Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @491.05 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 21/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Canon name VS. Customized name

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Canon name VS. Customized name  (Read 555 times)
« on: April 22, 2023 @873.25 »

Hello everyone! I've been wondering this for a while and even asked my friends this question, so I thought I'd offer the question here too! When it comes to any kind of game, though I suppose more specifically RPGS, are you more inclined to use the canon name for the main character or give the main character a customized name, and why?

Personally, I always prefer to play with the characters canon name when applicable, because I enjoy getting lost in the characters story rather than feeling like I'm part of the story myself, if that makes sense? It's not as important to me to feel personally included as it is to connect with a world and story!

Curious to hear other peoples takes on this! Thank you for reading <3

:dive:  :dive:  :dive:  :dive:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023 @875.29 by awhe » Logged
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023 @881.40 »

Oh are we talking RPGs?  :eyes:  Hello there

I'm big on character creation, so if there's an option to customize their appearance and rename them - I'm definitely doing that, all my characters have original names :D

The only exceptions are Garret Hawke from Dragon Age 2, since I loved his default appearance more than what custom options could do, and therefore left the name as well, and Valerie from Cyberpunk 2077 'cause she states that name out loud in the game and I was like "Yeah, sure". That doesn't stop many other players from giving theis Vs other names starting with the letter, but I'm kinda fine with my V being Val.

The rest of them though. All custom named. If you're not looking default, you shall not be named default either.

That being said, if we're talking other kinds of games where technically you can't change the character's canon name, then I'm not headcanoning that change either (I suppose Cbp2077 kinda falls under this category too actually).

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023 @894.07 »

I'm big on character creation, so if there's an option to customize their appearance and rename them - I'm definitely doing that, all my characters have original names :D

That makes a lot of sense! I think in terms of character customization, it really depends on how in depth it goes for me. Such as with Fire Emblem: Fates, there is minimal character customization there that I'll utilise but I'll still call the main character by their canon name: Corrin. However, in games with more extensive customization I might be more inclined to change the canon name to a custom one just purely because the character feels less like themselves. Though even then I don't default to a sort of... "Self insert" name, but rather prefer to create a whole new name for them each time.

Do you prefer using a self insert name or something else when inputting a custom name? Do you have one that you regularly use?
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023 @907.96 »

Do you prefer using a self insert name or something else when inputting a custom name? Do you have one that you regularly use?

Well when the customization is deep enough to warrant a change of name, I definitely go for fully original names (either out of my head or after consulting fantasynamegenerators 'cause my imagination sucks as far as names go), to each character their unique own.

I almost never play characters as self-inserts anyway (of course my preferences for certain tropes shape them in similar ways at times, but still), so that plays a big role in it, I think.

Although I have to admit, there's been a time a considerable amount of years ago when I had one favorite OC so I was putting her in all the situations only to realize that plots of those situations required their own characters - and that's how I ended up with a bunch characters all named various derivatives of the name "Alex".

You may "gotcha" me here 'cause I sometimes mention that Alex is actually the name I myself sometimes go by, but that would be the opposite of self-insert, actually; I took on a name of my favorite character for Internet purposes and then it stuck x) More like 'other-insert', amiright.

Anyway, that's a time long gone. These days I make them all different x)

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023 @909.91 »

I generally prefer as much character customisation as possible. Also for certain game series, I have my own internal cannon that goes back YEARS! For example on Pokemon games, if Im playing as a male I always use "Neo" (It seemed like a SUPER cool name in 2001  :happy: ) or if I'm a female character I play as "Lucy" (I dunno, it seemed like a default girl name when I was about 8).

Both of those characters have their own histories, likes, dislikes - ways of doing things that have evolved with them as I played various pokemon games over many years - so for example Neo is kinda a jerk and he will always pick the meanest option possible, whereas Lucy is.. also actually kinda a jerk  :tongue: Lucy tends to pick fire type pokemon, whereas Neo is more into ghost and other weird types - also Neo tends to avoid wild encounters at all costs (he's lazy); whereas Lucy is more of a fight, everyone, no matter who they are type. Neo is usually more of a spoiled rich kid whereas Lucy is more of a runway; they both tend to be brash but usually do the right thing in the end  :grin:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

:D

StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023 @932.33 »

Honestly depends on the game. If there's a character creator I almost always go for a custom name, but if I'm just stuck as Some Guy™ then I stick with the name the game gives them. Enzo is always Enzo to me but The Hero of Kvatch? Tired, over used, ancient. My guy's getting renamed to Stabby McStabby The Stabby Assassin as soon as that character creation screen pops up.

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
Moodle McDoodle
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Just a sleepy lil' guy.. v__v { z z z )

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023 @934.66 »

If there's extensive character customisation i absolutely always change their name!! Whether I'm naming them after myself or giving them thier own name really depends on my mood and the limits of the customisation (being nonbinary i'm less inclined to naming a character after myself if the options are all super gendered for example)

However for characters with little to no customisation and a canon name I'll stick to the canon one! You can change Link's name in some LoZ games, but why would you? That's Link!!! I think the exception is Undertale, since naming the fallen human after yourself is part of the whole point... the "true name" is more of an easter egg anyway!:ha:

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023 @935.54 »

Well when the customization is deep enough to warrant a change of name, I definitely go for fully original names (either out of my head or after consulting fantasynamegenerators 'cause my imagination sucks as far as names go), to each character their unique own.

That's pretty much what I do too! I think it's much more fun to experience a story through the lens of a character rather than myself, even if there's no real canon name. And hey, Alex is a good name! Lots of fun variations you can make of it! Thank you for elaborating on your reasons why <3

Both of those characters have their own histories, likes, dislikes - ways of doing things that have evolved with them as I played various pokemon games over many years

Honestly, I think that's so cool and such an interesting take on the topic! I've never thought about doing something like that before in general, but I do have a tradition of calling my Monster Hunter character "farts" LOL. Every single one. There's no backstory to her, I just enjoy continuing the tradition! I think Neo and Lucy sound like a great team together, and it's interesting getting to hear a glimpse of their personalities! Thank you for sharing <3
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023 @939.81 »

I've just remembered a funny story. My friend, who loves to play detective point-and-click games, once told me she had this one singular detective character who she kind of inserted into all those games imagining that it's just another case of hers. Somewhat like Melon does with Pokemon, I think.

I don't remember what name she gave to that character. Let's say for the sake of the story that it's Katie.

The fun thing was when one of those games, many games down the line, actually happened to have a canonically named protagonist, of which my friend was unaware of. The catch? The canonical name of that protag was Katie.

My poor friend had a whole 'brain makes Windows shutdown noise' moment when this random game SUDDENLY was calling her secret omnipresent original character whom she never mentioned to anyone BY THE NAME  :grin:

lonelyjuly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

space, man

StatusCafe: lonelyjuly
iMood: lonelyjuly

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023 @947.08 »

If we're talking any RPG game, when I play Pokemon, I typically use the canon name for the Pokemon I caught. Nowadays when I do nuzlockes I do stupid names like "Chicken Fist" for Blaziken or something like that.  :ok:

>"He who enters the arena is infinitely more honorable than he who watches from the stands"

Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023 @393.18 »

I love giving Pokemon silly names, so I assume I'm more of a customized name person, but the only time I left the canon names was in Earthbound. I've been wanting to play that game since I knew about Ness in Smash Bros (no release in Europe for years! AuughH!!  :ohdear: ), and I think it was fitting to keep his "real" name, because this was his game, his story after all. I do appreciate how many things you can customize from the start in the two latter Mother games, so maybe one day I'll start a playthrough giving them custom names

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023 @439.94 »

My poor friend had a whole 'brain makes Windows shutdown noise' moment when this random game SUDDENLY was calling her secret omnipresent original character whom she never mentioned to anyone BY THE NAME 

If that happened to me I think I'd get a little scared to be honest! What a silly story looking back on it though, LOL! I can only imagine the split second reaction of: wtf is going on... Haha! The idea of keeping one sole detective in charge of every mystery game is a good one though! I only fear I'll never be able to let of of Phoenix Wright...

Nowadays when I do nuzlockes I do stupid names like "Chicken Fist" for Blaziken or something like that. 
I love giving Pokemon silly names

I relate to you both above, in that when I'm having to name something like Pokemon (or sims babies) I tend to go with the first thing in mind, such as: screwdriver, lost sock, pocket penny. I tend to give special (albeit silly) names to those I consider less important than the main character.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Pet Names

Started by GuestBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 20
Views: 1191
Last post April 11, 2024 @915.93
by Misanthropic Monster™
The risk of domain names!

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 6
Views: 808
Last post April 03, 2023 @464.29
by lostletters
Domain Names and all good things...

Started by brisrayBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 5
Views: 416
Last post August 12, 2023 @763.63
by brisray

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi