Interests Zone > © ∙ Music Room

Oddly specific bands / styles of music you like?

(1/2) > >>

McMagnetic:
OK, this might just be me, but I love ska and punk music SPECIFICALLY from the Orange County area in the 90s...
I was wondering if anyone else had, for any reason, a weird bias for music from a certain area in a certain timeframe....

schiavona:
While I'm not sure if this is specific enough, I'm a big fan of European Power Metal from between the years of 1997 to 2011. Earlier than that and I don't think the genre has really sort of found its own voice, and later than that and things start to get really silly (not that I MIND the silliness, I just don't think it plays to the strengths of the genre.)

--- Quote ---I love ska and punk music SPECIFICALLY from the Orange County area in the 90s...
--- End quote ---

What exactly about this particular era appeals to you the most, if you don't mind me asking? (I don't know anything about Ska!)

Seraphim:
Hopefully this isn't TOO specific, I was reminded how much I love Revolutionary Girl Utena's OST. This was spawned by a scene in the later season of Steven Universe (spoilers beware) that has a killer piano in the middle. I'm not sure what this style of music is called to be honest, but it captures this sense of grand dramatics and elegance that is very specifically 90's shojo anime. But listening through the OST again, I had forgotten just how much of a rock slant it has. Here's the OST if folks are curious.

PurpleHello98:
One of my favourite little sub-genres is Koreanized new jack swing in k-pop! An example from the original swing of popularity would be I'm Your Girl by S.E.S. and a more recent example is Ring Ring Ring by my favourite group Verivery. I don't know exactly what it is, but something about the way the genre is, probably to do with the beat, is just so fun and makes me so energetic! It's also very earwormy as well, and danceable, which help.

McMagnetic:

--- Quote from: schiavona on March 06, 2024 @80.13 ---What exactly about this particular era appeals to you the most, if you don't mind me asking? (I don't know anything about Ska!)

--- End quote ---

I really really enjoy the stories a lot of the bands had, like how they had formed or they kind of nutty stuff they got into, and also the fact that they were all just pals (with some exceptions hahahaha)
Music-wise, they were all really hyper and goofy. Bands like The Aquabats (my favorite!!!), Jeffries Fan Club, and Pocket Lent all had this super unserious, fun energy and it was so great. The brass was crazy cuz most horn players were highschoolers in marching band, and the singers were all horrible at singing!!! it was great!1!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version