Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @158.33 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 842.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  rainworld

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: rainworld  (Read 1511 times)
soapfriendo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

soap, it/they

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: soapfriendo

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: March 07, 2024 @356.69 »

since december i've gotten suuuper into a game called rainworld, for the ppl who don't know anything abt it, it's a survival-platformer game where u play as a creature thing called a slugcat and travel through an abandoned society getting food and avoiding predators, and eventually uncover all the secrets of the world ur traveling through. i mainly got into it for the lore but since all of it is usually unknown to first-time players until they either see it for themselves or just read it on the wiki, it's technically all spoilers so i can't talk abt it here. there are three vanilla slugcat campaigns and five more with the dlc installed that are much more lore-focused and story based and generally the game is hard as hell but i love it to death lol
i'll talk abt technical spoiler related stuff here lol
i think the biggest thing that got me into the game in the first place was the iterators, i'm a huuuge sucker for cute robots and computers and looks to the moon is especially a beauty to me and i wanna give her a huuge smooch on the face......i also just rly like industrial stuff and tragic stories n weird biomechanism and rainworld has a lot of that. here's some doods i did of the downpour scugs and some of the iterators btwww

aaaaaand here is me after going through the painstaking process of getting three pearls and giving them to moon
[close]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024 @363.84 by soapfriendo » Logged

Riqo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Guess what I wear as a hat .. an eyeball!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: riqo
iMood: nasunikki

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024 @774.51 »

I loveeee Rain world!!! I first saw It in a Video talking about it's ecosystem And it just Sold me LOL ... All the Creatures were Just Unique and Fascinating in their Own way it was Real cool to See! Bought it on Steam and the Purchase was SO WORTH IT ... :smile: At first The gameplay Was hard, and I sucked (As all new Players are XD ...), but When I started getting the Hang of it, It was Super fun!!! I'm not Rlly smart when it Comes to How coding These kinds of Games work but The mechanics Involving Movement Sure are Impressive And the entire Thing Just feels so Fluid :ok:! I wasn't Even aware of The lore Until I actually started Playing but man ... Once I learned about it ... It was Great :omg:! I'm a Huge fan Of Tragic Stories and Rain World absolutely Does not fail In this Category!!! I Empathize with the Iterators a Lot ... Especially Five Pebbles! With such a Profound story, Beautiful Areas that Present different Styles of Gameplay, Unique Creature designs and Mechanics, Music that is Both Gorgeous and Catchy, and well SO MUCH MORE STUFF LOL, Rain World really Is just an Altogether Amazing Game!!! More people Need 2 Play it, especially with The Stuff the DLC brings to the Table!

Also, your Doodles ROCK! There's so much Personality in the Way you draw Both the iterators and Slugcats! Wonderful Job! :grin:

Have a nice dream ...
Kolo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: kolo

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024 @848.83 »

Watching Rain World steadily grow in popularity and get the recognition it deserves has been wild. I've been following it since like... 2018ish? when my younger sibling got it on a whim and we struggled like mad to get through it. I tried looking up guides for how to progress up the Wall backwards and spoiled myself on the story, which blew my mind at the time that such a simple little "cat" platformer had such a depth of ideas and lore behind it. I instantly dug through all the logged Pearl dialogue and it wormed its little sluggy way into my heart ever since. Bought it on other platforms and bought Downpour everywhere, too! It's really a gem.

⋆。˚⋆.°˖✧ there is a dream world many miles inside me ✧˖°.⋆ ˚。⋆
⋆。˚⋆.°˖✧ and i go there when i can ... many miles haunting me ✧˖°.⋆ ˚。⋆
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024 @649.18 »

Rainworld is such a unique treasure of a game! I got it as part of a Humble Bundle ages ago and was terrible at it. But years later, my kid got into playing it and we explored the lore and the world together, and it is much deeper than it seems at first glance.

They really managed to nail the "realness" of the enemy AI, in a way that makes you feel small and unimportant, and I'd love to recreate that myself some day. I'm a big fan of games that make you feel small and defenseless in general, because it encourages you to play in more creative ways, rather than just mowing everything down and becoming godlike. Subnautica is another game that nails it, and it's another one of my favorites.

I find the story to be very sad, in a bittersweet sort of way, although my kid said they thought it was triumphant--I guess I feel more emotional about things ending than they do.

Lofthousezzz

MEGA MAN SWEEEEP

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024 @964.54 »

I don't have much to add other than the fact that I looove your art! I love how you draw the iterators especially ^_^

Check out my Flight Rising page!
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024 @569.65 »

I've had RainWorld on my steam wishlist for far too long lol - maybe I should get it when I get paid because the premise of a slugcat exploring anything is just delightful.

dote

donut police officer but aaaactualy a weasel

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024 @554.54 »

rain world is literally one of my favourite games of all time everything about it is just perfect :chef: . the music, the art, the complex movement system and combat (gameplay), the ambience, the lore, the level design is just perfect. obviously i have a few gripes with it (daddy long legs and rain deer) but those glaring issues are kinda just masked by all of the other good stuff... your art is very cool btw

soapfriendo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

soap, it/they

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024 @974.93 »

rain world is literally one of my favourite games of all time everything about it is just perfect :chef: . the music, the art, the complex movement system and combat (gameplay), the ambience, the lore, the level design is just perfect. obviously i have a few gripes with it (daddy long legs and rain deer) but those glaring issues are kinda just masked by all of the other good stuff... your art is very cool btw

I HAAATE THE RAIN DEERS. it shld not take a whole cycle to go through one room in farm arrays bcos of having to fiddle with the deers but alas

Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024 @47.11 »

The art of all the lil robots and guys from this game is delightful.. I personally havent heard much of Rainworld, but have wanted to try it for some time. Although, the difficulty has kinda been a demotivating factor for me too. Not a big fan of games that are hard for the sake of it, but ive seen lots of people praise Rainworld. Iounno! Seems neat and I like those lil cat guys

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
milo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

whoa!!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024 @293.61 »

I've tried so many times to get into Rain World but it kicks my butt every time. :(

Can anyone give me tips?? I get so lost when I play and never know what I'm doing / what I'm supposed to be doing.

Kolo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2024 @728.16 »

I've tried so many times to get into Rain World but it kicks my butt every time. :(

Can anyone give me tips?? I get so lost when I play and never know what I'm doing / what I'm supposed to be doing.

Firstly: this is absolutely the intention of the game. At the beginning, you are controlling an awkward little creature you have no familiarity with in a world that does not care and will eat you anyways. If you want to push through the game, you have to accept that you will die. A lot. And not all of those deaths will feel fair or reasonable, but that's the nature of the simulation.

At the start, just try to get used to playing as a slugcat. Try to understand how to move, jump, throw things. I know the tutorial gives you basic guidance, but it doesn't give you comfort with the controls. It's totally fine to spend a lot of time in the first area just trying to explore, gather food, and sleep, as there's no overarching time-limit in game, just the daily cycle time limit.

Once you feel more comfortable with moving around, study the other creatures. They have their own personalities, desires, and interactions with one another. Understanding the limits of their abilities helps you make the snap-second decisions you need to learn how to survive. If you enter a room and there's two green lizards fighting, but a path well above the scuffle, you don't have to turn tail, you can just go over their heads. But if there's two pink lizards, the nuances of that decision will be different and maybe you will turn back.

You only have to move forwards into more difficult regions if you feel like you're capable of it. There are new things to explore in these regions that you may find rewarding - new creatures, new settings, and new environmental objects. Take your time learning the nuances of each area as you go through.

Eventually, you will hit a point where movement is natural, where exploration comes freely and easily, and you can fight or flee or launch yourself anywhere you please. This is the stage where the game feels freeing, exhilarating, because it's opened up to you. But it can take a long time to get to this stage, and if you're not having any fun on the journey there, it's okay to put it down, too.

milo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

whoa!!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2024 @756.20 »

Firstly: this is absolutely the intention of the game. At the beginning, you are controlling an awkward little creature you have no familiarity with in a world that does not care and will eat you anyways. If you want to push through the game, you have to accept that you will die. A lot. And not all of those deaths will feel fair or reasonable, but that's the nature of the simulation.

At the start, just try to get used to playing as a slugcat. Try to understand how to move, jump, throw things. I know the tutorial gives you basic guidance, but it doesn't give you comfort with the controls. It's totally fine to spend a lot of time in the first area just trying to explore, gather food, and sleep, as there's no overarching time-limit in game, just the daily cycle time limit.

Once you feel more comfortable with moving around, study the other creatures. They have their own personalities, desires, and interactions with one another. Understanding the limits of their abilities helps you make the snap-second decisions you need to learn how to survive. If you enter a room and there's two green lizards fighting, but a path well above the scuffle, you don't have to turn tail, you can just go over their heads. But if there's two pink lizards, the nuances of that decision will be different and maybe you will turn back.

You only have to move forwards into more difficult regions if you feel like you're capable of it. There are new things to explore in these regions that you may find rewarding - new creatures, new settings, and new environmental objects. Take your time learning the nuances of each area as you go through.

Eventually, you will hit a point where movement is natural, where exploration comes freely and easily, and you can fight or flee or launch yourself anywhere you please. This is the stage where the game feels freeing, exhilarating, because it's opened up to you. But it can take a long time to get to this stage, and if you're not having any fun on the journey there, it's okay to put it down, too.

Cool, those are great tips!! Thank you!

I'm a huge Souls series fan, so I'm certainly no stranger to dying lots and lots and lots. The only difference being in Souls games when I died I would usually be able to pinpoint my mistake. But I found myself dying or getting captured in Rain World and just kinda being like "uhhhhhh what??"... but like you said, that's kinda the point of the game! Which I'm totally about, it's just that this iteration seems to be a bit more nuanced in the way the world communicates with the player.

I think my main issue was trying to "get through" the game too early. I appreciate the tip about just hanging out and getting used to things, because I did find myself wanting to get to "level 2" of the world before I'd even understood how "level 1" works.

Kolo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2024 @880.03 »

Cool, those are great tips!! Thank you!

I'm a huge Souls series fan, so I'm certainly no stranger to dying lots and lots and lots. The only difference being in Souls games when I died I would usually be able to pinpoint my mistake. But I found myself dying or getting captured in Rain World and just kinda being like "uhhhhhh what??"... but like you said, that's kinda the point of the game! Which I'm totally about, it's just that this iteration seems to be a bit more nuanced in the way the world communicates with the player.

I think my main issue was trying to "get through" the game too early. I appreciate the tip about just hanging out and getting used to things, because I did find myself wanting to get to "level 2" of the world before I'd even understood how "level 1" works.

Understandable! I think it's helpful to remember that in Rain World, you are a little animal who is not very high up the food chain at all. It's reasonable to see another creature and assume it can/will eat you easily - like any prey animal assumes of other beasts! Don't expect to fight anything or do battle - while you can, especially as you become skilled at the game, it's a significant risk and very dangerous. Definitely observe those creatures and try to understand them! See what they react to, the noises they make, their body language, what they investigate, how they approach. There was a lot of thought and care put into the way they react to things and emote, so that the player can try to guess at what they're thinking organically.

Most of the decisions you'll make revolve around risk. Is this path worth it? Should I hibernate here? When you die, try to evaluate what risk you might've taken that resulted in a poor outcome, and consider the different options you could've taken. If you died because you jumped down a screen right into a lizard's jaws, for example, perhaps the answer is to more cautiously approach screen transitions, or turn up your volume to try to hear if there are any other things around you.

I hope you enjoy it a bit better next time you play!!

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2024 @71.26 »

There is this one pretty good horror game called KinitoPET that I think would fall under that

basically its like Bonzi Buddy but evil but it is done pretty good with some 4th wall break stuff

new to oldnet be nice

soapfriendo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

soap, it/they

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2024 @165.82 »

There is this one pretty good horror game called KinitoPET that I think would fall under that
idk what u mean when you say that kinitopet is similar to rainworld when it's literally a generic hypnospace-esque game but with the "it's a children's thing but ooooooooooohhhhh spooky and scary" type thing that's been done a million times lol

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi