dither them. Some older CD consoles even did this to videos.

Mega Race is a good example of this, this is the original on DOS:

This is the Mega CD port:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023 @186.55 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023 @205.72 »

i'm extremely pro-dithering!! there's something about the texture it lends to the image that just scratches an itch in my brain...particularly Bayer dithering. i like to incorporate dithering into my art sometimes, i'll play around with it before exporting the final image because it makes it look like something one would see on an early web art gallery.

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023 @323.65 »

Yeah, yeah, Dithering for president! Vote for Dithering!

In most cases, you really have to have eagle eyes to spot the difference anyways. At least on a computer screen. Printed out is a different case, there you probably need a soft spot for pixel graphics.

Though some images, when they're about to be converted to 256 colours, do look better without dithering. It's completly situational. My favourite way of dithering is the Bayer-cross-pattern, too. It looks very old-style!

Edit: Found an example of bad dithering. It often ruins my single-coloured plains with these dots.

* dithering.PNG (74.24 kB, 900x587 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023 @339.20 by Gans » Logged
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023 @472.56 »

When I use real life photos on my website, I usually cut their contents out crudely and then use dithering and some other methods to make them look crunchy and "digital". I love it.

doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023 @966.10 »

When I use real life photos on my website, I usually cut their contents out crudely and then use dithering and some other methods to make them look crunchy and "digital". I love it.

i love these!! they have a "digital scrapbook" kind of look to them. they also remind me of the images on oldcomputers.net. something about a picture of an object having no background, just floating on the page, feels so Correct to me.

NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rockin' at the Dance of Exis

iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023 @181.93 »

Oh man, I love me some dithering! I make pixel art, and when you make stuff like that, you often wanna keep the palette low so it looks more authentic. In order to add more detail, you gotta dither, and I had a lot of fun using it to create dirt textures the other day!
doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023 @260.10 »

i got my hands on a copy of Photoshop 7 today, and i remembered its great "save for web" feature that makes it easy to play with dithering, particularly transparency dithering. i used it to make this little Pierrot graphic for my husband's site :smile:

i wish i knew how to keep the pixels looking crisp on mobile screens, though. i've heard there's some tricks to do so, but i haven't looked too much into it. if anyone knows the secretz please share your wisdom with me!

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023 @500.65 »

i got my hands on a copy of Photoshop 7 today, and i remembered its great "save for web" feature that makes it easy to play with dithering, particularly transparency dithering. i used it to make this little Pierrot graphic for my husband's site :smile:

i wish i knew how to keep the pixels looking crisp on mobile screens, though. i've heard there's some tricks to do so, but i haven't looked too much into it. if anyone knows the secretz please share your wisdom with me!

That looks extremely cool!! I love what dithering does to images... it makes me nostalgic immediately.

As for how to make pixels render sharp on web pages; there is not much you can do because it's a browser decision, but there are some hacky CSS statements that you can use that work on most browsers to signal that images should be rendered as-they-are without filters:

Code
img {	
    image-rendering: optimizeSpeed;             /* STOP SMOOTHING, GIVE ME SPEED  */
    image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;          /* Firefox                        */
    image-rendering: -o-crisp-edges;            /* Opera                          */
    image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast; /* Chrome (and eventually Safari) */
    image-rendering: pixelated;                 /* Universal support since 2021   */
    image-rendering: optimize-contrast;         /* CSS3 Proposed                  */
}

This is what I use and it works well. I copied that off Stackoverflow though I think, not original work.
loren
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: ribose
iMood: ribose

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Learning to swim!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023 @698.39 »

it makes me happy to see so much appreciation for dithering! i love how it looks too, and i make heavy use of it on my site. in addition to the nice texture it adds, i find that limiting the color palette helps images from different sources look more cohesive.

doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023 @864.75 »

That looks extremely cool!! I love what dithering does to images... it makes me nostalgic immediately.

As for how to make pixels render sharp on web pages; there is not much you can do because it's a browser decision, but there are some hacky CSS statements that you can use that work on most browsers to signal that images should be rendered as-they-are without filters:

Code
img {	
    image-rendering: optimizeSpeed;             /* STOP SMOOTHING, GIVE ME SPEED  */
    image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;          /* Firefox                        */
    image-rendering: -o-crisp-edges;            /* Opera                          */
    image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast; /* Chrome (and eventually Safari) */
    image-rendering: pixelated;                 /* Universal support since 2021   */
    image-rendering: optimize-contrast;         /* CSS3 Proposed                  */
}

This is what I use and it works well. I copied that off Stackoverflow though I think, not original work.

thank you for this! image smoothing is so ugly lemme see them pixels

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi