World Wild Web > ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Where is the sky of a website?

(1/3) > >>

Melooon:
Everything has an up and a down, everything has an under and an over, and there is always a place that you come from and go to :eyes:

So is the sky of a website at the top of the page (with the ground in the footer)? Or are you in the sky looking down onto the site like a bird looking onto the earth? Or is the site the sky itself and visiting it is like looking up at the clouds?

Are websites skies that we look into and away from our world? Or the other way around? Or are they equal to us, sharing the same horizontal horizon we see when we look out over a sea?

And vice vera is code the underworld watching us, or are we the underworld looking into our browsers?  :evil:  :eyes:  :tongue:

Dibs:
I propose another framework, as someone often dealing with things that do not in fact have ups and downs (space):

The main body is the ecliptic plane, the header and footer the stars clinging on, the taskbar and tabs the glimpses into the gas filaments between galaxies. The code is the dark matter which allows websites to self-gravitate and to collide with each other, all while being invisible to those not trained to spot it...

wygolvillage:
I think of the "whitespace" (or any empty space) as the "sky". All the actual content of the site is the "land". To me, at least!

schiavona:
I may have played way too many side-scrolling platformers in my day, but I kind of see the sky of a webpage to be the background, and the ground to be the foreground. It's interesting to think about.

kurohaato:
A site to me is like a sub sandwich. The site itself is the bread you see and taste first, and the code is all the tasty fillings you put in to make it special. I guess with this view the sky would be the wrapper! A little atmosphere to keep your sandwich fresh that is all around the site in every direction.

Outgoing links are the little bit of olive that somehow landed in the lettuce.

If you expand it out further it means that the infinite void of (cyber)space is a sandwich shop. Would that make every webmaster our own little sun, with the sandwiches our planets? If you have a ton of sites, would that be a solar system? Or are you just a sandwich shop regular? And if we're ordering the sandwiches, who's running the register? Should I stop asking questions before my analogy breaks down? All I know is that this post makes me want a sandwich.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version