Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @501.45 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  AlphaSmart, electronic typewriters, and distraction-free writing

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AlphaSmart, electronic typewriters, and distraction-free writing  (Read 625 times)
jadefyre
Casual Poster ⚓︎

now that's something I can hyperfixate on

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 23, 2023 @1.37 »

After humming and hawing for months, I finally bought an AlphaSmart Neo2 to assist with distraction-free writing!

It arrived today, and I love it already. Its screen is the old-school kind where you need light to see it, as it doesn't emit any light itself. It can hold up to 8 files of pure text, which can then be transferred to a computer via USB. I can't wait to take it to a coffee shop or something and get some writing done on a device that won't tempt me with messages, games, and all the other stuff one might find on a phone or tablet.

I've also seen some pretty cool DIY Raspberry Pi 'portable word processor' builds out there.

With the 'spiritual successor' of the AlphaSmart being the way-too-expensive FreeWrite, I was really glad to come across a much more affordable Neo2 on Ebay.

Are there any other electronic typewriter/portable word processor enthusiasts here? What setup do you have (or want to have)?

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023 @9.92 »

Looks like a pretty good device! I can't tell if its big or small, but it looks like a pretty good digital typewriter. I've seen many mechanical typewriters at my thrift stores, but i prefer typing on computers or just writing because I dont wanna take up more of my room space with vintage technology >.<"

jadefyre
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023 @18.07 »

Looks like a pretty good device! I can't tell if its big or small, but it looks like a pretty good digital typewriter. I've seen many mechanical typewriters at my thrift stores, but i prefer typing on computers or just writing because I dont wanna take up more of my room space with vintage technology >.<"

The keyboard is basically about the size of a laptop keyboard, and the device itself is thinner than I expected and pretty light-weight for a device that came out in 2007 :grin: I feel like this wouldn't take up too much space for you; might be a nice mid-way point between a computer and a mechanical typewriter.

RodFireProductions
Jr. Member ⚓︎

🍄🖤🐀

StatusCafe: rodfire8181
iMood: rodfire8181

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023 @16.74 »

I actually bought myself one of these a few months ago and was honestly disappointed by the lack of people talking about them. It's an old tech that I only see writers talk about.

I wrote a blog post after I got it and also archived all the files that were on it from the previous owner (very clearly a school). I've been using my AlphaSmart for all my written works now. It helps my easily directed brain be less distracted. I ended up buying stickers specifically for decorating it since having my belongs look pretty is good for my morale. Plus it's some stimulation.

Photo of my decorated AlphaSmart

Ignore the poor quality please :ohdear:
[close]

It can hold up to 8 files of pure text

It can hold more than 8 files. You can save, open/close, and delete files. It's just that you can only have 8 open at a time. It should say on the back the keyboard shortcuts to do so.

If you haven't already, you should look into finding a download of Neo Manager. It makes transferring bigger files quicker, plus you can transfer text onto your AlphaSmart (which is really useful). You can also find different fonts to transfer to it. If there's any extra programs installed on it you don't want (like vocabulary, calculator, etc.), you can remove them.

The keyboard is basically about the size of a laptop keyboard

The keyboard is close to the exact size of my 14" laptop keyboard. It's made adjusting to typing on it instant for me.

I very much am in love with my AlphaSmart
  :transport:

we art, web dev, and game dev
jadefyre
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023 @41.63 »

It can hold more than 8 files. You can save, open/close, and delete files. It's just that you can only have 8 open at a time. It should say on the back the keyboard shortcuts to do so.

Ooh that's so handy! Yeah, I checked out the keyboard stuff on the back but I unfortunately was in the middle of something else/had to get ready for something, so I didn't have the chance to really go through everything when I first wrote the post. But that's great news :D Especially because I have a lot of 'procrastination projects' (other WIPs) to work on when I'm mulling over whatever my main project is at the time.

If you haven't already, you should look into finding a download of Neo Manager. It makes transferring bigger files quicker, plus you can transfer text onto your AlphaSmart (which is really useful). You can also find different fonts to transfer to it. If there's any extra programs installed on it you don't want (like vocabulary, calculator, etc.), you can remove them.

I do indeed have Neo Manager! I stumbled across a post on Reddit when researching its compatibility with my computer that said I should get that, so I pre-emptively did so before the Neo2 arrived in the mail. I've used the "send" button on the Neo2 itself and can see why making that process faster would be helpful :') I'm looking forward to poking around with it more.

Now my only problem is getting over this mild creative block I'm experiencing re: writing (I know the hyperfixation train will come back 'round, as it always does) so I can use it for its intended puprose  :grin:

I like your stickers, also! Once I've "settled in" with mine, I'll probably decorate it too. I like to keep my 'new' electronics somewhat pristine for a week or two for no particular reason other than it gives me time to get the vibe right for how to decorate. :3

sword-of-stabbing
Newbie ⚓︎

And I pierced the fell beast!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024 @247.55 »

I wish resources for dysgraphia such as this were more widespread and not cast aside as soon as chromebooks became widespread--at least in US public school.

.      |
|-----|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
.      |
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024 @94.66 »

This is super cool! I know my aunt, who's something of an author herself, owns one of these. My mother bought me an original iMac last summer or so as a gift from a local auction for a pretty good price, and I had originally intended to keep it off-line in my room for distraction-free writing. However, the hard drive turned out to be dead and I never got around to replacing it, so that didn't end up happening. If I ever get back into writing (which I want to do, but don't have the time for) I'll definitely look into these!

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Cool electronics shop tour from 1993

Started by MelooonBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 1
Views: 792
Last post August 08, 2022 @570.27
by Cobra!
Should we stop writing long posts?

Started by Icey!Board ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 9
Views: 966
Last post March 07, 2023 @423.50
by Guest
A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 17
Views: 1560
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi