Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @19.68 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Self built handhelds (Yarh.io and others)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Self built handhelds (Yarh.io and others)  (Read 451 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: May 23, 2023 @245.39 »

After the Steam Deck, I am watching modded handhelds with interest. To my surprise, there is a growing community of people who are interested in building their own, and sharing their process and what parts they are using. With 3D printing more accessible than ever plus available PC parts, creating your own machine is not as difficult anymore.

What they are building isn't necessarily suited for gaming, but a handheld PC that is not a smartphone. With the old tech and tinkering enthusiasts here (who might not like to use smartphones as well), I assumed this might catch your eye:

These are by Yarh.io, which showcases and sells Raspberry Pi based handhelds while also sharing the sources and details on the projects.

I stumbled upon it because of an article written by someone else creating their own handheld using the information Yarh.io provides - the Decktility by ByteWelder:

It might remind you of the Blackberry smartphones back before the iPhone :smile:

Do you know of any other self-built handheld projects or attempted to build your own?

What amazes me personally is the potential to create something smartphone-esque in terms of portability and on-the-go checking of resources (if you choose to build in cellular, and GPS for maps/nav), while not being hindered by either software or existing hardware in your device. You could have USB ports, other ports, and maybe a headphone jack, regardless of what is currently offered on the phone market, running the stuff you want and having the layout and size you need.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023 @273.46 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023 @286.24 »

I've been considering these to make my own MP3 player similar to the classic iPods with the benefits of modern storage, hardware, and batteries. However I don't have the skill and equipment to make theses.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4356
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
we built this city on stolen gifs

Started by luluBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 2111
Last post December 27, 2023 @613.38
by PurpleHello98
A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 17
Views: 1560
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi