Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @374.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Looking for Tools to Build My Personal Web Map – Any Ideas?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for Tools to Build My Personal Web Map – Any Ideas?  (Read 279 times)
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: March 30, 2024 @670.16 »

Hi All!

I've been thinking a lot about how we navigate the internet. For me, using search engines and hopping from link to link feels overwhelming, kind of like having access to every song ever made on Spotify. It’s too much all at once. I prefer the idea of a curated collection, similar to how I have a few favorite albums that I love to listen to on repeat.

This is why I'm exploring a way to create a personal map of the internet. Not just a collection of bookmarks, which I’ve tried and found lacking. I’m after something that gives me an intuitive, exploratory feeling, like navigating a map or a structured file system.

I would love for navigating the web to be like exploring a real world, where you can wander, discover, and keep track of your journeys in a way that makes sense to you. I want to start with a few "favorite places" and expand from there, seeing the connections between different sites and topics in a way that feels natural.

I know this might sound like I'm just asking for a better bookmark system, but what I’m envisioning is more dynamic and visual, something closer to an org chart or a site map but for personal web use. Has anyone tried to create something like this, or does anyone know of tools that could help?

I’d really appreciate your thoughts and any pointers you might have!

Thank you for reading!  :cool:
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024 @702.59 »

ironically i was working on this just the other day. i'd be happy to (help you) code something similar if you like text-based exploration?

the premise (in case that link ever dies!) is that you're a character ($) in a field of other ASCII characters on a webpage, some of which represent other websites. you can navigate by a few HTML buttons and then check to see if the character you're currently on is a link to a website (and then go to it!).

it's sort of inspired by a dark room.

either way, good luck with however you decide to go about this!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024 @548.89 by j » Logged

i go by j, she/they :)
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024 @728.07 »

This is bugging me because I can't remember its name, but I saw a site like this not too long ago where you could make and connect bubbles to one another, and it had a wacky physics engine as well. Maybe if I have time (doubtful, sadly) I'll see if I can find it?

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024 @919.76 »

ironically i was working on this just the other day. i'd be happy to (help you) code something similar if you like text-based exploration?

the premise (in case that link ever dies!) is that you're a character ($) in a field of other ASCII characters on a webpage, some of which represent other websites. you can navigate by a few HTML buttons and then check to see if the character you're currently on is a link to a website (and then go to it!).

it's sort of inspired by a dark room.

either way, good luck with however you decide to go about this!

Ok this is such a cool premise!

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024 @952.81 »

Ok this is such a cool premise!

i'm glad you like it! i was planning on refactoring my code to be importable for other folks but i'm in a bit of a lazy mood at the moment when it comes to coding. not to mention that javascript is super weird when it comes to calling functions belonging to classes D:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024 @955.37 by j » Logged

i go by j, she/they :)
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024 @599.20 »

This is bugging me because I can't remember its name, but I saw a site like this not too long ago where you could make and connect bubbles to one another, and it had a wacky physics engine as well. Maybe if I have time (doubtful, sadly) I'll see if I can find it?

I would love to find this! One option would be using Obsidian which allows you to map things; but I find it a bit overwhelming.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 0
Views: 5467
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 2
Views: 3368
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe
Fortunately / Unfortunately

Started by xandraBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 38
Views: 5826
Last post April 09, 2024 @776.25
by Kallistero

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi