World Wild Web > ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Yet another personal website!

(1/3) > >>

Melvian:
I've just officially launched my website! Right now it's just two animations with extensive behind-the-scenes details and a piece about preconceptions I had to unlearn as I started to pick up art and animation. But soon there will be more animations, some programming projects, character designs, long-form writings on animation theory, maybe even some typefaces??

https://melvian.xyz/updates/2024-01-24_launch/

lime360:
very cool and minimalistic

Paprika:
Very sweet ! It's interesting to see something sober like that ! Ni distracting pictures or moving parts ! I wish you all the best for your website, keep going !

Lyonid:
I love your animations! They're so cute and smooth! I am very interested in what you may post in the future. Your writing on art is very compelling and comes very close to what I perceive as the current form of art we encounter in online discourse. To this day I struggle to find my core identity as an artist, and I think that's neat! It's what motivates me to try silly things and fail miserably.

Melvian:

--- Quote from: lime360 on January 30, 2024 @376.28 ---very cool and minimalistic

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

--- Quote from: Paprika on January 30, 2024 @451.10 ---Very sweet ! It's interesting to see something sober like that ! Ni distracting pictures or moving parts ! I wish you all the best for your website, keep going !

--- End quote ---

Thank you! To be honest, I do kinda like the craziness of some people's personal websites (and I have a soft spot for early 2010s skeuomorphism), but this much more minimalist approach just feels right for me personally.

--- Quote from: Lyonid on January 30, 2024 @597.19 ---I love your animations! They're so cute and smooth! I am very interested in what you may post in the future. Your writing on art is very compelling and comes very close to what I perceive as the current form of art we encounter in online discourse. To this day I struggle to find my core identity as an artist, and I think that's neat! It's what motivates me to try silly things and fail miserably.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy both my animations and my writing!

What if trying silly things is your core identity? When people think of "distinct styles" they think of literal aesthetic decisions or specific subjects that are shared among an artist's work but I personally believe it's much more powerful to define a style based on the process and the way an artist approaches their work. Often times those key aesthetic decisions happen because of an artist's process or beliefs anyway. Trying silly things is a process, and further more the way you do that is going to be different from everyone else!

Also, I suspect all of us are bad at understanding our own styles. I haven't seen this tested in art, although that would be super cool to test, but I have definitely seen this in typeface design. For example:

James Edmondson tried making a plain sans-serif typeface that he thought wasn't his style at all, but his friends totally thought it was: https://ohnotype.co/blog/the-process-of-degular

Kris Sowersby did the same thing too and even marketed the resulting typeface as "They have a deliberate aesthetic of not being designed by anyone in particular." Bethany Heck disagrees.

Also see an interview of his:

--- Quote ---I’ve talked with other type designers about their hand. I’m entirely unaware of mine but Christian [Schwartz] reckons he can spot it a mile off. Conversely, I can see his, as well as Chester’s [Jenkins]. But now that Paul Barnes and Christian collaborate [as Commercial Type] it’s harder to tell, they seem to cancel certain parts out. Hoefler & Frere-Jones are similar in that way.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version