Interests Zone > ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Languages

<< < (2/7) > >>

Kitchen Staff:
My first language is English and I am currently learning Japanese.I wanna learn Czech, Tagalog, Mandarin and Cantonese in the future, but learning Czech is going to be my priority language because my mom's side of the family is Czech and I only know a few words in it. :grin:

yot:
Well, as someone from Israel my native language is Hebrew and English is my second lang.
I remember that they tried to teach us Arabic in school but that was pretty much a failure :ohdear:
Other than that, I also took a German Class for 1 year, and compared to Arabic I actually remember stuff from it.

Guest:
hii!

Actually excited to see this here because languages and linguistics especially are my biggest hobby by far! :eyes:

I started getting into constructing my own languages (conlanging) when I was like 12, as part of my worldbuilding and writing hobby of the time, and kept learning more and more until I noticed that I basically had the basics of one or two years of university down already just by focusing on that hobby.

So I decided that was what I wanted to do with my life and nowadays I am working on my degree in linguistics and computational linguistics :cheesy: And I was right, I really did know most of the intro courses already.

So yeah, this is both my hobby and my job now, lol
warning: this user may infodump about languages at any point

awawa:
I love language learning and liguistics!! I speak English and Japanese and am slowly trying to learn Spanish as most of my family speaks it. It's also heavily used in the reigion I live in so it's good to know.
The best method I found for studying is a mix of learning to sentence build and a ton of immersion. I was fortunate enough to spend a year abroad in Japan with a host family and attended school, the whole nine yards. Most everyday I spent studying and being immersed helped me retain what I was learning so much more than when I was just studying by myself in the States.

Currently watching telenovelas and trying to speak some Spanish with my family and friends when possible. :ha:

Cobra!:

--- Quote from: awawa on September 01, 2022 @663.89 ---The best method I found for studying is a mix of learning to sentence build and a ton of immersion. I was fortunate enough to spend a year abroad in Japan with a host family and attended school, the whole nine yards. Most everyday I spent studying and being immersed helped me retain what I was learning so much more than when I was just studying by myself in the States.

--- End quote ---
I really want to do this with Scottish Gaelic and Italian, I've found colleges for both in their respective countries, and hope to go to them at some point of my life.

I would love to move to Italy one day, too, because as someone who is really into retro tech, Italy is like a gold-mine! Their second hand shops are absolutely amazing!

--- Quote from: awawa on September 01, 2022 @663.89 ---Currently watching telenovelas and trying to speak some Spanish with my family and friends when possible. :ha:

--- End quote ---

I've been trying to do the same with Italian. My grandmother was Italian, and was always happy to speak her native tongue with family members.

Unfortunately, she passed away during the pandemic, and it seems I'm by far the most fluent in Italian in my family, so I'm stuck with chatrooms and watching videos online.

Though I've begun to notice that I'm now having a much easier time understanding them. I don't rely on subtitles or rewinding nearly as much as I used to!

Do you have Spanish family, then? Or somewhere in Latin America?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version