Art & Games > ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Favourite weird programs to draw in?

(1/4) > >>

Moodle McDoodle:
I was just talking with a friend over discord about art programs we use or used to use, and while we were talking about more serious, art dedicated programs, my mind couldn't help but drift to my favourite weird way to draw digitally... The memo function in Professor Layton games!! :ha: An odd choice, I know, but something about the pixelly brushes and colour palette, along with being able to draw with the DS/3DS stylus is just really fun and appealing to me :dive:

I have some art I did this way from a playthrough of Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright that I did in 2021, mostly featuring Ghost Trick characters since I'd just recently played that game at the time as well and was hyperfixating on it, and I still really like all of them! I can't show most since there's a lot of spoilers for both PLvsPW and Ghost Trick involved but here's a few :)

I'd love to hear what other games or programs that people use to make digital art that isn't necessarily a serious art program!! I think making art within games or less serious programs like this is a really nice way to take pressure off of oneself and just make something for fun and it'd be great to hear about similar experiences or even maybe inspire someone to try making something in a more obscure medium! :unite:

Stonehead:
Wow, those are amazing. Flipnote studios, and the 3ds in general, had such a distinct look. Very nostalgic.

I never used anything that interesting, but when I was a kid, I used the built-in sprite editor in Game Maker Studio to make all of my pixel art.

I don't have any of the really old childhood stuff anymore, but I think these were done pixel-by-pixel with a mouse:

I made like 30 or 40 of those portraits for a bunch of different characters. I wonder what happened to the hard-working attitude I had back then.

probablyawizard:
i was going to say tux paint is the weirdest i've used, before remembering i sometimes drew in the sand in tomodachi life's judgement bay. i think everyone can agree that DSes are fun to draw with :3

HunnyBon:
For a drawing app aimed at children, Tux Paint is actually pretty easy to make some really good stuff. I don't mean to talk down to children or the like, it's just you usually see very botched programs that barely have many tools to make something good or creative, yet here I am, showing a small work I made in Tux Paint.

Nullcasting:
that is so cute!! Is there a term for emergent gameplay that isn't gameplay? ...emergent functionality? No clue, but it's lovely to see the way tools developers made get used.

My favorite Wacky Drawing Program is Kid Pix Deluxe, my childhood computer art program. Aaah, the sound effects in that game are so nice to listen to...

I don't do a lot of 2d art these days, though. My favorite weird 3D program is Bryce7. It's downright goofy.  :ozwomp:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version