Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @850.67 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 43/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Your thoughts on the forum categories?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Your thoughts on the forum categories?  (Read 5443 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: March 26, 2022 @677.51 »

So we are a few months into the forum now and Iv been reviewing how its working out and if anything needs to be changed.

I'm mainly looking at the categories, particularly the ones with lots of posts and not many posts.

3D Modeling has only 4 topics, so it prob needs to be merged into another category. While Internet and Web has 37 topics, so it might need to be split into new categories.

Do people think off topic is working? That maybe could be split into interests like Anime/Comics, Graphic Design and Social threads.

So here is what I'm thinking:
  • New category - Website Making (Dedicated to topics about making websites)
  • New category - Anime & Comics
  • New category - Graphic Design (For topics like pan & scan)
  • New category - Social Club (Possibly? Not sure about this one - for topics like What drinks have you've been drinking as of lately?)
  • Rename category - Internet and Website Discussion to Internet Discussion
  • Rename category - Art to Art & 3D Modeling

I would prob move the existing 3D Worlds topics to the links and showcase section? Not sure about that 100%

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022 @687.45 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022 @746.68 »

So we are a few months into the forum now and Iv been reviewing how its working out and if anything needs to be changed.

I'm mainly looking at the categories, particularly the ones with lots of posts and not many posts.

3D Modeling has only 4 topics, so it prob needs to be merged into another category. While Internet and Web has 37 topics, so it might need to be split into new categories.

I think the categories right now are completely fine. But yes, merging & splitting categories is a good thing. First off, the internet is huge, there are plenty of things to talk about it. Another thing to take note is that a lot of the most talked about topics are negative or asks the reader a question (these topics typically get more engagement). 3D can be hard to learn and it would be easier to just use something like the internet category.

Do people think off topic is working? That maybe could be split into interests like Anime/Comics, Graphic Design and Social threads.

Personally for me, I often get "Off topic" confused with "General Discussion" both categories are quite similar (Don't you think?). I think a lot of new users would get confused with both categories. As for splitting it, I think having an off topic category is good for a forum like this one, but I think having the option to move the topic would be good instead of having the admin do all the work.

Solution + suggested solution = answer?

While yes, splitting categories maybe a good idea on paper but there needs to also be a bit of sorting on the index page. I think having a bunch of similar categories in one section would be great (Similar with what you did for Community zone and Workshop) For example, The "Art Zone" and "Music Room" Categories could be moved from the community zone section to an art section on the index page. Splitting big categories and adding smaller ones in the same mix but in a different custom section of the index page could give the small categories a second chance.

Another weird idea would be to allow the community to suggest categories, but I would allow you to figure it out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022 @751.67 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Obspogon
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Hi

StatusCafe: obspogon
iMood: Obspogon
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022 @965.10 »

Speaking of suggesting categories, I think there should be a Forum Games category.

----------------------
https://obspogon.neocities.org/
----------------------

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022 @570.10 »

I see these are good suggestions! I think the idea with off topic is that its for things that don't relate to the forums overall theme, but I do agree its a bit confusing here.

Also your always welcome to suggest categories! Also also thanks for spotting that regular members cant move topics, I have added that permission so you should now be able to move your own topics freely. :ozwomp:

A revised plan based on your feedback! - Let me know how this feels for you all.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022 @814.79 »

I see these are good suggestions! I think the idea with off topic is that its for things that don't relate to the forums overall theme, but I do agree its a bit confusing here.

Also your always welcome to suggest categories! Also also thanks for spotting that regular members cant move topics, I have added that permission so you should now be able to move your own topics freely. :ozwomp:

A revised plan based on your feedback! - Let me know how this feels for you all.

i am in favor of this change! i agree off-topic / general is kind of the same.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022 @667.97 »

The reorganization is now complete! Lemmy feel free to ask any questions or add any more comments though! :ha:
Also I moved many topics, if I moved your topic and you think I got it wrong, feel free to move it yourself! (Scroll to the bottom of the first page of the topic and find the move button at the end!)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022 @669.61 by Melooon » Logged

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022 @865.03 »

The reorganization is now complete! Lemmy feel free to ask any questions or add any more comments though! :ha:
Also I moved many topics, if I moved your topic and you think I got it wrong, feel free to move it yourself! (Scroll to the bottom of the first page of the topic and find the move button at the end!)

What is the difference between "Chat & Forum games" and "Community discussion"?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022 @966.61 »

Community discussion is intended for discussion about this community. About the forum specifically, but also things related to the wider web revival community.

Chat and Forum Games is a social space for chatting casually, social discussions not related to the internet, posting silly topics and sharing your real life ^^

EDIT: I updated the descriptions to make that a lil more clear!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022 @968.53 by Melooon » Logged

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022 @289.61 »

Please bring back the off topic category. I have things that won't fit in any of the available ones.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022 @520.98 »

Please bring back the off topic category. I have things that won't fit in any of the available ones.

Chat & Forum Games is the off topic category, it was just renamed :grin: What topic do you think don't fit? (Some examples would be handy)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022 @586.98 by Melooon » Logged

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022 @95.97 »

Chat & Forum Games is the off topic category, it was just renamed :grin: What topic do you think don't fit? (Some examples would be handy)

School

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022 @555.01 »

Internet Discussion

Hi, so Iv decided to move Internet Discussion to the archive (You can read it but cannot make new posts). WHY THO? Put simply, most of the posts there are about being unhappy with the internet today.. that's fine, most of the internet today is a pain and I'm unhappy with it too! However I want this forum to be about constructing something positive and new, not focusing on the bad of the world.

I want the forum to be about things that inspire and make people happy; I know that some of the discussions on there, such as metaverse, the web3, social media etc are SUPER important issues to discuss... I suppose though.. I don't really want to be the gatekeeper of those discussions, its not what brings me joy in life.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, if everyones really annoyed at this we can restore it! It wont be deleted anytime soon as I think these discussions have important historical relevance tooo.

Feel free to voice your opinion!

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022 @888.09 »

Internet Discussion

Hi, so Iv decided to move Internet Discussion to the archive (You can read it but cannot make new posts). WHY THO? Put simply, most of the posts there are about being unhappy with the internet today.. that's fine, most of the internet today is a pain and I'm unhappy with it too! However I want this forum to be about constructing something positive and new, not focusing on the bad of the world.

I want the forum to be about things that inspire and make people happy; I know that some of the discussions on there, such as metaverse, the web3, social media etc are SUPER important issues to discuss... I suppose though.. I don't really want to be the gatekeeper of those discussions, its not what brings me joy in life.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, if everyones really annoyed at this we can restore it! It wont be deleted anytime soon as I think these discussions have important historical relevance tooo.

Feel free to voice your opinion!

This is an understandable move. But maybe bring it back after a week or two? I think the forum just needs to take a break from internet discussion. It's our fault for trashing it. (Is there a better word?)

easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022 @84.02 »

Good move, if we only focus on the negatives, nothing positive will ever happen

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022 @259.02 »

I took a look at the Internet Discussion board again, and yeah, the topics in there are overwhelmingly negative. I definitely contributed to that, but I didn't realize it made up a majority of the topics (I usually only browse via Recent Posts). And there's lots and lots of other places to talk about that kind of stuff-- especially on the very platforms that are getting blasted.

That said, I'm personally interested in defunct or "historical" Internet services, and I've seen other people make posts about those. I'd like a place where I can still do this, so maybe they could get rolled into the existing boards? For example, historical virtual world discussion (like the topics about The Palace and TinyTIM) could get officially lumped in with video games, and stuff pertaining to the web (like the thread about Nintendo's old site) could fit in with Website Making? Just an idea, 'cause it seems excessive to make a whole new board for "Internet Discussion, But Old". :omg:k:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022 @344.41 by Kutan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 247
Views: 21135
Last post April 23, 2024 @951.50
by DiffydaDude
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5468
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3370
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi