Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @182.49 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ➶ ∙ Art Gallery
| | |-+  ⚽︎ ∙ Arcade
| | | |-+  Tny: a tiny virtual console

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tny: a tiny virtual console  (Read 798 times)
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: April 07, 2023 @207.75 »

Hi everyone!

Lately I've been having fun writing virtual game consoles. I find it fascinating to write their instruction set, define how they should execute machine code, and everything else. My goal was to design a machine that is simple enough to let even beginners write simple games in assembly code directly. So here's tny: tny.m15o.net.

I've added a few games such as:

Hope you enjoy :)

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023 @513.10 »

This reminds me of being back in my assembly course  :tongue: 

I got a pretty high score on snake! The programming side is cool, although maybe more for a computer science person. I could see this being really popular for schools or people teaching computing foundations  :grin:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023 @587.22 »

Oh, I love fantasy consoles! This is really impressive, and I really like the amount of documentation you've given for it. I'm not super great with assembly code, so I'm not sure if I could code anything for this, but I'm definitely adding it to my list of cool development tools.

lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023 @626.66 »

this actually looks pretty cool!

Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023 @663.19 »

this is cool as heck! i love the amount of documentation and software you’ve provided. i’ll definitely have to look into this further.

it’s very similar to a fantasy console that i made several years ago called “diode”. it had an 8x8 instead of a 16x16 screen so that i could use off-the-shelf 8x8 LED matrices for it, but it was similar in other ways - it also had 256 bytes of RAM and a controller with a d-pad and 2 action buttons. however, it was a harvard architecture machine where the RAM and ROM (also 256 bytes) were in two separate address spaces.

i even created a real handheld console for it that ran on an arduino nano with interchangeable game cartridges that contained I2C EEPROM chips, but sadly that project seems to have been lost to time. annoyingly, i can’t even find any photos of it. maybe someday i’ll also try to make a real, physical console for tny as well!

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023 @394.93 »

This reminds me of being back in my assembly course  :tongue:

I got a pretty high score on snake! The programming side is cool, although maybe more for a computer science person. I could see this being really popular for schools or people teaching computing foundations  :grin:

Haha thanks a lot Melon! It motivates me to write even more documentation so that perhaps it helps people who want to get started with assembly. Congrats on the snake one! Yesterday, as I was in the train, I tried to put together what should eventually resemble a tetris-like game.

Oh, I love fantasy consoles! This is really impressive, and I really like the amount of documentation you've given for it. I'm not super great with assembly code, so I'm not sure if I could code anything for this, but I'm definitely adding it to my list of cool development tools.

Thank you!

this actually looks pretty cool!

Appreciate it! :)

this is cool as heck! i love the amount of documentation and software you’ve provided. i’ll definitely have to look into this further.

it’s very similar to a fantasy console that i made several years ago called “diode”. it had an 8x8 instead of a 16x16 screen so that i could use off-the-shelf 8x8 LED matrices for it, but it was similar in other ways - it also had 256 bytes of RAM and a controller with a d-pad and 2 action buttons. however, it was a harvard architecture machine where the RAM and ROM (also 256 bytes) were in two separate address spaces.

i even created a real handheld console for it that ran on an arduino nano with interchangeable game cartridges that contained I2C EEPROM chips, but sadly that project seems to have been lost to time. annoyingly, i can’t even find any photos of it. maybe someday i’ll also try to make a real, physical console for tny as well!

Wow! I love that you also had create a little machine as well. I would also love at some point to build it into a handheld console, potentially with arduino as well! Thanks for mentioning harvard architecture, I didn't know about it but will look into it. :)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Virtual worlds: where the heck do I start?

Started by MemoryBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 5
Views: 2264
Last post June 08, 2023 @27.16
by Melooon
TinyTIM - A cool multiplayer text adventure

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 4
Views: 2275
Last post February 22, 2022 @48.80
by demonologi
Tiny things, a topic for tiny things

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 18
Views: 3948
Last post August 23, 2023 @886.10
by Memory

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi