World Wild Web > ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?

<< < (2/13) > >>

lulu:

--- Quote from: Karius on March 16, 2022 @514.81 ---All caps/all lowercase: Terrible for screen readers, especially the former. I would suggest doing something with the "text-transform" property on your CSS instead of actually typing like that.

--- End quote ---

oops, i do this. Oops, I do this :eyes: I'm a weirdo who likes the symmetry of lowercase letters, which is probably a Wrong Opinion, and a dumb excuse to break rules. I'm working on sucking it up, and text-transform is a happy medium that somehow never crossed my mind. I hate to admit that I didn't think about screen readers for a long time, since I've never had to experience the web with one. It's something I think about now, but I guess I have a lot to learn.

I don't have too many pet peeves, but some sites do kinda feel more like 1990s roleplay. I'm not very interested in those, but I still support people having fun being webmasters. Whatever gets the kids off TikTok.

cinni:

--- Quote from: lulu on March 26, 2022 @962.16 ---
--- Quote from: Karius on March 16, 2022 @514.81 ---All caps/all lowercase: Terrible for screen readers, especially the former. I would suggest doing something with the "text-transform" property on your CSS instead of actually typing like that.

--- End quote ---

oops, i do this. Oops, I do this :eyes: I'm a weirdo who likes the symmetry of lowercase letters, which is probably a Wrong Opinion, and a dumb excuse to break rules. I'm working on sucking it up, and text-transform is a happy medium that somehow never crossed my mind. I hate to admit that I didn't think about screen readers for a long time, since I've never had to experience the web with one. It's something I think about now, but I guess I have a lot to learn.

I don't have too many pet peeves, but some sites do kinda feel more like 1990s roleplay. I'm not very interested in those, but I still support people having fun being webmasters. Whatever gets the kids off TikTok.

--- End quote ---

oy same!! i never thought of using text-transform for all lower case (i use it for things like titles/headers i want to be in all caps haha). i normally type in all lowercase by default but there are times i would want to Emphasize certain words so i apologize to everyone with screen readers in advance. ;-; i will certainly keep this in mind tho for my more professional/community orientated sites!

Karius:
@lulu @cinni

Well, I'm glad I could offer some insight! We actually really like the look of all-caps/all-lowercase in some areas myself, but we avoid typing like that now. I highly recommend trying out a screen reader for yourself just to test out the way it works with your site. We've been meaning to do that, especially now that I'm using Iframes again (they're not inherently bad, we just need to make sure they make sense when being read).

- Alastor

Gans:
Having low-colour images without optimising the file size.
To be honest, most pages on Neocities fall short on this. Call themselves "retro", "old style", from the "yesterday's web", but completly forget about optimising file sizes for the machine's of yesterday! The actual HTML code is irrelevant in this case, it's about the images, that take a lot of space and can take time to load.
Without much/any quality loss, you could transform a low-colour 180 KB PNG to 60 KB. Just convert the image to 256 colours. Or even 128, or even 64... (with GraphicsGale for example).
And that's the difference between loading immediately or loading scrappy on a bad mobile connection or on an old computer.

Karius:

--- Quote from: Gans on April 27, 2022 @834.87 ---Having low-colour images without optimising the file size.
To be honest, most pages on Neocities fall short on this. Call themselves "retro", "old style", from the "yesterday's web", but completly forget about optimising file sizes for the machine's of yesterday! The actual HTML code is irrelevant in this case, it's about the images, that take a lot of space and can take time to load.
Without much/any quality loss, you could transform a low-colour 180 KB PNG to 60 KB. Just convert the image to 256 colours. Or even 128, or even 64... (with GraphicsGale for example).
And that's the difference between loading immediately or loading scrappy on a bad mobile connection or on an old computer.

--- End quote ---

I should probably start doing this, ahah... Thanks for bringing this up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version