Forum Hub > ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions

well, hello there!!

(1/2) > >>

onemuri:
hello! i got finally accepted here!

you can call me justin or onemuri. i am a random guy who's been online since 2008ish! i maintain a personal website over here! i host my artwork and some writing there.

besides that, i maintain 2 projects: a Fediverse node/community for transgender men and transmasculine people running on Akkoma software over there and a pet adoption/web clique website here

i mainly daily drive both Windows 11 and Windows XP, i do not like Linux and hate people who try to push it onto me  :grin: let's respect our choices!

as a personal note, i myself am transgender, own a cute orange kitty and usually play video games on my Nintendo Wii or 3DS! my favorite music genre is rock or anything that is upbeat. my favorite song currently is In the End by Linkin Park

looking forward to meet you all! i will answer most of your questions  :ozwomp: i love meeting people from all around the world  :happy:

Bone-A Lisa:
Hello!

I am also new, nice to meet ya! I really dig your website! Can I ask, how did you get your last.fm latest track on there? I would love to be able to do something like that on my site, considering I track all my listens on there, lol.

Also, awesome to see you're on the fed, I've considered running my own instance for my friends, but the overhead of Mastodon just doesn't seem worth it lol. Is Akkoma any easier to host from a maintenance / setup perspective?

onemuri:

--- Quote from: Bone-A Lisa on March 14, 2024 @922.73 ---Hello!

I am also new, nice to meet ya! I really dig your website! Can I ask, how did you get your last.fm latest track on there? I would love to be able to do something like that on my site, considering I track all my listens on there, lol.

Also, awesome to see you're on the fed, I've considered running my own instance for my friends, but the overhead of Mastodon just doesn't seem worth it lol. Is Akkoma any easier to host from a maintenance / setup perspective?

--- End quote ---

i used this guide and then kinda personalized the widget  :ok: you might need some adjustments though

i will say, the current instance is not managed by me in the technical sense (i do community moderation), but when i was setting up single-user instances i found Akkoma to be more lightweight and easier to manage than Mastodon (no need to use SSH to change something as simple as character limit)

in many ways Akkoma is better than Mastodon (again, it's lightweight; but also users can make their own themes as they please, there are more diverse moderation tools than on Mastodon, it has emoji reactions which isn't a feature on stock Mastodon and is only about to be introduced in its most famous fork and i personally find the UI better and more aligned with the "old web" if you are into that sort of thing)

but one thing Akkoma suffers from is that there can be incidents of "database rot" which is why users are extra recommended to make backups and stuff so the instance doesn't die beyond recovery. overall it's the best option IMO because it helps defeating the monopoly Mastodon holds over the SNS parts of Fediverse and also isn't ignorant of users with low-spec hardware (which is something Misskey and its forks are guilty of, I can't use it without my computer fans turning into a jet engine)

Phoenix:

--- Quote from: onemuri on March 14, 2024 @911.25 ---hello! i got finally accepted here!

you can call me justin or onemuri. i am a random guy who's been online since 2008ish! i maintain a personal website over here! i host my artwork and some writing there.

besides that, i maintain 2 projects: a Fediverse node/community for transgender men and transmasculine people running on Akkoma software over there and a pet adoption/web clique website here

i mainly daily drive both Windows 11 and Windows XP, i do not like Linux and hate people who try to push it onto me  :grin: let's respect our choices!

as a personal note, i myself am transgender, own a cute orange kitty and usually play video games on my Nintendo Wii or 3DS! my favorite music genre is rock or anything that is upbeat. my favorite song currently is In the End by Linkin Park

looking forward to meet you all! i will answer most of your questions  :ozwomp: i love meeting people from all around the world  :happy:

--- End quote ---
Windows XP  :omg:  :pc:

Bone-A Lisa:

--- Quote from: onemuri on March 14, 2024 @949.58 ---i used this guide and then kinda personalized the widget  :ok: you might need some adjustments though
--- End quote ---

This is awesome! I will definitely be sniping this for my site, thanks! :ozwomp:

--- Quote from: onemuri on March 14, 2024 @949.58 ---in many ways Akkoma is better than Mastodon (again, it's lightweight; but also users can make their own themes as they please, there are more diverse moderation tools than on Mastodon, it has emoji reactions which isn't a feature on stock Mastodon and is only about to be introduced in its most famous fork and i personally find the UI better and more aligned with the "old web" if you are into that sort of thing)

but one thing Akkoma suffers from is that there can be incidents of "database rot" which is why users are extra recommended to make backups and stuff so the instance doesn't die beyond recovery. overall it's the best option IMO because it helps defeating the monopoly Mastodon holds over the SNS parts of Fediverse and also isn't ignorant of users with low-spec hardware (which is something Misskey and its forks are guilty of, I can't use it without my computer fans turning into a jet engine)
--- End quote ---

I've heard a bit about Akkoma, but never seem much of it. I do really like the idea of custom themes, especially for an instance among friends. I might give it a shot.

I feel you on the Misskey stuff lol. My instance uses Iceshrimp, which I do like, but boy howdy does it struggle to run smooth on my phone. :drat:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version