World Wild Web > ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

What's your opinion on works in progress/unfinished pages?

(1/4) > >>

bear:
I know we've all run into unfinished/WIP pages and sites while exploring, but I'd like to narrow this down more to: In your opinion, when is the right time to publish a page?

A few examples and edge cases to get the ball rolling:

* A clearly unfinished home page, but the rest of the site is accessible and filled with content
* A blog with only one blogpost
* Half-finished shrine(s)
* Under Construction warning pages
* Broken/nonexistent navigation links
* Art/photo galleries with one or two images
* A page that houses links that are WIPs or nonexistent
What should you do with a page before it's ready to be linked to? Do you share your works in progress on your site, or do you wait until there's a good amount of content? Does one thing on a page justify it being published? Is there a largely agreed upon definition of what makes something a WIP vs. a "finished" webpage that gets updated regularly?

I'm excited to hear more opinions on this topic! Also, please don't take any of my examples to mean these things are bad to have on your site, I've had nearly all of them at some point on mine.

Kolo:
As long as there's something unique or relevant on the page I still enjoy looking at it. It makes me want to come back to it later and see if it's improved. But if the majority of a site's links are blank... I dunno. I give up and stop looking after  a while, especially if I can't tell from the link whether or not a page will have any content.

An unfinished homepage would probably make me click away, but I'm thinking like - a page so unfinished it doesn't have links to other content or any description of the site. A homepage is like the welcome foyer to me; if it's undecorated, then is the rest of the house even built?

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft:
Unfinished Websites/WIPs don't bug me much; I check them out, and if there is not much to see, I just won't stay for long - but since it only takes the time to click the link, its okay. I'm mainly interested in DIY video games, and if I spent time to get download a game or even have to invest additional time to make it running (compiling or compatibility) and then it is only a barely functional demo, I'm pissed.

wygolvillage:
I usually try to have all my ducks in a row before I start to make the final version of a page public, graphics, assets, text content, features, functions, etc. But I'm not too bothered by finding a page that's not complete since all things online are always kind of "under construction".

Seemingly functional links/buttons to parts of a site that don't exist yet, though... Those I'm less of a fan of. So many times I'll see a cool looking site but a good handful of the interesting looking links on the navbar don't lead anywhere because there's not a page yet... I dunno maybe it's because it's one of those things I can never imagine doing myself xP

xero333:
I started making my personal site then just didn't have any time to carry on, so it's sitting with the homepage slightly done and literally nothing else lol. I hope when I get some more free time to carry on with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version