Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @55.14 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Making web revival sites safer for epilepsy?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Making web revival sites safer for epilepsy?  (Read 789 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: March 06, 2023 @723.30 »

A few people mentioned that they had friends who could not participate in the web revival because of epilepsy fears. That makes me a bit sad; while animations are great; I don't think they are 100% necessary to enjoy web revival sites - I did a little digging and I'm a bit shocked by my findings! I thought it would be really easy to find a few browser add-ons that would make most websites epilepsy safe.. but there's like 1.. and it doesn't even deal with the whole issue :ohdear:

So to start off there are three issues I can identify: Animated GIFs, animations via CSS and animations via Javascript.

• You can disable animated GIFs using these instructions and they seem to work well.
  • I could not find any functional way to disable CSS animations - the few options out there don't seem to work on frame sites like mine.
  • As for Javascript.. that's a much harder issue, and maybe not a big issue, most people don't animate using JS, but it is something to think about.

I feel like it would be possible to solve the CSS and GIF animations with a simple Firefox addon, and maybe even cut down on JS. However I thought it would be a good idea to make this topic to gather any further info that people might have! I don't personally know much about this issue, but I do know that this is not something we are gonna be able to fix on a per site level, so whatever solution is out thee is gonna have to be browser side - it does seem fixable though, so it might be worth a shot! :pc:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023 @729.84 »

I think a big plus are themes or options per-website. Like the newspaper theme for Melonland! I like it very much and I am using it right now, too.
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023 @789.31 »

i think the bare minimum should be warnings before visiting pages that could cause problems at least. themes are also a great idea!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023 @439.62 »

I'm not an expert in this but would lowering brightness work?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023 @538.54 »

I'm not an expert in this but would lowering brightness work?

Not really, it's movement based. Your signature triggers it for example despite being quite dark.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023 @624.99 »

Not really, it's movement based. Your signature triggers it for example despite being quite dark.

Does it really? It's not really dim tho since it has white, less bright would be like black and grey. I've seen them do it on say, action animes that if there are flashing lights in a battle they make it dimmer so white looks grey etc. I wonder why they do it if it doesn't make a difference.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023 @698.66 »

Does it really?

It does to me as I am writing this.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023 @837.72 »

It does to me as I am writing this.

Oh I didn't know u have epilepsy. I could remove it or edit it if that would be needed
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023 @840.43 »

I'd like to clarify; my goal with this topic is not to tell people what they can or can't do on an individual level (I don't think that's very helpful); I was interested in finding tools and guides that would allow someone to set up their browser or web experience in a way that would make the whole bulk of the web safer, regardless of what sites they visit ^^

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023 @435.64 »

K-Meleon was a nice browser which disabled the image animation on a keypress. It's a beautiful browser with lots of options, but not the most compatible. There is a patched version 1.5.4 for Windows 98, that enables TLS.

For all retro epliepsy users: Mosaic from 1995 doesn't load GIF animations at all.

When image animation is disabled, the GIF will stay at Frame One. That means, the website makers could adapt their looping GIFs to start with the second half and play the first half afterwards. It will still loop, but as a static image, it would be a frame from the middle of the animation. So optimal would be frame One showing what's on the GIF. Doesn't work for longer movies in GIF format of course.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 247
Views: 21096
Last post April 23, 2024 @951.50
by DiffydaDude
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5467
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3368
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi