Art & Games > ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

finding assets for collage?

(1/2) > >>

rigel:
something i've always wanted to dabble in with is (digital) collage - i love the maximalist/mixed media feel they can give, plus i just think it would be a fun medium to experiment with! i actually have done something like this before for an assignment in one of my previous uni classes, however i remember being a little intimidated when it came to finding images/assets. i do not want to unintentionally steal something off from someone's original work for my own pieces, especially if they disapprove of any usage of it

i usually go to tumblr blogs that are solely dedicated to uploading pngs, but i'm curious if there's any other approaches more experienced collage artists go through with (sources for where they get their stuff, if they make their own, etc.) i would love to know! :dive:

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft:
I don't do collages, but for one of the projects that I did solo (without my gfx-friend), I used pictures from Wikimedia Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/
They are legal to use, as long as you release your work under a compatible license.

TheFrugalGamer:
I'm going to self-promote and plug one of my own sites here, but I'll also link some others.

* I've got a collection of public domain images I periodically add to here: https://www.thefrugalgamer.net/freeimages/. It's searchable and tagged.
* Public Domain Review is a newsletter that grabs stuff from all over the web, and it's one of my favorite places to read and get cool images.
* Old Book Illustrations is similar, but is limited to books
* The Fat Strawberry is an old-style website that has a lot of brushes and tiled backgrounds with an old-web aesthetic
* Melooon also has Texture Town, which I use frequently
* And lastly, if you can conceive of it, there is a github list for it. Here's an Awesome Stock Resources list that's got all sorts of stuff that might help
I also frequently go through Archive.org for fun, and I'll grab any old book images that I like while I'm there (that's where I got most of the images for my database). Once you've built up a collection it gets a bit easier to sift through and find what you need. Hope that helps!

Scootarooni:
I don't have any cool resources on hand, but ages ago I would make watercolor washes to overlay on my digital art to give it texture. I don't know how helpful that would be for you, but you're welcome to use them nonetheless! Here's the google drive link :ha:

victoriana:
When I was starting out, I referenced Zine Crisis' resources for zines a lot.

For public domain artwork (especially old paintings and illustrations), I use the British Library's Flickr page and artvee. Here's a helpful reddit thread on the subject with more links.

I also browse blogs on Tumblr that curate old art , or create pngs of art and odd objects (my favorite for this is snailspng, I also had a now inactive blog of my own clips ready for collage use.

The Internet Archive is also handy. I sometimes look at old textile catalogs or designs, like the ones by William Morris or Maurice Pillard.

I think Halftone Hospital is also a good resource for any artist, they have textures, brushes, and other stuff for personal and commercial use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version