Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @169.79 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  Finally built a custom layout!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Finally built a custom layout!  (Read 842 times)
night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: December 28, 2023 @154.18 »

It took me a while to get the main pages done (university workload has been insane), but I finally put together a custom layout for my fan site! W3schools is a gift to this earth for all the help they've given me. Still updating the deeper pages, but the surface pages are all set. I'm going for a simple, professional vibe, easy to read and navigate.

Check it out!! And say hi if you want :grin:

Tiny Roman Appreciator

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023 @168.99 »

Yk i gotta ask, why do you like NatM so much? I mean there are some amazing movies out there, but why NatM specifically?  :dunno:
Like, i never even knew there was a search engine specifically for NatM related stuff until now, and its because of you being here. Why oh why do you love this darn movie  :wink:

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023 @239.12 »

Yk i gotta ask, why do you like NatM so much? I mean there are some amazing movies out there, but why NatM specifically?  :dunno:
Like, i never even knew there was a search engine specifically for NatM related stuff until now, and its because of you being here. Why oh why do you love this darn movie  :wink:

Nostalgia hit me like a bus while I was helping my parents move about a year ago. I watched the original trilogy, and then later in 2022 the animated one came out, and news of the musical was spread. This was also the time where I was honing my skills in university for professional archivism; and seeing as how there was SO LITTLE PRESERVATION for such an influential franchise, I said "heck with it" and started saving stuff! A year or so later and here we are. Doesn't help that Robin Williams was the only celebrity I gave a shit about as a child (Aladdin, Flubber, Mrs. Doubtfire).

Also, I'm a man who can appreciate Owen Wilson. Mr Wow-Kachow has given me brain worms.

Tiny Roman Appreciator

xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024 @687.04 »

It took me a while to get the main pages done (university workload has been insane), but I finally put together a custom layout for my fan site! W3schools is a gift to this earth for all the help they've given me. Still updating the deeper pages, but the surface pages are all set. I'm going for a simple, professional vibe, easy to read and navigate.

Check it out!! And say hi if you want :grin:

Hey. Hope you don't mind but I had a look at your site and noticed one of your headings was overflowing in the left section and some of your other elements were off the screen. I just had a play around with the inspector tool and a few small changes have really helped. You can set the sidebar class, header, and grid containers' max-width property to 100% (max-width: 100% for each of these element in your CSS). This has brought the missing content back onto the screen. Just my suggestions, feel free to ignore! :)

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024 @1.56 »

Hey. Hope you don't mind but I had a look at your site and noticed one of your headings was overflowing in the left section and some of your other elements were off the screen. I just had a play around with the inspector tool and a few small changes have really helped. You can set the sidebar class, header, and grid containers' max-width property to 100% (max-width: 100% for each of these element in your CSS). This has brought the missing content back onto the screen. Just my suggestions, feel free to ignore! :)

Thanks for pointing that out!! I built the site with my laptop's screen in mind; I'll update the CSS as soon as I can. c:

Tiny Roman Appreciator

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024 @59.70 »

Nice job so far! I have a few suggestions that might be of use to you. If not, discard them.

• Instead of using <div> with classes, it might be worthwhile to use some of HTML5's dedicated tags.
    • <div class="header"> could be <header>
    • <div class="footer"> could be <footer>
    • <div class="sidebar"> could be <nav> (since your navigation is there)
    • <div class="menu"> could be <main> (since your main content is here)
    • <div class="imagezone"> could be <aside> (since it contains additional content but isn't navigation)
    The main benefit to using the dedicated tags is that browsers can easily identify what each part of a page does, which makes them more accessible to people using screen readers. Also, if your main content is in <main> it'll show up when activating the browser's reader mode.
  • If you arrange your page in this order: header, nav, main, aside, and footer, then you've got a mobile-friendly layout by default. If you put your grid layout inside a CSS media query like "@media only screen and (pointer: fine)" you can keep your site mobile-friendly and provide your 3-column layout for laptop and desktop screens. This will also make it easier to make your website printer-friendly. :)
  • Instead of a six-column grid, maybe five columns (menu main main main right) will give your menu and sidebar a little more room while still leaving plenty of room for your main content.
  • You don't have to set the widths of elements inside the .grid-container with inline styles. CSS Grid will take care of layout; that's what it's for.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024 @85.06 by starbreaker » Logged

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024 @284.86 »

Instead of a six-column grid, maybe five columns (menu main main main right) will give your menu and sidebar a little more room while still leaving plenty of room for your main content.

I'll test that out on some of the newer pages being built! I appreciate your suggestions :4u:

Tiny Roman Appreciator

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 5445
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
HELP: troubles in implementing iframe to my existing layout

Started by morrysillusionBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 8
Views: 2050
Last post June 07, 2022 @522.55
by Melooon
we built this city on stolen gifs

Started by luluBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 2847
Last post December 27, 2023 @613.38
by PurpleHello98

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi