Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @347.27 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Blog engines?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blog engines?  (Read 1224 times)
Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« on: March 20, 2023 @581.35 »

What blog engines have people been using? Whats your experience with them?
(self-hosting only please, no tumblr or livejournal :dog: )

I know of wordpress but I am looking for other options.

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023 @617.60 »

I've got Zonelets set up on my site: have not actually made any posts yet, but it's there. It's very lightweight (it's just some HTML and Javascript, and not much of it at that) but if it's all you need I can recommend it.

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023 @626.74 »

Hugo is a pretty big one ive tried out for the whole of a couple minutes for building whole websites (or just ya blog) - looks decent

personally, i prefer having a seperate inaccessible directory where i write documents in Markdown and then convert them to HTML in my pages directory using Pandoc and a neat lil shell script :P

i go by j, she/they :)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023 @664.07 »

I purposely wanted to try alternatives to Wordpress and went with Serendipity. It's pretty good, but there's obviously not as much support for it, so if you're looking for a wide variety of plugins you may not be able to find them here. So far it's been able to do pretty much everything I wanted it to do, though.

RodFireProductions
Jr. Member ⚓︎

🍄🖤🐀

StatusCafe: rodfire8181
iMood: rodfire8181

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023 @750.29 »

There's Jekyll, a static site generator. It has a lot of blog themes and templates.

I actually made a blog template myself called DeadLogs. It's similar to Zonelets. It's HTML and JavaScript based. The JavaScript for the navigation.

we art, web dev, and game dev
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023 @791.50 »

On my website I mainly use bashblog. It's basically a small blog generator script made in Bash and it's pretty good and easy for use. It also has Markdown support but requires you to download this Perl script and drop it in the folder where you have bashblog installed. Simply generate a blog in your local computer (in case you're on Linux or if you have bash installed) and move all the files you have made in the script to your website and you're done.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023 @605.13 by GeckoF » Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023 @819.06 »

I'm a big fan of Textpattern (I use it for my blog) - it's well-established, it integrates well with most blog publishing software, and overall it's extremely fast and lightweight. On top of that, it's easy to theme and modify with basic HTML and CSS knowledge; Iv found the community of developers to be excellent and supportive. Overall I think this should be the goto blogging platform for most people instead of WordPress with is a bloated painful mess in comparison  :tongue:

https://textpattern.com/

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023 @928.04 »

i've been using FlatPress on my site and i like it. it saves the entries as .txt files, which i like :smile:

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023 @504.38 »

I just write static blog pages and link to them in a hub. I don't like running an entire program just to put writing in hypertext.
Tiffany
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023 @918.82 »

I've been using WordPress since 2011, I mostly find that it does everything I need it to do, it's easy to work on my site without going through the Cpanel, and I think since I've been using it for so long I am attached, if I were to change it would probably be to the alternative version of WP which is ClassicPress.

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023 @422.67 »

personally for my blog, i just use some code from sadgrl.online that hides certain divs until a link to them is clicked to make my blog! its a pretty simple way to make a blog on just one page, only issue is the .html file is pretty long without anything collapsed  :dunno:

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

drakonic
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Tiny Birthday DragonJoined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023 @883.56 »

There's Jekyll, a static site generator. It has a lot of blog themes and templates.

I second Jekyll!
First I just used it as a way to automatically insert templates like a navigation header for my pages, now I use it for blogging too. It can do a lot of things automatically, like generate an RSS feed, and you have easy control over everything.

Downside with static site generators is they can be less convienient than a CMS. This plugin for Jekyll is a lifesaver for me, makes making blog posts and other pages so much less of a bother

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1031
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
What do you blog about?

Started by NightdriftBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 33
Views: 4773
Last post April 24, 2024 @797.50
by Klopnis
I'm thinking of making a blog

Started by MrsMoeBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 3
Views: 1239
Last post July 16, 2023 @208.53
by starbreaker

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi