World Wild Web > ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Let's talk about making Shrines!

(1/4) > >>

fatgrrlz:
Not to be confused with the thread on our favorite shrines :) share your favorites there!

I wanted to make a thread specifically about making shrines! There's a few things I've been wanting to make shrines about, and I created this thread to see what other people think about when it comes to creating your own shrines.

Some questions I've included to start the thread off:

* What inspires/inspired you to create a shrine?
* How do/did you make your shrines - are they simply pages talking about the topic of interest, or do they have their own entire section with specific pages, stylesheets, et. al.?
* What do you think are some must-have aspects a shrine should have?

keylanbelle:
Yoo i am new to making websites and only in process of making mine so i don't really have any shrine yet... Buuuuutttt... I want to make a penguin shrine!! Yes yes  :transport:

What inspires/inspired you to create a shrine? - People who make their own shrines!! I didn't know anything about web shrines b4 i entered oldweb space! I thought that shrines are made only for religious purposes, but here we are, we can make digital shrines about smth that we love, so cool! So i decided that i want to make one too, a penguin shrine.

How do/did you make your shrines? - I am still not sure how do i want my shrine to look like, but i think that i will include pics, some info about real pengus and ofc i will show off my fav penguin characters! And i want to make the page look cold but cute  :loved:

What do you think are some must-have aspects a shrine should have? - Hmmm, pictures! Pics are the main thing! And some text about the topic. the rest is optional!

YoungsterJ4y:
I have a few shrines on my site, all with different purposes and layouts and all that jazz.

Typically, if an interest of mine persists for a while and I have Things to Say about it (or generally just am rotating it in my mind more than usual) I make a page for it! I also use codejams as an excuse to make shrines for things I like >:)

Some of my shrines have their own stylesheets entirely with layouts unlike anything else on my site. My My Chemical Romance shrine is more collage-style, for example. Most of them have the standard stylesheet but with altered colors/backgrounds fonts. In some of them, I just write a lot about what I like about a thing. With the MCR one I just did a collection of photos and albums and such. My Dance Dance Revolution "shrine" is more of just a log on my progress in the game, same with my Project Sekai and Toontown ones.

Nothing's required for a shrine IMO! Typically I find they have some level of unique styling, like a unique background or color palette, but obviously that's not required!! I think the most important part is just making a page that expresses your love or interest for a particular thing in a way only really possible on a website :) :4u:

Nickolox:
oooh a thread about making shrines, awesome!!  :omg:
Shrine making is my absolute favourite part of working on my site currently  :4u:
I've written 3 so far, and a 4th one is on the way too, it's really big so it might be a while before it's done lollll

--- Quote ---What inspires/inspired you to create a shrine?
--- End quote ---
I love sharing my interests with the world, and I think shrines are a perfect format to do that in, definitely saves my friends from hearing my endless ramblings lmfao
I think it's also a really good way of collecting my thoughts about things, since I tend to be really scatterbrained lol
It's fun to sit down and crank out a 500-1000 word ramble fest about all the things I enjoy about a particular special interest hahaha

--- Quote ---How do/did you make your shrines - are they simply pages talking about the topic of interest, or do they have their own entire section with specific pages, stylesheets, et. al.?
--- End quote ---
Mine are one page big block essays at the moment, separated with headings and sections and the like, though I've thought about splitting them off further, it might be a good idea for organization to do that, especially with how big some of them can get
I like to divide it all into sections, so, a section talking about how I got into that interest, another for talking about what makes me enjoy it, etc.

--- Quote ---What do you think are some must-have aspects a shrine should have?
--- End quote ---
Including pictures is a must if you've got a collection, I've done that on a few of them, the whole world must see my waluigi collection!!!!

Another thing I include in most of my shrines, a collection of old videos! A lot of my shrines are about things I'm super nostalgic over and nothing makes me more nostalgic than pouring over old 2008 Youtube videos I used to watch as a kid, I think it's really cool that these things are still up today, and I love sharing them in the hopes that maybe people will remember them too or get a hint of nostalgia for the old days of the web...
A lot of them are also just, really funny by today's standards, so it always gives me a good chuckle when I find a hidden gem of an oldie that's just, PURE with 2008 energy (emo/rock music + notepad + bandicam + windows movie maker, etc)

owlhari:
oooh, shrines!! we have quite a few shrines on our site, at varying levels of "completion." they were all created because we have more to say about the topic than a simple "we enjoy this thing!" like we have on our interest or bookshelf pages.

they all have the same stylesheet, with some having tweaked colors to fit the theme of whatever the shrine is about. as much as we admire folks who make custom layouts for every shrine, we like the cohesive-ness of our site too much to change anything too drastically.

they are different from page to page, though! our hades shrine tracks our completion of the game, because the sheer amount of stuff to do is one of the main reasons we like it. our "favorite characters" shrine is a list with little icons of every silly blorbo we adore.

our steam powered giraffe shrine is the most robust, because we have so much to say about the funky robot band. it's almost a mini fansite at this point, with introductions to the characters, quizzes, discussions about our fan theories, and even a hidden page. it has some of our proudest work (fully randomized cover art quiz that checks user input for the song name!) and some of our silliest (mini essay where i devolve into madness over an inconsequential lore theory)

it's just labors of love about the things we adore. and that's pretty neat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version