Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @194.50 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Alternative Search Engines

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Alternative Search Engines  (Read 776 times)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024 @612.34 »

*phew* that "digdeeper" search engine expert really reveals their bias a little ways down. Apparently search engines hide "the truth" in favour of misinfo-debunking sites and pointing out that conspiracy theories are not actually factual.

Makes me wonder how they evaluate the accuracy of anything...

Yeah, DigDeeper and the sites that it links to have some pretty nasty views, including denial of certain terrible historical events that took place in Europe at the beginning of the 20th century. Because of that, they often have useful info about alternative internet sources and privacy issues, just for vastly different reasons than most.

They are linked to frequently because of the references they have about browsers and how privacy respecting they are (or aren't). Which is fine, I just feel like it should come with a caveat.

While I'm here, here are a couple of others that haven't been mentioned yet:
http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/ - Search engine just for older games. I like the idea of specialized search engines like this, just geared towards finding one type of thing. I wish there were more.
https://metager.org/ - General purpose and run by a non-profit organization. I don't have much experience with this one.
https://searchengine.party/ - I think this was posted elsewhere on this forum maybe? It's a really great table that compares different search engines and their features

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024 @194.32 »

i too use SearxNG (envs' instance to be specific). amazing for text searches, not so much for image results, but i haven't dared to touch the settings so maybe the defaults aren't the best.
while looking for another search engine that advertised hand-picked results (and looked quite old, perhaps not intentionally) i found this fairly extensive article by the one and only Seirdy that lists a whole bunch of engines to look through.

I have no idea what I’m doing.
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024 @778.58 »

I like Startpage and DDG. I use Startpage as a main, DDG as an option, but I use google if I need something specific that those other two cannot find, or cannot help me with. Especially in non-english, they are not that good yet. But I notice DDG has greatly improved these last years with the non-english searches.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Daniel's Network Search (Discontinued)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 3
Views: 1941
Last post March 19, 2022 @479.06
by Karius
php heck: making a search engine

Started by cinniBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 1463
Last post February 22, 2022 @256.30
by ellievoyyd
Alternative transport and electric vehicles

Started by MelooonBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 13
Views: 1173
Last post January 30, 2023 @836.44
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi