World Wild Web > ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Share ur site manifesto!

(1/6) > >>

Melooon:
:dog: Site Manifestos! :dog:

Also known as - Site philosophies, "Why I make my site" pages, "what I like about the web" pages, or just about pages; site manifestos are one of the more unique web revival ideas!

A site manifesto is a page that explains why you made your site! For some people that means listing all the evils of social media, for others it simply means saying they enjoy collecting blinkies, for me it was a chance to share some random philosophies  :grin:

A site manifesto can be long or short, it can be images, or words. It can be a poem, or a list or a story. It's simply a way of expressing why you made your site and what you love about web crafting (many people, actually do this on their about page, and that's a totally valid form of manifesto)

They are a great way of inspiring others and encouraging people to get into web crafting! I hope you’ll share your manifesto here; and if you haven't made one yet, give it a try, it can be a great way to find meaning in your site and your web experience! :4u:

If you don't have one and you're unsure where to start maybe ask yourself some of these questions:

* Why did I make my site?
* What does the web mean to me?
* What excites me about web revival-style sites and/or web crafting?
* What's my hope for the future of technology?
* If I lived in the perfect digital world what would it look like?
* What scares me about the web and technology?
* What's the ideal web crafting playlist?
* How does participating in the web revival scene (MelonLand, iMood, Status Cafe, Neocities etc) affect your life?
* If your site was a nice soup, what would be its ingredients??
* If your great-grandkids find your site in 100 years, what do you wanna show them about this moment in time?
* What is the World Wide Web?

Anonicus:
I don't have a Manifesto mainly due to that word feeling bad and radicalized. But instead I guess you can say I have my Opinions.

1. I believe in the Freedom of Expression, Agree or Disagree. That means Freedom to Disagree with those I see.
2. I believe that if there's a service that I don't like using, That I will use an alternative that is hopefully better. If not, I do it myself.
3. However you use the Internet should not be forced upon how Others use the Internet.
4. But also, I am strongly against the Internet being accessible all this time. And yet, Look at how the place turned out to be.

That's all I really have in the end. I also think that plenty of Manifestos out there likes to throw out buzzwords while not making sense as to why the word was placed there to begin with. *Cough*Decentralization*Cough*

Anyways, That's what I gotta say.

Melooon:

--- Quote from: Anonicus on June 15, 2023 @145.81 --- don't have a Manifesto mainly due to that word feeling bad and radicalized. But instead I guess you can say I have my Opinions.
--- End quote ---
I was wondering if that's why people were shying away from this topic  :drat:

I don't know the root of your feeling; I do understand it though, but I will say that you have a right to own your own mind; you don't just have to have opinions, you can have beliefs that you hold true today even when you know they will change tomorrow.

Of course, we can use any word that suits, however, I don't believe in letting other people define the world around me; I chose the word manifesto because of its history and meaning within web communities that go's back all the way to the start of the internet and the start of the web, even if I don't always agree with that history or how people later use/abuse it - I don't think its right to let words have the power to scare us. Things can be radical without being sinister, and I think you have to break limits to make art. So thats why Iv stuck with the word so far  :tongue:

Gans:
My ideas are quite different from the most website makers here. I admire lots of your artful interfaces and graphics. But I know my own priorities and skills for my very own web project.

Technical goal: Make sites load veeeery fast.
Reason? My Windows 98 machine is old and underpowered. I can only be a happy internet user, when sites are optimised for efficency. To be honest the modern mobile devices would profit from efficency too. Even if the network speeds have improved, sites on mobile often load poorly from what I can see here.
How to achieve efficency: Be stupid and put some solid roadblocks in your way. Use only HTML4, an already well developed, simple standard. No CSS, no Javascript. Has to look good in a text browser. As a result, the website looks good in any browser on Windows 98.

Pictures are allowed, highly encouraged, as they improve the understandability of the contents. However those images have to be optimised for file size. Colours have to be reduced to a necessary minimum.

Content goal: Archiving and sharing information and data (mainly for myself). Looking seriously nerdy professional. Everyone can make a Word document. But having a website makes you the real web boss!
No blinking GIFs. They disrupt the calmness and steer away from the information.

Melooon:
@Gans one of the really fascinating things about your design philosophy has gotta be how you've linked your site on this forum: "Web page of the angry goose (but you have to decipher the link first)" http://g[]a{)n(sa()n)g(}r()i[)f+f{).}d-e

I don't think Iv seen anyone else do this game/speed break on linking before - you've encrypted your own destination! I'd love to hear more about how you came up with that idea  :omg:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version