Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @143.96 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials
| | |-+  Marigold Town: webhosting with a small-town vibe

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Marigold Town: webhosting with a small-town vibe  (Read 2027 times)
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« on: September 16, 2023 @413.68 »

announcing marigold town!

marigold town is 100% free webhosting with a small-town theme and public-facing "storefronts," where each website is given an iframe on the homepage like an external building's facade. think webgardens combined into a webhost that is promoting all the sites hosted on the platform on the homepage's town map. for instance, a website that showcases someone's favorite flowers from their home region could be themed after a florist. a website dedicated to downloadable games could be themed after an arcade. a wiki all about tea could be a teahouse. a microsite dedicated to self-care could be a spa.

marigold town uses real-life architecture, buildings, third places, and town theming to encourage personal and hobbyist websites with a built-in way to discover the websites. there's a lot of opportunity here to show how fun web-building can be. the idea is not to have someone's main personal site on marigold.town, but a site that you want to build around the theme that is updated with some regularity.

i'm super excited about this project!! we'll be launching in october, and early adopters will help showcase what marigold town will look like.

we are live!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023 @834.31 by xandra » Logged
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023 @466.10 »

That's such an exciting project! :omg: I would love to participate! This sound very fun.

I have an idea for some short of horror themed "maze-like" site that will grow over time. Kind of similar to fauux's project (but not really). So, I'm guessing it will either be marked as a museum or gallery...? Not sure just yet. I'll think about it! If you have an idea, you can let me know.

Questions:
How much storage/bandwidth will there be available? What file types are allowed? Will it allow static hosting only? And I suppose this will be one site per user, right? I need to start planning!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023 @478.47 by TheNothingMonster » Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023 @483.80 »

This is such a cute (and exciting) idea!!! I always love when people play with the idea of a website being a "place" you can "visit". I'm excited to see what kind of sites people make for this project.

Memory
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023 @487.81 »

I loooove this idea, and though I've got way too many ongoing projects ATM meaning I can't join in, I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone else creates! Such a cute idea  :transport:
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023 @498.43 »

I love this! I'll see if anything comes to mind that I could host there.
I like that it encourages topic-focused websites, that is still somewhat rare in web revival spaces.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023 @518.94 »

I have questions! But I think most of them could be answered by a screenshot of the town itself! It sounds like a very visual idea, but there are no visuals yet, so I feel like I'd be doing a disservice too it by trying to assume things!

At any rate its certainly intriguing :ha: ! I have a few fun ideas of buildings to add :grin: 

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cuplike
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023 @694.26 »

xandra ate, as expected. cool project  :dog:

read on how i ran a minecraft server on 17 year old cpu: https://mlijeko.me/blog/oldcpu
Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

StatusCafe: azure
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023 @790.47 »

This is such a cute idea! I love the execution so far, and I really look forward to what everyone makes!!

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023 @826.69 »

i'm so glad to see so many folks enthused about this as i am! i'm really excited.  :ozwomp:

That's such an exciting project! :omg: I would love to participate! This sound very fun.

I have an idea for some short of horror themed "maze-like" site that will grow over time. Kind of similar to fauux's project (but not really). So, I'm guessing it will either be marked as a museum or gallery...? Not sure just yet. I'll think about it! If you have an idea, you can let me know.

Questions:
How much storage/bandwidth will there be available? What file types are allowed? Will it allow static hosting only? And I suppose this will be one site per user, right? I need to start planning!

great questions and i love your idea! don't feel like you have to attach a strict business to your idea if you're able to make another real-life metaphor like a labyrinth or hedge maze. :) that fits perfectly too! whatever you think would fit as a real-life place in a town.

final details will be announced on launch, but here's what i can answer:

• How much storage/bandwidth will there be available? we're starting at 2GB for everyone, but we can do more if needed. we're also starting at 150GB of bandwidth, but that's a very soft limit. we will likely increase that at launch.
  • What file types are allowed? all file types are OK, but content illegal in the US won't be allowed, including copywritten mp3s. (this acceptable use policy is a good indicator of what will/won't be allowed.)
  • Will it allow static hosting only? no! php, server-side includes, mySQL databases—it's all allowed. if you want to host a CMS, that's allowed, too.
  • And I suppose this will be one site per user, right? no! one user can have multiple subdomains. we might impose a soft limit initially to prevent over-extension/burnout, but it will be around 5 subdomains per user. (consistency over intensity — we don't want there to be a bunch of placeholder sites!)

thank you all for the encouragement!!!
loren
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: ribose
iMood: ribose

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Learning to swim!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023 @875.78 »

:chef:  :chef:  :chef:  :chef:
i love this

xandra, this rocks! i have the most fun with my site when i'm modeling pages after physical spaces, so this is right up my alley. :dive:

are you (or is marty the mayor) okay with the town including places that are a bit... out of time? i've taken an interest in the history of science and medicine, and i would love to set up a site like an apothecary! there could be adoptable pixel tinctures and other early medicines, and an alchemist's workshop in the back with historical info about early chemistry decorated with public domain images of surreal alchemical manuscripts. i think it could be fun! but i have some other ideas too if you'd like to keep it more modern.
Mela
Casual Poster ⚓︎

PicMix: Melaaaa

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023 @918.83 »

This is an awesome idea! I'd love to make something like a museum or gallery for explaining paintings and sculptures, and place the pieces in different sections based on their time period. I don't really know where to begin from, but either way I could expand it over time.
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023 @104.58 »

i love this

xandra, this rocks! i have the most fun with my site when i'm modeling pages after physical spaces, so this is right up my alley. :dive:

are you (or is marty the mayor) okay with the town including places that are a bit... out of time? i've taken an interest in the history of science and medicine, and i would love to set up a site like an apothecary! there could be adoptable pixel tinctures and other early medicines, and an alchemist's workshop in the back with historical info about early chemistry decorated with public domain images of surreal alchemical manuscripts. i think it could be fun! but i have some other ideas too if you'd like to keep it more modern.

thank you so, so much! yes, any time period works! :) i love this idea!

This is an awesome idea! I'd love to make something like a museum or gallery for explaining paintings and sculptures, and place the pieces in different sections based on their time period. I don't really know where to begin from, but either way I could expand it over time.

definitely sounds like an awesome idea!! :D
Grimlock
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Harley | He/they |

StatusCafe: dinosaur
iMood: Grimlock

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023 @164.73 »

oh this seems like a cool idea! excited to see what others do with their sites!

TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023 @385.74 »

great questions and i love your idea! don't feel like you have to attach a strict business to your idea if you're able to make another real-life metaphor like a labyrinth or hedge maze. :) that fits perfectly too! whatever you think would fit as a real-life place in a town.
Thank you! I reckon a hedge maze would fit nicely for now! :ha:
I'll sign up for the residency waiting list since I won't have enough time to be ready until the Early Adopter deadline. I wish I did!
(Do I have to fill in the town business, subdomain & username details in that case?)

• How much storage/bandwidth will there be available? we're starting at 2GB for everyone, but we can do more if needed. we're also starting at 150GB of bandwidth, but that's a very soft limit. we will likely increase that at launch.
  • What file types are allowed? all file types are OK, but content illegal in the US won't be allowed, including copywritten mp3s. (this acceptable use policy is a good indicator of what will/won't be allowed.)
  • Will it allow static hosting only? no! php, server-side includes, mySQL databases—it's all allowed. if you want to host a CMS, that's allowed, too.
  • And I suppose this will be one site per user, right? no! one user can have multiple subdomains. we might impose a soft limit initially to prevent over-extension/burnout, but it will be around 5 subdomains per user. (consistency over intensity — we don't want there to be a bunch of placeholder sites!)

thank you all for the encouragement!!!

Woah!! That's awesome! I wasn't expecting so much freedom for a free service. :omg: Thanks for letting me know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023 @291.40 »

happy to announce that early adopters are beginning to get accounts starting today. emails have been sent out! :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Oo Animal Crossing Towns oO - Share your town!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 8
Views: 2293
Last post November 07, 2023 @41.97
by soapfriendo
{TINIEST TOWNS}

Started by NightdriftBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 5
Views: 2456
Last post July 06, 2024 @634.07
by grubbyfox
Libre.Town - New and Improved

Started by MemoryBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 23
Views: 1662
Last post March 09, 2023 @128.06
by Memory

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi