World Wild Web > ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Making Firefox look like Netscape Navigator

(1/1)

elliebees:
Hi all ! Hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot (I don't have a link as its edits to my own browser code rather than a website). I wanted to share a little project I'm working on where I'm editing the CSS code for my Firefox browser to make it look more like Netscape Navigator.  :pc:

I was inspired by the wonderful project FoxScape uC by Michael Walden which themed Firefox to look like NN. I used to have it installed on an older version of Firefox but sadly it hasn't been updated in several years and I couldn't get it working on my current build.

So I decided to create my own custom CSS code for Firefox which actually turned out to be a lot more fun and rewarding than installing someone else's ! This is what my Firefox interface currently looks like, showing my Google homepage.  :eyes:

Some edits I made were replacing all the toolbar and other icons, squaring all the rounded corners I could see, grounding the tabs (rather than having them floating), enabling the menu and title bar, changing the interface font from a washed out blue to black, and installing the theme 'FoxScape Light' from Firefox add-ons to get the right colour scheme.  :smile:

If the image is looking a little compressed on your screen, try opening it in a new tab. I'm not sure if its just my 1024x768 screen messing it up or if its for everyone.  :ohdear:  I thought I'd share just to show a fun in progress project I'm working on, but if anyone has any questions about how to do something similar I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability ! :smile:

Lyonid:
This looks so damn cool. I need this in my life right now. If you get around sharing your process, I'd be SO thankful! I generally never looked into browser theming, so I would love to know how to deal with browser updates. That looks like such a fun project and the result speaks for itself.  :chef:

Cobra!:
Looks so cool! Unfortunately it seems to have stopped supporting new Firefox versions after 2022...

elliebees:

--- Quote from: Lyonid on February 03, 2024 @493.16 ---This looks so damn cool. I need this in my life right now. If you get around sharing your process, I'd be SO thankful! I generally never looked into browser theming, so I would love to know how to deal with browser updates. That looks like such a fun project and the result speaks for itself.  :chef:

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much !!  :ozwomp: I'm so glad you like it.  :smile:

I'm currently putting together a guide on how to do it, and I'll post it here as soon as it's all done.  :pc:

Yaya:
Following! Would be so cool to be able to do this to my browser.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version