Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @590.42 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Modern Games about the Old Web

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Modern Games about the Old Web  (Read 506 times)
Colliewood
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Ca-caww!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: February 17, 2023 @765.53 »

There is nothing I can say about this game that fully encapsulates the feelings I had playing it. You play as a young trans girl on the early web, posting on a forum about an anime you watch. There are themes of community, hate, abuse, but ultimately a happy ending. This is not my experience, but it feels raw and true. and I don't think it could have been possible if it wasn't set in 1999 and based around forums and instant messengers. I genuinely cried at this game and I'll tell you that does not happen often.

Terranova is another game that I haven't finished. (I kinda stopped playing games for a while) But i really want to pick it back up. It has a very similar premise as Secret Little Haven, I don't know if it'll make me cry as well, but it shares themes of LGBT and the experiences are much closer to mine (set in 2000s, roleplaying communitites). if you play either of these, or have another game with similar framing let me know!

I didn't mention Hypnospace Outlaw because there is already a thread for that here, one of the earliest threads on this forum. Definitely if you like Hypnospace go read that thread, give it the revival it deserves.

She/Her Canadian anarchist. Mythological Post-Modern Urban/Folk-Gothic Decolonial of 26 years
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023 @807.53 »

There is nothing I can say about this game that fully encapsulates the feelings I had playing it. You play as a young trans girl on the early web, posting on a forum about an anime you watch. There are themes of community, hate, abuse, but ultimately a happy ending. This is not my experience, but it feels raw and true. and I don't think it could have been possible if it wasn't set in 1999 and based around forums and instant messengers. I genuinely cried at this game and I'll tell you that does not happen often.

:omg:  :omg: this sounds sooo good i really need to check this out thank you for sharing!  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023 @801.77 »

The "Emily is Away" games (I think three are out there, I played one) are very similar! It's technically not the web-web (as in browser), but old chats and instant messaging like MSN or AOL.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5166
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4028
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 12875
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi