Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @424.35 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Making My Desktop Look More Windows 7-like

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Making My Desktop Look More Windows 7-like  (Read 277 times)
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: March 12, 2024 @136.98 »

Hey guys, I transformed my PC into something more like windows 7 recently, and this'll be like a thread showing how I did it but it'll also be like a resource for anyone who wants to do the same :)

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Aero Glass and Aero theme :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

If you've ever used windows 7 or vista, you probably recognize the frosted glass bubbles that the windows were encased in, being all reflective and diffusing all the stuff behind it like actual frosted glass. Unfortunately, this got removed in Windows 10, but luckily, there are ways to get it back
If you use Windows 10 below version 1909, you can download a special piece of software to reenable these kinds of windows, which is at https://web.archive.org/web/20220517180157/https://www.glass8.eu/. Unfortunately, after 1909, they removed the functionality of glass windows, so the next best thing is to use DWMBlurGlass, which brings back the glass windows, and works with some other pieces of software. Along with getting it, I also turned on the secret theme hidden in Windows called "Aero Lite", which you can access by copying the regular Aero theme in the files, renaming it Aero Lite, and changing some code in the file; theres a more in depth tutorial here https://winaero.com/enable-the-hidden-aero-lite-theme-in-windows-10/

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Open Shell :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

This is a pretty neat program, its a remake of the classic Start menu with a bunch of different customization options such as unique start buttons, different menu skins, animation options, taskbar textures and colors, and a restored File Explorer thats more like the one in earlier Windows versions.
The start button I chose was this one

And I am using the Aero skin, which looks like this

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Winaero Tweaker :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

I said about how you could do stuff like change your theme to Aero Lite, but you can do that and much more with this app
Not only are there general tweaks that can be done, but you can turn off telemetry and ads, add new commands to the context menu, and even reinstall the old Windows 7 games! Like Purble Palace and Minesweeper and whatnot. Theres also the calculator, widgets, and other apps too.

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Windows 7 Icons :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

This ones pretty self-explanatory, I just changed the icons to their windows 7 equivalents. I used an app called Windows 7 IconPack by 2013Windows8.1. It changed all the icons to Windows 7 ones and it looks pretty nice ^^

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Using non-metro apps :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

I could go on for multiple weeks about how annoying and bland these simplistic designs are and how little character and customization they have, which is why i think more people should use the old windows apps, like Windows Media Player and Windows Picture Viewer and MS Paint. Luckily, you can choose to set these as defaults, which is pretty nice! I currently set my media player to WMP over Media Player, and WPV over Photos.

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Final touches :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

After all of that, I installed some xtra classic screensavers like the 3D Maze, since I think theyre just really cool to look at. They add a pretty good touch to an already thoroughly customized system. I could also change the sounds to windows 7 ones, but im already used to the sounds I use currently.

:ozwomp:  :ozwomp: Conclusion :ozwomp:  :ozwomp:

In conclusion, I think that the looks and feels of Windows 7 and earlier versions was a lot friendlier? Yeah i know its weird to be attached to a style but i feel like whenever i see that new bare bones style that everything uses, its just really sickening cuz theres no colors, no fun doodads or doohickeys, no interesting concepts or anything, its entirely optimized for not giving a shit. Thats why i like stuff with interesting designs and artistic inspiration all over it.
I actually downloaded a Microsoft Plus ISO off of archive.org while looking for screensavers and when I opened it, I heard the W95 startup sound, which surprised me at first, but then i thought it was kinda comforting that the CD was actually 'inviting' me to see it. Compared to that, the new designs are like walking barefoot on a rocky gravel street.

* Screenshot 2024-03-11 222235 (Small).png (442.32 kB, 853x480 - viewed 44 times.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024 @142.40 by DiffydaDude » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024 @559.53 »

Oh, this is cool! And also this is a really well-put-together guide  :ozwomp:  I always enjoyed Windows 7, but I secretly liked Vista a lot too  :ziped:

I'm still on the lookout for something that can make the Windows 11 taskbar get a custom look. DWMBlurGlass is handy to know about!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024 @761.84 »

This is really cool! If I ever get a PC again, I'll be sure to follow in your footsteps. I have heard a lot of good things about the WindowsBlinds software and a very accurate Aero theme for that, if you're willing to spend money---if I get a PC, I'll probably be willing to spend that.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024 @96.66 »

This is really cool! If I ever get a PC again, I'll be sure to follow in your footsteps. I have heard a lot of good things about the WindowsBlinds software and a very accurate Aero theme for that, if you're willing to spend money---if I get a PC, I'll probably be willing to spend that.

You might be able to do it for a Mac too (ur a mac user right?)
Unfortunately i dont know about how to make it look aero styled, but i will be making a tutorial on how to do it for firefox in this thread

D3M0N5

Boredom, the step before successful art

iMood: D3M0N5

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024 @102.65 »

This is really cool! I'll definitely try this out once I get my hands on a proper pc. All I've got currently is a Chromebook...I'm dying inside ;-; I'll upload a screenshot once I do it! :)

DEMONIC POST
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024 @707.22 »

You might be able to do it for a Mac too (ur a mac user right?)
Unfortunately i dont know about how to make it look aero styled, but i will be making a tutorial on how to do it for firefox in this thread

Honestly, I doubt Macs could do such a thing these days seeing how they're more locked down than ever (mine pitches a fit if I try to load a program that's not from an approved developer, even if it's the most innocuous thing in the world) but it may very well be! I'll have to check it out.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1767
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!
php heck: making a search engine

Started by cinniBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 1476
Last post February 22, 2022 @256.30
by ellievoyyd
making a game character in blender

Started by cinniBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 7
Views: 2122
Last post June 08, 2022 @501.32
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi