Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @405.03 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Roleplaying websites

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Roleplaying websites  (Read 1116 times)
myry
Casual Poster ⚓︎

let's get groovy, mate

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: July 09, 2022 @521.22 »

Maybe there's another term to it besides "roleplaying websites" but what I mean is those kind of websites/forums that had text-based roleplaying with other players. The site would have its own lore and history, and you would make your character, give them a personality and different perks, even add an image of your drawing or from online, and then you would send longer messages in some sorts of chats (they kinda looked like guest books in the sites I used) and interact with other players like this. The site would have events that you could participate in, by writing about your adventure alone in said event, or with other players who'd accompany you. But the point was to write longer pieces of text, so not like a chat room kind of vibe.

The ones I mostly used as a kid were actually usually about adopting like a creature, and then you would write about taking care of it, and playing with it, and visiting other kids and their creatures. <3 And you would get experience points based on your stories, money to buy items for your adoptable, and it would also grow older at the same time. I just think this kind of roleplaying is really cool, and I've been getting back into writing more lately so it'd be perfect for that as well. I've heard of the huge range of this kind of roleplaying sites, from zombie apocalypse to realistic horse-caring to playing as a dragon, but I don't know any active sites right now.

Do you folks know any roleplaying websites? Or did you roleplay in such sites in the past?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022 @680.75 »

These are also called "sims", "sim games", or "play by post/PBP" and have been around forever! :grin:
Star Trek is one of the fandoms whose scenes is the most giant, with several sites hosting hundreds to thousands of players to this day.

I personally liked text-based roleplaying with graphical engine supplement more, as in GTA San Andreas roleplaying, but I also enjoy these forum roleplaying games.

If you want to find some in your favorite fandom, just put in "<name> play by post" or "<name> forum sim" into the web search engine of your choice and see where it leads you!

An active news site for these kinds of games is Ongoing Worlds: http://www.ongoingworlds.com/blog/
myry
Casual Poster ⚓︎

let's get groovy, mate

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022 @732.35 »

These are also called "sims", "sim games", or "play by post/PBP" and have been around forever! :grin:
Star Trek is one of the fandoms whose scenes is the most giant, with several sites hosting hundreds to thousands of players to this day.

I personally liked text-based roleplaying with graphical engine supplement more, as in GTA San Andreas roleplaying, but I also enjoy these forum roleplaying games.

If you want to find some in your favorite fandom, just put in "<name> play by post" or "<name> forum sim" into the web search engine of your choice and see where it leads you!

An active news site for these kinds of games is Ongoing Worlds: http://www.ongoingworlds.com/blog/

(gasp) This is exactly it!! I love Star Trek, and I'm not surprised at all that they have their own one haha. Thank you SO much, I immediately found a lot of resources by using the "play by post" and "forum sim" search words! And Ongoing Worlds has a great catalogue of worlds as well, this is perfect :ozwomp: :loved: :ozwomp:
tenkai_no_perusona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

あたしは暗い旅に出る

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022 @911.28 »

PBPs are the very reason I can decently read and write English nowadays. I managed to join a few of them during 2013-2014; the one in which I was most active was Call of Time, a TES V: Skyrim PBP. Unfortunately, it's currently dead.

I have many fond memories of the people I've met and the stories I've participated in there.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022 @972.05 »

(gasp) This is exactly it!! I love Star Trek, and I'm not surprised at all that they have their own one haha. Thank you SO much, I immediately found a lot of resources by using the "play by post" and "forum sim" search words! And Ongoing Worlds has a great catalogue of worlds as well, this is perfect :ozwomp: :loved: :ozwomp:

Oh you're in for a treat! There are hundreds of PbP games still ongoing and many of them have been running for decades! The system has been improved so much that there's dedicated software now to make playing them a blast, and people are active in these communities too. And they're always looking for younger people to join and carry on the hobby, because many of them are now oldtimers who started doing this by snail mail or usenet!
Swiftpaw

it/its

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022 @958.28 »

I used to be on a lot of Forums where there were roleplaying sections, but a majority are dead or not as active nowadays. My current active forum is Xanje but I'm disappointed there's almost no active roleplays now. Most of them seemed to have moved onto Discord, though I don't like that format. I'll keep an eye on this thread though to see if anyone links something that catches my eye.

I did find one that seemed interesting, Isnit Weyrd, but it seems to be less active now.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Yesterweb Zine - Issue 02 - Websites as an Act of Creativity - OUT NOW!!

Started by sadnessBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 1472
Last post April 27, 2022 @745.66
by Dojidave
What do you use to code websites?

Started by neoratzBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 62
Views: 5176
Last post October 29, 2023 @752.06
by wetnoodle
HELP: songs in websites

Started by pancitoBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1096
Last post June 07, 2022 @544.83
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi