Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @321.00 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  your favorite 'sad' or unconventional christmas music

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: your favorite 'sad' or unconventional christmas music  (Read 444 times)
freaksaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: mortalboy

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: December 17, 2023 @765.78 »

i know a lot of people (me included) have mixed feelings about the holidays, so over the last decade or so i've been collecting songs, usually modern ones, that express the same sentiment about christmastime/the holidays. when almost every christmas song is tooth-achingly sweet, it's nice to have a break and be a bit more realistic from time to time. i'll list some of my favorites here, but i'd love to hear yours as well!

one of my favorite bands of all time, saintseneca (please check them out if you love indie folk like me!), has a tradition of releasing a holiday/christmas themed song every year. here's a few of them:

another great band, from indian lakes, put out this song when i was a very hormonal depressed teenager and it was so incredibly cathartic to hear - i'm still so thankful they released it.

have you guys heard of neil young?....pretty cool stuff......
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023 @769.44 »

I really like the goth/ethereal record label Projekt's Christmas compilation albums (Excelsis vol. 1 and 2). All the covers feel really dark in a cozy and warm way... If that makes sense. There are a ton of bands I like on the comps as well and it always gets me in the wintery mood.

Salty
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Internet Renaissance Woman

StatusCafe: saltedslug
iMood: saltedslug

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023 @772.72 »

I loved that second track!! So good. I also love Christmas music, but mostly the stuff that isn't played in your local department store over and over again. As someone who worked in retail for a long time, it mostly drives me insane now.   :tnt:

I feel like if you like indie folk you would definitely like the Magnetic Fields' Christmas song. It's called "Everything is One Big Christmas Tree". It's silly. Also, "You Won't Love Me By Christmas" from Miniature Tigers is in a similar vein. Very late '00s folk revival, Iron & Wine kinda stuff. Hope you like em!

freaksaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023 @784.75 »

I loved that second track!! So good. I also love Christmas music, but mostly the stuff that isn't played in I feel like if you like indie folk you would definitely like the Magnetic Fields' Christmas song. It's called "Everything is One Big Christmas Tree". It's silly. Also, "You Won't Love Me By Christmas" from Miniature Tigers is in a similar vein. Very late '00s folk revival, Iron & Wine kinda stuff. Hope you like em!

yes!! i love the magnetic fields sm. i've heard of miniature tigers but haven't listened so i'll check them out today. thanks for the recs! you have great taste  :ha:

Salty
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Internet Renaissance Woman

StatusCafe: saltedslug
iMood: saltedslug

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023 @789.24 »

yes!! i love the magnetic fields sm. i've heard of miniature tigers but haven't listened so i'll check them out today. thanks for the recs! you have great taste  :ha:

Hell yeah, hope you enjoy. Same to you!  :innocent:  I love Miniature Tigers. Most of their stuff is more stereotypical '10s indie rock but still really good. If you're more into '60s-influenced stuff, I would highly recommend their frontman Charles Brand's solo album, "Monsoons". Really great wall of sound-type stuff, makes ya cry and think Brian Wilson penned it.

freaksaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023 @790.02 »

Hell yeah, hope you enjoy. Same to you!  :innocent:  I love Miniature Tigers. Most of their stuff is more stereotypical '10s indie rock but still really good. If you're more into '60s-influenced stuff, I would highly recommend their frontman Charles Brand's solo album, "Monsoons". Really great wall of sound-type stuff, makes ya cry and think Brian Wilson penned it.

WOAH, this is an amazing recommendation. i'm always looking for more 60s inspired stuff and this sounds perfect  :transport:

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023 @286.53 »

I have two choices for when it comes to unconventional holiday tunage: Aurora Borealis by Lemon Demon (animated by Byona), which is only one song off the album I Am Become Christmas. It's a super fun beat about falling in love at Christmastime whilst the apocalypse descends.

The other is Christmas at the End of Time by unlimited cotton, which is the only holiday album to really take me back to my childhood, with the old sampling and Caretaker-style dissolving of memory. It really captures that fuzzy feeling that one gets in the night with all the lights twinkling in the dark; or the faint memory of being at a relative's house for a holiday party that you barely remember, save for the smell of sugar and the way the light reflected off the chintzy wrapping paper.

Tiny Roman Appreciator

Darmodej

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024 @712.23 »

ano, ja jsem on
Ved
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024 @35.00 »

Probably not what you meant but, uh... definitely unconventional!

I lose nothing in this attempt
MrsMoe
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024 @186.39 »

One of my favorite Christmas songs is 7 O'clock News by Simon and Garfunkle. It's a regular cover of Silent Night for the most part, but it's elevated a LOT by having a disturbing news report from the radio. Phoebe Bridgers even did her own version of it.

inbtwn
Casual Poster

It's the real.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024 @173.31 »

okay. how the heck has this banger of a track not been posted in here yet?! for shame :V

LCD Soundsystem - Christmas Will Break Your Heart

glitchlynx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024 @683.23 »

There's quite a few interesting vaporwave Christmas projects out there, trying to capture nostalgia for shopping at the mall during Christmas time or staying up late watching Christmas movies. Here's one that's focused on the latter :

FANTASY☆DELUXE CHRISTMAS EVE HOLIDAY SPECIAL by FANTASY☆DELUXE

Vaporwave is a genre that often sits between sad, nostalgic, and cozy, with a little bit of a critique of consumerism sprinkled on top, so it only makes sense that there would be Christmas vaporwave.

I also really like the Christmas releases from an EDM label called Monstercat... this is probably not at all the vibe you are looking for, but I'll mention it anyway. I think my favorite Christmas song from them is Deck the Halls (It's Time to Die). Its a Christmas song about a robot invasion. I simply have to mention it. :chef:

Monstercat - Holiday Hits by FWLR

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 14
Views: 3119
Last post April 13, 2024 @766.34
by oerrorpage
[Open Call] Favorite Recipes

Started by NightdriftBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 4
Views: 1649
Last post December 16, 2021 @301.70
by cinni
If you had the ability to eat anything, what would be your new favorite food?

Started by Icey!Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 29
Views: 2986
Last post November 07, 2023 @809.28
by Capybara

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi