Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @340.13 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ☑︎ ∙ Events
| | | |-+  SurfClub Guides E-Zine! #1 - Pilot! - Out Now!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SurfClub Guides E-Zine! #1 - Pilot! - Out Now!  (Read 3292 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« on: December 02, 2023 @891.41 »

:dog: 
  SurfClub Guides E-Zine #1 

This e-zine is now readable! https://melonland.net/zine/issue-1/

Hello, I mentioned this in the cafe chat a few days ago and people seemed enthusiastic so here we go!  :ozwomp:

The Surf Club E-Zine will be a free online community-written zine containing tutorials, guides and other info provided by Surf Club webring members! (If you're on this forum you are prob a surf club member :tongue: )

The focus of the zine is to share guides and tutorials about things you know; primarily in the interest of promoting the web as a free and open repository of knowledge, enthusiasm and art.

Guides can be about anything you want to share; but here are some ideas to get your brain going!
  • How to show your LastFM status on your site.
  • How to make an animated site badge in blender (Why does no one do this??)
  • Bob's Almond Tart Recipe (Pleaee bob telll me!!)
  • A guide to making your first game
  • Painting rocks, an educated experience (fancy!)
  • Staying safe online; a list of too many privacy browser extensions you need and why they are not good enough regardless
  • Getting to the moon in a cardboard box (Let's face it everyone tries but not many succeed)
  • Animating avatars in Whirled Online (Yes it still exists!)
  • etc etc etc

Now I know what you're thinking "Dood I don't know anything", well Im here to tell you "yes u do" so go write your guide; things that seem obvious to you might seem totally impossible to someone else.

You can create your guide entirely in HTML yourself, including providing images, videos, audio, scripts or 3D elements. However please make sure your whole guide is contained in a single folder, and avoid hotlinking for the sake of archivability. I expect most guides will be a single page, but you can use as many pages as you like.

When the zine is published all the guides will be framed together and be available to view on MelonLand.Net! (Along the lines of the former YW E-Zine)

Starting from a blank canvas is scary so Iv attached a template you can use below, but the template is by no means mandatory  :ha:

The deadline for submissions is February 2nd 4th 2024! good luck

If you plan to do a particular topic - I recommend posting about it below so that you don't end up conflicting with someone else, or maybe if you like you could team up to work on a guide together!

You can attach completed submissions in a forum PM to me, or send them to webmaster@melonking.net anytime before the deadline!

Topics so far - updated: 2/2/2024
  • @owlhardie - how to make a web shrine
  • @DiffyDude - how to break away from that main corpus of the internet
  • @Bebe - why everyone should switch to Firefox
  • @BlazingCobaltX - how to make your music sound more Indian
  • @Marcellus - How to fill your personal website [with content]
  • @Melon - Finding information
  • @Thunder - Vegan health advice
  • @Nothing - Setting up a local server/li]

* Surf Club E-Zine Template.zip (96.04 kB - downloaded 29 times.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024 @1.97 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023 @971.23 »

I think ill join this event, but how do i join the surf club?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023 @973.16 »

how do i join the surf club?
There is a wiki entry here with all the deets! but the short answer is that you are automatically in the surf club when you're a forum member (you see the little anchor under your name and next to your group?? click it, its a surf club anchor!)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023 @974.47 »

There is a wiki entry here with all the deets! but the short answer is that you are automatically in the surf club when you're a forum member (you see the little anchor under your name and next to your group?? click it, its a surf club anchor!)

Woah i never noticed that you could click the anchor :o thank you for telling me

owlhari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

attune your ears to the grinding gears!

StatusCafe: owlhari

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023 @179.61 »

oooh this seems so fun!!

we think we might make something along the lines of "how to make a web shrine!" lots of folks seem to want to make pages for their favorite things on their personal sites, but sometimes its hard to get started, or think of what to put in them! our shrines might be our favorite part of our site, we wanna share the joy!

owl(s) | they/xe | plural
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023 @184.20 »

oooh this seems so fun!!

we think we might make something along the lines of "how to make a web shrine!" lots of folks seem to want to make pages for their favorite things on their personal sites, but sometimes its hard to get started, or think of what to put in them! our shrines might be our favorite part of our site, we wanna share the joy!

I think i'd love to share how to break away from that main corpus of the internet most people stay on. I've seen so many people say stuff about this sort of thing, and now i wanna write it down on paper. I'd also love to put in HTML guides and stuff in my zine
Also GREAT idea i just had, i wanna make mine like its a book from the 17th-18th century, with hand drawn artwork and stuff

Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

StatusCafe: azure

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023 @932.47 »

I think I'm gonna join this event and make my guide about why everyone should switch to Firefox, and a bunch of extension recs!  :4u: Super excited to see what I can learn from this! Where do we submit our guides once they're complete?

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023 @935.10 »

do we submit our guides once they're complete
I forgot about that bit :drat:

You can attach them in a forum PM to me, or send them to webmaster@melonking.net !

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023 @416.05 »

I think I will try my hand at a "how to make your music sound more Indian" type of thing. Kind of a quick guide for songwriters and composers.
Biggus
Casual Poster

I love wigs <3

StatusCafe: taterinx
iMood: taterinx

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023 @960.97 »

oooh this seems so fun!!

That would actually be so handy. Shrines seem so easy as a concept but I've been dwelling on it for so long, God knows why. So even just some basic prompts would be amazing!

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023 @777.74 »

Bump to bring this under the attention again ask if OP can be updated with the entries so far?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023 @783.88 »

ask if OP can be updated with the entries so far?
I don't think there have been any submitted guides so far (Unless some have slipped my mind :ohdear: ) - If there are not enough guides to make a reasonable zine issue, then the deadline will be extended until there are enough; or if there are no submissions at all the project will be cancelled; but there's still quite a bit of time left so I don't expect that :innocent:

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023 @788.98 »

I don't think there have been any submitted guides so far (Unless some have slipped my mind :ohdear: ) - If there are not enough guides to make a reasonable zine issue, then the deadline will be extended until there are enough; or if there are no submissions at all the project will be cancelled; but there's still quite a bit of time left so I don't expect that :innocent:

Sorry, I meant the people who have already signed up to make a zine, not the finished entries yet. I would find it incredible if someone had finished one already. :omg:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023 @810.41 »

I meant the people who have already signed up to make a zine
Done!

TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2024 @721.03 »

I had started working on a tutorial on how to set up a local web server a while back, so I guess I could resume it and finalise it for this zine! I was initially going to add it on my site as a blog post, but got bored of the idea. :ok: I wonder if anyone would be interested in this guide.

Questions: Is it possible to submit more than one guide and will it be possible to update a guide after submission?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Hypnospace Outlaw

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 31
Views: 4973
Last post February 06, 2024 @698.00
by foxmosis
Site tour guides?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 789
Last post December 31, 2022 @120.06
by Memory
dotmidi's : Outfit of the Day

Started by dotmidiBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 13
Views: 1085
Last post December 17, 2023 @871.67
by crow-queen

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi