Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @532.96 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  how do we get the word out about this side of the web?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: how do we get the word out about this side of the web?  (Read 1356 times)
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023 @951.02 »

thank you for your insight, melon! i do want to touch on this part of what you said:

However, there is another side to this discussion and that's What does MelonLand do to promote the web revival itself? Particularly for people who are not forum members and who might not want to be? - I have mixed feelings here; on one hand I don't really like the idea of being a web missionary who goes out to save people from their Twitter feeds  :ok: However I do like the idea of giving people the information they need to learn about website making and to get into it as a hobby or art medium if they think it's correct for them.

After that I really believe in promotion through example; if we make sites that are creative, and interesting and weird and chaotic (Chaotic above all else!); then people will be intrigued and the ones who want to know more will come looking for more information. I don't think we can or should go around explaining the web revival to every passerby; we should just enjoy making great websites - the world is so starved of good original creativity, it has no choice but to pay attention

as someone who was heavily involved in the '00s making websites, i had no idea this entire side of the web existed (again? or still? — either way) until i saw it on twitter in 2021, and then found spacehey through twitter. you could argue that folks might be out there who want to do this stuff, but have no idea how to start or that it even exists. there are people who think that the internet begins and ends at 5 websites because that's the way modern internet usage has gone. i think promotion by example is a great way to help capture people once they are here, but getting folks to see that this part of the internet still exists is the first step. if folks don't know something is out there, how do they know to seek it out? if the only SEO done is by squarespace to create a new website because we're anti-SEO (for example), then folks who are searching for "how to create a website" aren't ever going to see that they can express themselves fully by creating a website by scratch for free rather than by drag and drop templates for $30/month.

i'm a big proponent of meeting people where they are, because that's generally how content and media consumption goes. people do not go out of their way, especially if it's hard, to discover something brand new that they may not even be aware exists. if folks are on tumblr and don't know that this exists, then it makes sense to have information available on platforms like that.

also, for what it's worth, not a fan of calling this a "moment" as it makes it seem fleeting; this form of self-expression on the web is decades old at this point — it's definitely more than a moment! :) in the grand scheme though, doesn't really matter. xD
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023 @958.87 »

keep in mind i'm talking about this side of the web, not melonland in particular. i want more people to make personal sites and deplug from social media. i don't want to hang on to the side of the internet like a secret — i want more people to get involved and take back the internet from corporations having a stranglehold on it. keeping it "secret" is a great way for this entire "movement" to be snuffed out eventually by folks moving on/deplugging from the internet/growing up/etc.

I am also talking about the personal site web.
The more this would become mainstream, the more "premium hosters" would push things like Neocities off the market in favor of ads, hosting plans and stricter terms of service, the more strictly copyright infringement would be policed, the more negative and dangerous people would browse our sites and perhaps endanger vulnerable people (say goodbye to posting your emails publicly), the more scams would pop up, the more toxic behaviour people would automatically bring to the interaction here, and the more boring sites would clog up things until it's not fun at all anymore to browse our corner of the web.

I think the obscurity we have is building this entire subculture, and if we were popular, many would be forced to move on.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023 @46.19 »

These @xandra @/home/user/ are both excellent arguments and interestingly polar opposites! I honestly think I agree with both of you simultaneously, which is very confusing...

Firstly, I didn't mean "moment" in a diminishing way! I meant it in a more ethereal way; a movement is very heavy, and its tied to all sorts of facts and dogmas; but a moment floats, it can be gone in a second, but it can also last forever.

Maybe let's look at the facts if we can;

Firstly; am I right in assuming that most subcultures are destroyed if they get too popular? SpaceHey itself falls into this category? The Hippie movement got very silly when it got too big. Underground comic books turned into today's Marvel movies - that's kinda a shallow analysis, so please feel free to poke holes in it!

Secondly; let's look at the Yesterweb itself; it followed a policy of mass outreach, and it resulted in it growing exponentially - however it also became unmanageable and did a lot of damage to the mental health of its mods and created a space that became very negative. (I hope that's a fair assessment!)

Maybe a valid question is; assuming the web revival continues to grow at the rate it has been growing; how are we going to stop people from finding this side of the web??  :drat: Ok that's a joke, but it's also not; last month, after 5 years of my Guestbook being totally public; I had to switch it over to approval mode because it was getting nasty comments for the first time ever. Even Neocities itself does not feel safe in the way it did when I first joined; and honestly, this forum has kinda become a life raft for my online life.

All that said; I do agree with @xandra - hiding away behind our own walls like some sort of web revival version of Constantinople is not a particularly great plan. There are people out there who could make awesome sites if they knew about this place, and it's also important not to over-dramatise; hand-coding websites can never be totally mainstream because it's just too hard.

So what's the balance there? How much outreach is too much? If individuals want to promote the web revival, then they can and no one can stop them! I've done so much myself, to promote it; and I will continue to! However, I don't think it's an obligation for anyone, and I think people have the right to desire obscurity too.

I hope more people reply here though, I'd like to hear what people think about this topic, maybe Iv just gotten jaded  :grin:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023 @67.77 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2023 @56.19 »

Everyone is raising good points here! What mostly seems important to me is that for now it's best that people trickle in so they get the general vibe of what's going on before they decide if they wanna be a part of that or not. A culture can shift quickly if a large influx of people suddenly flows in: a large group crashes the party and the whole mood changes. I assume this is what happened with SpaceHey? Not to be all gatekeepy about it by the way, it just seems like a delicate balance to me so let me put it this way: everyone is welcome, but rather not at the same time!

Now, how to keep the rate of new arrivals under control is another question entirely...

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023 @73.75 »

Am I right in assuming that most subcultures are destroyed if they get too popular?

I'd say so, yeah.

Most subcultures blink into existence because their members are struggling to find somewhere to fit in in a world that fundamentally does not allow or encourage a part of their identity.

Punk is for people who refuse to conform to conservative and middle class social and political norms. Emo/scene is for people who felt like their depression and calls for help were not taken seriously. Hippies (as you mentioned) were trying to make free love and world peace a thing in a world that was still very tainted by strict militarist and oppressive social structures. And this web revival is a thing because people feel like social media and the corporate web limit their expression or are a danger to their mental health.

As soon as something becomes popular, that indicates that the mainstream is able to adapt the style and aesthetic as their own freely without repercussions: that people who are not outcasts but actually part of large swaths of society reduce the subculture to their aesthetics and looks. From counterculture now grows pop culture, which dilutes the original character and reduces it to surface level traits. Like what happened to punk, when suddenly large corporate music labels pushed "punk bands", or scene when suddenly Hot Topic was a major corporation, or hippies when it was reduced to drugs and flowers.

For example, what would the web revival feel if Facebook or Twitter started adapting blinkies and retro looking themes to appeal to this new popular trend? If suddenly companies start marketing to us? It would be a far cry from what we want.
lulu
Casual Poster ⚓︎

if it stops i'm havin' a bad dream

StatusCafe: lulu
iMood: WILDLIFE

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2023 @153.89 »

late to the discussion, I hope it's alright if I respond!

I do want "this side of the web" to be found by the people who want and need it. I want people to know that they can make sites, and I want them to find a community. Whatever makes them feel happy and connected. I don't know if the campaigns are strictly necessary ~  I found Neocities through google! I just kept rearranging keywords until I found what I was looking for. I didn't even know "this" existed, so it was kind of a blind-faith deal.. still, it's not like we're in some some ultra-underground community where you need a special key, just some curiosity and patience.

But wait - which community are we talking about again? How do you become part of the community? Who is included? Does it require forum membership? Is it a webring? Yesterweb? Having someone else link to your website? How do you define THIS site of the web?  Is it only personal sites? Neocities? Anything non-corporate? What about personal sites with ads? Do wordpress blogs count? Or does it have to be fully hand-crafted? What if you're using a template? Etc, etc.. I know I'm dropping more questions than answers here, and they're largely rhetorical.. but there's a theme in there somewhere.

I remember the heydey of personal sites. I wasn't around for the very first wave, but by the early 2000s it was pretty crowded. Pretty noisy.. Sort of how social media is today, if I'm being honest. There were some big-name personal sites that everybody hit up, and then a bunch of smaller sites that didn't have many visitors, it sort of felt like you were creating into the  void at times. I still did it, because it was fun to create, but it wasn't this utopia where everyone was free and connected. Not that anyone here is saying that it was! I just want to point out that the personal web could be a lonely place back when everyone was doing it. Heck, sometimes I feel that way now! I weirdly felt more connected before I ever joined a server, before yesterweb, etc. Granted, I come to the small web to hide out from the big web & am grateful my site isn't big enough to need to moderate my guestbook. I'm pretty shy and self-concious so getting hate comments would probably destroy something inside me.. not a trait I'm proud of, but it's there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm perfectly content with it staying small :O
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2023 @936.23 »

which community are we talking about again?
I think this is a really good question, but I also think it's one we can and must never answer! The idea of "the web revival community" comes from the idea of "The Yesterweb" community... but as that community starts to fragment, I find myself wondering if it ever really made sense. Maybe the mystery of not knowing is part of what ties it all together, like magic!

When we (lulu and I, we've been web pals for AGES!) got in contact way back in 2016; back then "the community" was more like an amorphous feeling... if you had a site, and it kinda fitted the vibe, then you knew you had something in common, but everyone was also very separate. Yet even tiny interactions back then felt profound and vast, I dunno why that was exactly! I suppose we all knew there was only a handful of us doing this stuff, so even a small site was like a landmark!

Today the landscape is very different and I don't think it's fair to newer people to dwell on the past too much; why would a bigger audience make the magic less magical, or the mystery less mysterious? I still want everyone to be a landmark.

The web revival is like a big freeform piece of theatre; you're part of it if you're brave enough to get up on stage and stand out; everyone is welcome to join! Just don't shine the lights too brightly, and don't steal the spotlight too long - no one knows the plot, but no one wants to know it, we just want to keep playing  :tongue:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Y2KStardust
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ooh, what does this button do??

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2023 @178.14 »

A person on my Tumblr dash was hyping up the whole creating your own website thing, and since I was both a website making kid in the past and very annoyed by a lack of customization and personality everywhere adult in the present, I resonated with that. Someone in the reblog chain linked Yesterweb, and from there it's a very short trip to finding Melonland.

So there are indeed people getting the word out, although amongst the more widely known websites I would guess you have the bigger chance of running into us on Tumblr than anywhere else.

This is about how I found the webring, and I found Melonland when YW shut down! So, I think it is a thing of making ourselves known on social media to an extent; I'm sure a lot of us already use modern-web social media (I'll die before I give up Tumblr, personally) and it's nice to come across posts about topics like making your own website ^.^

doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2023 @194.55 »

But wait - which community are we talking about again? How do you become part of the community? Who is included? Does it require forum membership? Is it a webring? Yesterweb? Having someone else link to your website? How do you define THIS site of the web?  Is it only personal sites? Neocities? Anything non-corporate? What about personal sites with ads? Do wordpress blogs count? Or does it have to be fully hand-crafted? What if you're using a template? Etc, etc.. I know I'm dropping more questions than answers here, and they're largely rhetorical.. but there's a theme in there somewhere.

The web revival is like a big freeform piece of theatre; you're part of it if you're brave enough to get up on stage and stand out; everyone is welcome to join! Just don't shine the lights too brightly, and don't steal the spotlight too long - no one knows the plot, but no one wants to know it, we just want to keep playing  :tongue:

i pretty much never refer to the web revival as a community when i talk about it and this is why— "community" makes it sound like there are certain requirements you must meet to be considered a "member", and in the case of the web revival there's no neat way to define what those requirements might be. and that's part of the appeal! :ok: i don't want to feel like everyone participating in this thing thinks the same way, uses the same tools, or has the exact same interests, because the pressure to fit in with everyone else is exactly why social media is boring and ugly :grin: i much prefer the word "movement", if i have to describe what the web revival is.

The_Phets

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2023 @802.38 »

I'm really new this is like my first post, but I came here because I was so fascinated by all this old stuff from when I was growing up on the web.

Now I found this place by google searching the words 'Oekaki board' somebody had made a post here about having one in this day and age and I wanted to try and show my GF what they were and what they're like. I don't have a page yet but I'm interested in learning and picking up HTML again and making my own page. The last time I touched the stuff was like 2007 lol and it was a preset page someone had made that I made some mods to.

I think I might be the anomaly here and finding this place by chance and not word of mouth as that what alot of y'all are saying or you found neocities. 
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5166
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
Hypnospace Outlaw

Started by GuestBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 31
Views: 4151
Last post February 06, 2024 @698.00
by foxmosis
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 12875
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi