Art & Games > ♖ ∙ Video Games

Linux Mascot Games. (Yes, they exist.)

(1/3) > >>

Icey!:
While I was on my laptop being bored as usual I instantly remembered a title that I once heard about "SuperTuxKart" a Mario Kart inspired game but with Open source mascots from the Linux community. Long story short, I download and played it.

Seems like an unexpected topic doesn't it? I thought they where interesting to look at.

1. SuperTuxKart

SKT feels like a Mario kart clone while also being it's own thing. While yes, you can do the usual racing, battling, and time trials. But it also has a graphic settings panel which Mario Kart doesn't have. The only complaint I have with this game is the animations and UI feel a little dated. (9/10)

2. SuperTux

In this game, instead of Mario kart with Tux, you get Super Mario Bros with Tux! This game is pretty good but the only problem is that I suck at platformers. I could be going around killing enemies with my power up until I fall down a pit and move back to the last checkpoint causing me to be more vulnerable since I lost my power up. (7/10)

Current Conclusion

From looking at these games this makes me think about how Linux gaming was back then, especially since a lot of these games are older than me! If there is anything that I missed, let me know in the replies!

Karius:
Did not expect to see these games mentioned here, ahah. We love SuperTuxKart! We usually play as Xue.

I think that even if some aspects of the game feel dated, it's amazing that it's completely open-source. I think it's a pretty impressive project, even having online multiplayer.

- Alastor

debleb:
my dad is a certified linux guy and he has a bunch of those linux themed games on his laptop, i remember playing the mario kart one once it was surprisingly fun! also some kind of bootleg minecraft?

j:

--- Quote from: debleb on March 22, 2023 @727.36 ---my dad is a certified linux guy and he has a bunch of those linux themed games on his laptop, i remember playing the mario kart one once it was surprisingly fun! also some kind of bootleg minecraft?

--- End quote ---

you might be thinking of minetest, which is a cool open-source alternative :)

debleb:

--- Quote from: Dodge2667 on March 22, 2023 @790.22 ---you might be thinking of minetest, which is a cool open-source alternative :)

--- End quote ---

oh yes i think that is the one! neat, it looks like a lot more has been done with it than i thought  :omg:  :omg: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version