Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 16, 2024 - @819.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 38/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  cool stuff to do with a classic mac?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: cool stuff to do with a classic mac?  (Read 520 times)
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« on: April 21, 2023 @686.20 »

i just attended VCF (vintage computer festival) last weekend, and while i was there, i picked up a beautiful 'quicksilver' Power Mac G4! i've been wanting to get into the classic 90s and early 2000s mac scene for a long time because it always seemed to have such a fun, whimsical vibe in comparison to the windows side of things at that time.

however, as this is my first time using a mac of this vintage, i'm not sure where to start! so, for anyone on this forum who was a mac user in the 90s and/or early 2000s, are there any cool, must-have programs, toys, games, system utilities, etc. that you would recommend to someone new to the scene? i'm especially interested in weird art/design/creative software. i'm planning on dual-booting both Mac OS 9 and OSX 10.4 on this computer, so i'm open to suggestions for either OS.

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023 @751.33 »

You can get an SDK for MacOS9 to develop for the Panasonic M2, a games console that never released. :ok:

There are also ways you can play Bandai Pippin games on classic Mac, I got Racing Days working. It's not great, but it is what it is.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
gridbug
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023 @855.32 »

What a great get! Congrats! Unfortunately I do not have a lot to contribute in this area, since I was a baby in the 2000s, but those machines are beautiful, they have such a a great look to them, and the ads for the Power Mac G4 were great too, the weapon spot was so goofy, I used to watch those ads on youtube just to enjoy looking at the machines.

Unfortunately software-wise I don't have any recommendations, as I know literally nothing about the scene or how you might go about obtaining and installing software, I'm sure at this point there are tutorials and explanations on how to run downloaded software on a power mac.

How was VCF? Did you see anything really cool computer-wise?
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023 @680.06 »

If you're on the fediverse, there's an enthusiast who's been working on Macstodon: a Mastodon client for classic Mac OS!

I'd also check out Hypercard, which you can still find user-created programs for around the web. I used to play all the classic Infocom text adventures, along with the original Prince of Persia and the King's Quest games. There are a ton of really fun Mac-only games over at Macintosh Garden but they also have regular software too. There was a pretty active shareware scene for Macs back in the day, and you can find some of those games by typing "Shareware" into the search bar there, and also at the Internet Archive.

If you find anything super fun, you ought to post it somewhere; I'd love to see it!

Y2KStardust
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ooh, what does this button do??

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023 @211.59 »

It's a silly request, but try and get kidpix running on it?  :eyes: I vividly remember kidpix on the old macs, it was so fun!

Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023 @878.63 »

How was VCF? Did you see anything really cool computer-wise?
it was cool as heck! i think it's my top favorite convention at this point. i managed to take a few pictures of some of the cool stuff i saw and compiled them into a blog post here.

I'd also check out Hypercard, which you can still find user-created programs for around the web. I used to play all the classic Infocom text adventures, along with the original Prince of Persia and the King's Quest games. There are a ton of really fun Mac-only games over at Macintosh Garden but they also have regular software too. There was a pretty active shareware scene for Macs back in the day, and you can find some of those games by typing "Shareware" into the search bar there, and also at the Internet Archive.

If you find anything super fun, you ought to post it somewhere; I'd love to see it!
thanks for the suggestions! hypercard is definitely something that i need to explore - it's a whole other world of software all its own. i searched around macintosh garden a bit and found the very first version of Bryce, a 3D modeling software i've used a lot for artwork. it'll be interesting exploring how much has changed from version 1 to the most recent version 7.

It's a silly request, but try and get kidpix running on it?  :eyes: I vividly remember kidpix on the old macs, it was so fun!
i did actually! i recently found my CD of kid pix 4 deluxe while cleaning out a closet, so i got it installed on this mac. it's just as fun to mess around with as i remembered!

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

TinyTIM - A cool multiplayer text adventure

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 4
Views: 1838
Last post February 22, 2022 @48.80
by demonologi
poetry thread: stuff you write, stuff you like

Started by DarmodejBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 11
Views: 1998
Last post March 06, 2024 @707.91
by grubbyfox
Zepeto is cool!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1211
Last post March 29, 2022 @904.43
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi