Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @614.94 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 43/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  Making a visual novel

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Making a visual novel  (Read 547 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: February 16, 2023 @140.63 »

So I am currently working on a visual novel that I've wanted to make since forever. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about VN engines? My first thought is RenPy but I'm open to other suggestions and would greatly appreciate learning resources! I'd love to let some people here be the first to see/play because this community is what inspired me to finally make it! Let me know if you want to help at all or would like to see it when it's ready!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

RodFireProductions
Jr. Member ⚓︎

🍄🖤🐀

StatusCafe: rodfire8181
iMood: rodfire8181
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023 @153.53 »

I've worked on a few different visual novels all using Ren'Py. It's open source, free, and there's a lot of resources and tools people make for it. I'd recommend looking into the forums. People share a lot of code snippets there. Itch.io also has a lot of tools and assets made for Ren'Py.

The scripting language is pretty easy to understand (I think) when starting up. VimislikArt has pretty good simple tutorials for Ren'py that can help you get an idea of what you might be getting into.

Another free engine I've heard of is TuesdayJs. I've never used it before though. I've heard TyranoBuilder can be janky but it's an option. I'd avoid Visual Novel Maker; I haven't heard a good thing about it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023 @156.47 by RodFireProductions » Logged

we art, web dev, and game dev
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023 @190.61 »

Ren'Py is good, but I found you do need quite a bit of programming knowledge compared to some of the alternatives.

I like Twine. It's more tailored to interactive fiction than visual novels, but since you can use html and css, if you can make a web page you can customize it to be whatever you want.
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023 @776.99 »

Ren'Py is good, but I found you do need quite a bit of programming knowledge compared to some of the alternatives.

I like Twine. It's more tailored to interactive fiction than visual novels, but since you can use html and css, if you can make a web page you can customize it to be whatever you want.

I've worked on a few different visual novels all using Ren'Py. It's open source, free, and there's a lot of resources and tools people make for it. I'd recommend looking into the forums. People share a lot of code snippets there. Itch.io also has a lot of tools and assets made for Ren'Py.

The scripting language is pretty easy to understand (I think) when starting up. VimislikArt has pretty good simple tutorials for Ren'py that can help you get an idea of what you might be getting into.

Another free engine I've heard of is TuesdayJs. I've never used it before though. I've heard TyranoBuilder can be janky but it's an option. I'd avoid Visual Novel Maker; I haven't heard a good thing about it.

I'm definetly gonna use that guys tutorials even if I use another engine! I actually have been looking at twine and some other less code heavy alternatives. Thank you both for the resources!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1752
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!
php heck: making a search engine

Started by cinniBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 1464
Last post February 22, 2022 @256.30
by ellievoyyd
making a game character in blender

Started by cinniBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 7
Views: 2102
Last post June 08, 2022 @501.32
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi