Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @974.77 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Neocities kinda sucks, but it's still kinda good.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Neocities kinda sucks, but it's still kinda good.  (Read 2099 times)
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023 @452.29 »

I mean, that's how nearly all big social networks grew to the size they are now: being shepherded by people who cared about it and people like it, until eventually they were either sold off or changed direction to add all of the bad things once people were hooked enough.

You could very well imagine Neocities going freemium to "cover server costs" at some point, with free sites getting a little ad banner at first, which gradually goes on to mean "premium features" like custom Javascript or unlimited upload size... you get the drift. This is plausible.

Neocities is cool, yes, but it's also a single point of failure that holds an entire subculture hostage at the moment. If it fails in some way, we're all gone; except for the few of us who self-host.

this is definitely a worry i have! especially considering that when there aren’t really good alternative free services and a lot of people won’t move to a paid one or self hosting (or at all.) it really is a bit of a monopoly. for now however they’ve not done any of that and it doesn’t look like they will in the near future at least.

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2097
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy
Are there any good resources on how to get started on C++?

Started by easy_breezyBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1138
Last post February 19, 2022 @957.49
by Melooon
I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1299
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi