Interests Zone > ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

What did you accomplish today?

(1/6) > >>

Neonriser:
Today, I helped my mum plant carrots and peas in our backyard. I also redesigned the homepage for my portfolio site to make it more relevant and appealing.

What have you accomplished today?

:4u: :pc:

Melooon:
I wanted to start a blog, but it turns out the blogging software I wanted to use was written in 2005 but they never finished it so I had to finish it before I could start my blog :ziped:

I also had a really good serious chat with myself about how life’s going and how I’m feeling about things. I recommend trying that, it’s good (if a little harsh sometimes) :ohdear:

YoungsterJ4y:
I finally booked a hotel for the first time and my partner and I are going to the beach this weekend!! I'm so excited I've never been on a trip alone (well, with my partner, but still) before... :blush:

Guest:
I finished my university semester-long presentation on a language today!

My task was to introduce my peers to the morphosyntactic features of a language of my choosing. I chose a dying language called Tayap from Papua New Guinea, spoken by only like 45 people anymore. A linguist called Don Kulick lived among the people of their village (Gapun) on and off for thirty years to document this language and finally published all his findings in a huge book (A Grammar and Dictionary of Tayap) which is a great, great work honestly. I read the entire thing and I feel so connected to this language now in a way. super fascinating stuff!! :ozwomp:

One embarrassing thing though: I wanted to, while presenting the language, play sound snippets of the language so the people in my class could immerse themselves a bit more. But the only sound snippets (obviously recorded by the same guy that documented the language) are a closed source on a multi-university project that's like UNESCO associated. You can't listen to them, let alone play them for others, without explicit and written permission that gives you access. Super important people! But nonetheless I wrote them, asking for access on this obscure language's material.

A week later (tonight) I got a mail and it was a forwarded EMAIL THREAD of the guy from the project emailing the actual linguist behind it all (Don Kulick) asking for permission! And apparently it was so unlikely for me to be a simple student (I kept that part ambiguous and only said it was for a class) that the linguist assumed that I was a capital-P-Professor and constantly called me Prof. [last name]! :ozwomp:

I mean, I am super grateful, and I did get access, and I am only going to use it for the purposes I stated (for the class, once), but this was so embarrassing XD I am just a meek student, don't judge me lmao

I did do a little happy dance though once I got the mail, not gonna lie

tenkai_no_perusona:
Had a good session with a patient today. I like being a (soon-to-be) therapist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version