Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @82.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 918.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  How has the web revival community changed your relationship with the internet?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How has the web revival community changed your relationship with the internet?  (Read 3049 times)
milo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

whoa!!

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2024 @753.10 »

I have been thrilled to discover this whole scene. For a long time I was lamenting the fact that the Internet got slowly taken over by corporate types and techy executives shareholder types with no creativity. All social media got distilled down to a minimalist layout and you get to pic a profile pic... yaaaaay.

It's been super refreshing to discover an Internet that actually gives people control of what they create or post.

di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2024 @889.28 »

I think my relationship with the internet is happier. I find more interesting and neat artistic websites. I feel more inspired by what I see, and I find a lot more stuff that actually makes me feel glad to be alive. Then when I find something I don't like, or I feel burnt out, I just log off and do something else. I don't feel "tethered" to any web revival things as I did with social media, and things don't feel as urgent on the small web.

tetrisk
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2024 @856.09 »

The internet now feels a lot bigger, creative and alive than before. I knew it was possible to make your own website but thought that 1) the learning curve for web dev was way too steep, and 2) that I'd need money to do it (undergraduate lol). There was a time that I so badly yearned for a personal website and tried out Wix and Wordpress, but I just felt really restricted by their drag and drop tools, not to mention the presence of ads and promotional headers since I was using it for free. I was considering opening a Blogger site instead. Months later after giving up, and I accidentally find out about neocities.

Up until that point most of my internet usage was Youtube, Twitter and some Deviantart and Newgrounds. I quickly got in love with the Web Revival. Each website emanates so much personality and genuineness. Building something that is completely yours from the ground up, sharing what you love and care about in whatever way you want, with no algorithmic intervention and optional metrics. I particularly love reading people's About pages and their blogs.

I feel like I'm building a house next to a bunch of other people. If I get tired of working on mine I can always take a stroll and see what other people are making. It's fucking sweet :ozwomp:
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2024 @716.75 »

It really helped me realize the scale of the internet for me personally, as I was stuck in the slog that was the majority of the internet, being that of Twitter / Tumblr and the slop of "content" that it just constantly shoved into my mouth, but seeing the web revival community has made me realize that ive taken such an infinite, vast canvas for granted. I could have made my own little corner for YEARS, but instead I stuck to regular social media and rotted away without having any kind of fun.

I feel like I had this robbed from me in a sense, yknow? But now that ive discovered it im happier than ever :D

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
SiLver
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: SiLverSkelebeast

View Profile WWW

Lego Bionicle !Joined 2024!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024 @872.67 »

I think the web revival community has really positively changed my outlook on the internet as a whole, before I was really getting slogged down in the social media loop, Constantly scrolling through my handful of apps, But now I pretty rarely touch those areas, I think this forum and the web revival community as a whole has really helped me stop some bad habits and it has been much better for my mental health and approach to the internet as a whole.

:skull: Disciple of the Evil Skull since 2007 :skull:
Junebug
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Vanitas Vanitatum Omnia Vanitas

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Vanitas no Carte fanJoined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2024 @847.80 »

The answer is that it hasn't. Personalities don't change over the decades, and in any given year the same kinds of people inhabit the web. Web technology is a mere means of expressing such personalities, and most old web technologies have existed with some amount of popularity all this time. Since the web is a means to an end to me, I find websites more desirable than social media, for reasons such as the way the medium forces people to express themselves, the longevity of the information that is expressed, and the aesthetics that are typically involved.

I'm actually pretty indifferent toward web revival as a movement since philosophically it's not particularly aligned with me, but since I have a taste for websites rather than people's Reddit posts or Twitter threads, I go where the sites can be found. More important to me is whether I can find people who have the same interests as me. I just use web revival forums and sites to direct me to those kinds of people, or when I'm looking for web building resources, or need help troubleshooting.

My preferred programming language is AutoHotKey.

"What you thought was a given was in reality a product of miracles."

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 33
Views: 5125
Last post August 11, 2024 @952.67
by Phoenix
Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 8529
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 37
Views: 15624
Last post July 27, 2024 @845.59
by OnBambisMind

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi