Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @769.16 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 39/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Ceefax and Teletext

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ceefax and Teletext  (Read 784 times)
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: March 17, 2023 @282.26 »

All sorts of old technology in here, old telephone servies, 8-track cassettes...

There were TV services from the 70s and 80s I liked and they were Ceefax and Teletext. In a way a sort of precursor to the very early web. Text, very simple graphics, rudimentary animations and read only. The services lasted around 40 years, the BBC closed down Ceefax in 2012.

The services were, I think, the reason TV remotes still have the line of red, green, yellow and blue buttons on them.

* ceefax.jpg (222.72 kB, 620x388 - viewed 64 times.)

* teletext.jpg (72.33 kB, 582x450 - viewed 45 times.)
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023 @291.88 »

i was actually just the other day trying to remember what this system was called! i remember reading about it ages ago and thinking it was cool. i'm a 90s kid from the US so i never got to experience it, because it never really took off here.

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023 @361.19 »

I read somewhere it was always more of a European thing, it just didn't catch on in the US.

I always was picky about what I watched on TV and even today even though it's on most of the time, I couldn't tell you what program is on, but I liked reading the teletext pages.

There were all sorts of things being tried on TVs at the time, such as broadcasting the software for the BBC Acorn microcomputers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPcGul6g3E
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023 @364.07 by brisray » Logged
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023 @447.59 »

My parents used teletext all the way until like 2010 to get weather and sports results, so I know what it looks and works like. ^^
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023 @109.49 »

We used teletext all the time when I was growing up! Sometimes my dad was interrupt what we were watching to check weather and sports news on teletext. I never complained, because I loved their attempts at making pictures!

I recall reading somewhere that VHS recorded teletext as well as the video, and that you could access the teletext as it was when that tape was recording, is this true?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023 @30.20 »

What an interesting thought. Teletext was transmitted in the "spare" spaces in the program tranmission so it may have been recorded.

S-VHS recorders were rarer but had a higher bandwidth and people say they have successfully (sometimes) seen the recorded Teletext on those machines.

Is it possible to record Teletext?

The Teletext Museum is looking for old S-VHS tapes to decode to get the Teletext off of them.
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023 @35.73 »

UK Vintage Radio Repair has a thread about what could or couldn't record Teletext.

TVs at the time had a built-in Teletext decoder - maybe something to simply extract the images rather than anything fancy like encryption - so perhaps there were two things to worry about, recording the full bandwidth to start with and then separating the signals back out from the video tape.

bearbearbear

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023 @902.69 »

The Finnish Broadcasting Company still runs its teletext service. You can even view it over the internet! Content is in Finnish of course, but here's some pretty pictures I found:

They claim (page 898) that 780 000 people still use the service daily, but that seems too many to me.
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023 @489.55 »

Maybe the Finns just adore their Teletext. I liked the artwork, it's kinda cute - https://yle.fi/aihe/tekstitv?P=806 and https://yle.fi/tekstitv/reseptit/reseptit2009.html
Plasmon
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023 @590.49 »

Honestly, the best thing about Ceefax for us non-Brits was the acid crew.

You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch? Yeah, I’m trackin’ ’em down as we speak.
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023 @810.84 »

but but but they're British. He comes from Chelmsford of all places. Chelmsford - famous for radio and now Ceephax  :smile:
HayleyMulch
Jr. Member ⚓︎

(she/they) | if my grandmother had wheels, etc.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: hayleymulch
iMood: HayleyMulch

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023 @20.09 »

Aaaaah Teletext! Like the internet but on your telly and provided by the TV networks. I always loved seeing pictures made in Teletext and any daily trivia and puzzles that would be available.

In Ireland, the channel RTÉ had Aertel, it's own version. And funny enough, the Aertel website with all the page numbers still exist here, but now they just direct you to the appropriate part of RTÉ's website.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 17
Views: 1558
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull
Hosting a website on an Android phone

Started by shevekBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 561
Last post August 03, 2023 @703.92
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi