Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @764.03 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 39/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Happy Earth Day!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Happy Earth Day!  (Read 396 times)
levya
Full Member ⚓︎

just a little creature (she/her)

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Joined 2023!
« on: April 22, 2023 @610.16 »

Did you know that Earth Day was started in 1970 to raise awareness of environmental policies? As a nature nerd, I want to find more ways to celebrate Earth Day so I wanna know what you all do to celebrate (if you do celebrate)!

I've done a couple litter cleanups with my neighbors in the past, but I didn't really plan anything this year. I might spend an hour or two turning off all my electronics and reading, since I have a couple solarpunk anthologies I've been meaning to read.
(I would go for a hike but I started a new job yesterday so I'm feeling tired today haha)

kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

:D

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023 @625.61 »

Happy Earth Day! I don't have any traditions necessarily, but late april in general is when I start doing work outside trying to get my garden ready. I plan on trying to find some native flowers to grow this year since I heard they're better for bees and other pollinators in addition to my usual tomatoes and moss roses. :happy:

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023 @655.52 »

Happy earth day  :unite:

It didn't just start in 1970! It poped-off in 1970, the first earth day was the biggest mass protest in human history (and still is) with over 20 million people taking to the streets in the US  :omg: Even the president at the time (Richard Nixon) got his boots on and planted a tree in the Whitehouse garden  :tongue: It was a very big deal!

Im pretty disappointed at the events around me; from what I can see there are no major things going on in the city I'm in - but I decided not to use the heating at all today and wear a blanket  :ohdear: My first thought was to close the forum today; but that would probably annoy people, and it would not actually be very environmental since the server this runs on is shared and would stay on anyway  :drat:

That raises some questions about the web revival and eco-friendliness - we rely on big data centres that are huge polluters. Even using old technology is not exactly energy efficient (although keeping old tech in use and out of e-waste dumps is great!). I wonder if there's more we could do though; things like encouraging hosting services that put effort into reducing emissions - as far as I know, Neocities has no environmental info - we have no idea what its impact is  :omg:

It's definitely a LOT better than things like blockchain services, but we do promote tech and tech is often a big polluter. My small pledge will be to provide environmental info in tutorials and hosting recommendations whenever possible; and also to consider where my sites are hosted!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
gridbug
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023 @705.80 »

Happy earth day! :unite:

Happy earth day  :unite:

It didn't just start in 1970! It poped-off in 1970, the first earth day was the biggest mass protest in human history (and still is) with over 20 million people taking to the streets in the US  :omg: Even the president at the time (Richard Nixon) got his boots on and planted a tree in the Whitehouse garden  :tongue: It was a very big deal!

Im pretty disappointed at the events around me; from what I can see there are no major things going on in the city I'm in - but I decided not to use the heating at all today and wear a blanket  :ohdear: My first thought was to close the forum today; but that would probably annoy people, and it would not actually be very environmental since the server this runs on is shared and would stay on anyway  :drat:

That raises some questions about the web revival and eco-friendliness - we rely on big data centres that are huge polluters. Even using old technology is not exactly energy efficient (although keeping old tech in use and out of e-waste dumps is great!). I wonder if there's more we could do though; things like encouraging hosting services that put effort into reducing emissions - as far as I know, Neocities has no environmental info - we have no idea what its impact is  :omg:

It's definitely a LOT better than things like blockchain services, but we do promote tech and tech is often a big polluter. My small pledge will be to provide environmental info in tutorials and hosting recommendations whenever possible; and also to consider where my sites are hosted!

This is an interesting topic for me, I took environmental and it's a very interesting area to think about. One of the big challenges is just how to decrease carbon emissions when so much of what individuals can do when so much power is wasted by companies, just lights being on in buildings, or for that matter inefficient power grids. Even so there's a lot that individuals can do that has an impact.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Earthbound Text Generator

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 7
Views: 3843
Last post March 04, 2023 @848.91
by sig
happy new year!

Started by xandraBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 8
Views: 2133
Last post January 02, 2022 @357.40
by m15o
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canadians!!!

Started by SilkSkullBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 2
Views: 656
Last post October 11, 2022 @968.37
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi