Interests Zone > ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Thoughts on Dune 2?

(1/1)

Yaya:
I just saw Dune 2 and I'm kind of mixed about it? I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

First off the cinematography was amazing, the soundtrack was incredible, the supporting cast was phenomenal; I felt immersed in the story and I really felt like I was "there". I didn't get to see it in IMAX or IMAX 70mm which I think would have made me realize just how amazing it was but WOW it was stunning and so well done.

Unfortunately I couldn't help but feel bored through much of it? Unfortunately I think much of that was due to Timothée Chalamet. I thought it was a great casting as Paul is supposed to be kind of obnoxious and unlikable at times, but I just couldn't "buy-in" to what he was experiencing or feeling. I just didn't believe it. Also it doesn't help that he sort of plays the same character/plays himself in all the movies I've seen. Maybe he's just not my cup of tea.

I find that I usually align with the reviewers on Roger Ebert, and this time I did find myself aligning with Brian Tallerico's 3.5/4 star review (pretty good!). In his words:

"As for performers, Chalamet is likely to be the most divisive element, often feeling a bit flat for someone believed to be the Neo of this world. However, those choices add up in a way that makes thematic sense, enhancing the uncertainty of Paul’s rise. Zendaya is solid—although she lacks chemistry with Chalamet that would have helped..."

Personally I would give Dune 3/4 stars, or in grade terms perhaps an A-, which is pretty solid! What are your thoughts?

e-:
Similarly mixed. The most noticeable element to me was the pacing. There are tons of scenes and they all feel like they're fighting with each other for dominance. quiet moments are squeezed and big moments like the climactic battle don't feel quite so impactful because everything's big.
looking back they could have easily pushed the split further into the plot, giving 1 more to do and 2 more room to breath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version