Art & Games > ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Binding your own (note)books

(1/2) > >>

caracalled:
During the course of my studies I got to learn how to bind books using a bunch of different methods and it has absolutely changed the way I think about notebooks and planners (but also the way I view books in general!)

I have started to make my own notebooks and planners for me and my partner and it's much cheaper and much more customizable which I love! For example I often look up DIN measurements for work and next time i make a planner I will just include a page with them at the end of the planner to always have with me.
Plus I've been trying a bunch of formats to see what works for me specifically instead of relying on whatever I can find at the store, like folding the A4 paper in half differently from how you normally would with an A5 notebook so I have a really slim tall notebook that fits in my bag perfectly, or making notebooks that fit my partners jeans pocket size perfectly :D

Does anyone else here do something similar? What are things you might have discovered on the way or what would be things you'd like to try out?

Dibs:
I went to a bookmaking workshop towards the end of 2023 and have since picked up the materials to do some at home! I've been a bit busy, and I'm stuck for interesting ideas on what to do with them, but I'm excited to give it another go. Your ideas about sizing books for specific places has already got my mind whirring. What do you tend to do with your books?

caracalled:

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Dibs on January 21, 2024 @31.22 ---I went to a bookmaking workshop towards the end of 2023 and have since picked up the materials to do some at home! I've been a bit busy, and I'm stuck for interesting ideas on what to do with them, but I'm excited to give it another go. Your ideas about sizing books for specific places has already got my mind whirring. What do you tend to do with your books?

--- End quote ---

Ohhh that's so cool!! Please send any experiments in here, I'd love to see! Especially if you have more ideas about the sizing of books!

I actually study graphic design and my specialty is book/editorial design so a couple of my "books" are class projects that either end up being used in presentations/exhibits for my school (nothing fancy tho believe me) or kinda just sitting on shelves and catching dust! The process is super fun nonetheless!
Otherwise I've been a little short on time lately but I have this idea for a  personal project I wanna do! It's a collection of recipes i cook a lot with magnet sheets on the cover so it can be stuck to the fridge and used hands free!

Dibs:

--- Quote from: caracalled on January 21, 2024 @535.84 ---Otherwise I've been a little short on time lately but I have this idea for a  personal project I wanna do! It's a collection of recipes i cook a lot with magnet sheets on the cover so it can be stuck to the fridge and used hands free!
--- End quote ---
Ooooh, that sounds both very cool, and like something you'll get to use a lot! I'd love to see it when it's done!

Here are the books I made in the workshop:

The pink one is your average one-signature lil booklet (showing off the binding thread, I loved using beeswax on it), as of yet blank. Then I have an accordion-style one where we got to make the hardback covers from greyboard and bookcloth, and a version without a cover where I experimented with using ink! It's meant to be a progression of micro scales, so on one end is bacteria, and on the other is void and buzzing. Damn just noticed I put it upside down. Oh well, works either way.
If I owned any ink, I'd use some red on the other side to work my way up the macro scale up to the view of the cosmic web, which should look uncannily like the end of the blue side, if I know what I'm doing...

Cobra!:
Ooh! This is a subject I really want to get into. Back when I used social media, I found a very satisfying video where someone wrote a book using the old printing press method, and then leather bound it, and I fell in love. I cannot to save my life find that video, though...

--- Quote from: Dibs on January 21, 2024 @31.22 ---I went to a bookmaking workshop towards the end of 2023 and have since picked up the materials to do some at home! I've been a bit busy, and I'm stuck for interesting ideas on what to do with them, but I'm excited to give it another go. Your ideas about sizing books for specific places has already got my mind whirring. What do you tend to do with your books?

--- End quote ---

Ooh! I didn't know those existed! I should be on the lookout for them where I live!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version